3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

What is the highest setting i can run my smarty on with a trans go?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the highest setting i can run my smarty on with a trans go?

i was wondering what the highest setting i can run my smarty on with the trans go? i have it on sw5 right now. and i am assuming that is as high as im gonna go, but was wondering if i can go higher. i have the trans go done, billet servo cover and super servo, band strut and anchor, gm govenor solenoid and sensor, and billet accumulator check ball removed bands adjusted.
thanks a lot guys
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run mine on sw9. Have Revo.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything over stock torque is likely to slip the lockup clutch. You can run on any setting you want, but when locked and pulling at lower RPM watch for subtle signs of slipping. If you let it go it will get worse and worse till you can't do much without slipping. Try to pull at higher RPM and, when passing on the highway in OD locked, watch for slipping.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run mine on 7, torque 3, timing 2, RP 2 or 3, wastegate off.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raspy
Anything over stock torque is likely to slip the lockup clutch.
He put in a Transgo shift kit to raise the line pressures.

You can run any setting you want with in reason. Low rpm's and hotter tunes are going to stress the stock TC all the way around. Just keep that in mind as you are playing around and you should be good for a bit.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=no_6_oh_no;2462845]He put in a Transgo shift kit to raise the line pressures.

That's fine, but it doesn't mean a stock converter will hold much over stock torque. Some, but not a lot and it sounds like he wants to go as high as he can. The lockup clutch will be the weak link for low RPM high torque pulling.

I have higher line presure in my new VB and an aftermarket converter (not a triple disk) and it has gotten progressively weaker over he last 60,000 miles. Towing or passing I can slip it at will. And this one is way better than the stock one was.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 PM

so your saying that it might be too much power where i have it? i have it set at sw5 tm2 tq2 and rp2

I was actually just wondering what would be safe? i dont really beat on it to bad but i do like to get on it once in a while
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raspy
That's fine, but it doesn't mean a stock converter will hold much over stock torque.
Doesn't mean its going to immediately start slipping when you turn it up either.

For starters its pretty hard to get these trucks into a high TQ low rpm situation with the TC locked without a mystery switch. They will downshift if the rpm's get too low. The Transgo does not override the default behaviour in that aspect, and, it brings full line pressure in by 1600 rpms.

With just the Transgo shift my stocker was holding over 800 ft\lbs of TQ and not slipping. Towing over 10k and never slipped even on grades playing with it.

If the TC is good and one does not totally thrash it the stocker holds up pretty good with a little help. Those are my experiences, but, as always "mileage may vary".
Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 PM

i only have 60,000 miles on the thing so im thinking that it will be ok how did you get to 800 horse just with the smarty? thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no

. The Transgo does not override the default behaviour in that aspect, and, it brings full line pressure in by 1600 rpms.

How much does the Transgo raise line pressure at idle? ...... At WOT?......

Ken
Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1985cucv
i only have 60,000 miles on the thing so im thinking that it will be ok how did you get to 800 horse just with the smarty? thanks
If everything is in good shape you should be OK. I had 40k of Smarty before I did the kit so I had hurt mine just a tad. Live and learn, eh?

Thats 800 TQ not HP. HP was running around 410.

Here is the direct clutch pack at 104k, 50k of Smarty on a stocker, 12k of shift kit and Smarty. I did Seattle WA to Wilmington NC and back, Seattle to San Diego and back towing 5-7k. It was still holding till it finally cut the apply piston seal. TC would slip on #5 or above in the right conditions before shift kit. Never got it to slip after the shift kit.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moneywoes
How much does the Transgo raise line pressure at idle? ...... At WOT?......

Ken
IIRC, the stock pressures were 50 psi at idle an about 120 WOT. After the shift kit it was running 80 psi at idle, around 220 psi at WOT, around 350 psi in reverse. The pressure would jump to right under 200 psi by 1600-1700 rpms and then hit 220 by 2500 rpm's as the PR finally took over.

Those are pre-rebuild numbers with JUST the shift kit when I was trying to track down the above problem. The guy that rebuilt it tightened things up a bit and with the rebuild they are probably a little better. The direct clutch seal was dumping fluid pretty bad so am sure that was affecting the top numbers.

The whole reason I started looking for a problem was a sudden spike in EGT's of about 100 degrees at times and about 20 degrees more trans temp than I was used to.

Hopefully yours is something simple like leaves or stuff interfering with the flow.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM

hmm.

did you install the kit yourself or ddi you have somebody do it? what would a shop charge to slam one in?

greg
Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by greg_bingham
hmm.

did you install the kit yourself or ddi you have somebody do it? what would a shop charge to slam one in?

greg
IIRC, it was $200 with a few other parts but I pulled the VB out and put it back in. I had a friend do it for me and I watched while guarding the beer.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM

i put my own in i would pay someone a hundred to do it but that is about it. i like figiting with things but this is one of them that is like i hope i did it right and i didnt the first time however if you follow the directions spot on you can get it i botched one part and didnt have park. but i got it now and it feels good to say i did it myself

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the highest setting i can run my smarty on with a trans go?