3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What To Do FIRST ! (06)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What To Do FIRST ! (06)

Just got a 2006, 2500, 4x4, Quad-cab. 156Kmi (new Toyo tires)
Truck runs/looks great. Carfax says it had routine maintenance (one-owner); born date: July 2005.
Here's what I'm doing FIRST...basic PM...
--Flush/fill transmission (synthetic)
--Oil change (I've always used "Mystic 15/40 syn-blend" with no issues; KnN filter...I just like the little built-on 'nut')
--Fuel filter (WIX)
--Differential fluid change (planning to use the 'thicker' fluid...southTexas...)
--Coolant flush/fill

SECOND projects (random order; please rank them for me)
--Still has the stock air filter...thinking to change to one of the "open air" set-ups.... y/n?
--Fuel "pusher" ...not sure if the 06's need an aftermarket pump (I liked it on my 2001)...y/n?

Overhead computer reads 18.1 mpg...just on my #1 tank full, so not sure that'll be accurate on paper yet

Any "watch-out for" xxxx or "be sure to check" yyyy items yall suggest? Any typical "leaks" here or there to check? No obvious drips/drops underneath at this time... Belts? Pumps? Additives?

Thanks!

USAF (Ret'd); 06, Laramie, 4x4, Quad; all stock (except Toyo A/T tires)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would do the FASS system first.
AS far as the air box, I actually went back to the stock air box. There are alot of discussion on this subject. I actually did a version of the home depot mod.
I would check ball joints and steering components for wear..ie balljoints,wheel bearings, steering box etc.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
I would do the FASS system first..... a version of the home depot mod.......ball joints and steering components ....
Thanks! (love your signature). So, the 2006 fuel supply system has issues too, huh? (was hoping to avoid that from the 2001 system)

Home Depot mod: I'll have to look up that one...

Oh yeah, forgot the front-end components; tks!

Also, just thought of the U-JOINTS...not sure when/ever they have been changed. I did crawl under and look. Although the previous owner (1) was from S.Texas, the Carfax did give indication of some travel/maintenance in Colorado. When I crawled under, I thought the underside showed signs of having been in snow area (salt).

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick with a paper filter. Get a Smarty Jr. They are inexpensive. You'll be able to read and clear codes.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by CRToney
Stick with a paper filter. Get a Smarty Jr. They are inexpensive. .....
Thanks.
Picked up a 'Bluetooth' OBD code reader ("Kiwi3" by PLX)...pretty nice...allows me to read/clear codes as well as monitor systems. But will look at the SmartyJr.

Paper filter... preference? any I should avoid? recommendation?

Thanks!!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you know when the water pump was last replaced I'd definitely do that as preventative maintenance.

I've had my 06 since new in Feb of 06 with now 159K miles. It has been a great truck and no fuel system problems.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ssandlin
Unless you know when the water pump was last replaced I'd definitely do that as preventative maintenance.....
Water pump--thanks! I've read up on the problems... Might go ahead and get one and carry it with me.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by danalex
Just got a 2006, 2500, 4x4, Quad-cab. 156Kmi (new Toyo tires)
Truck runs/looks great. Carfax says it had routine maintenance (one-owner); born date: July 2005.
Here's what I'm doing FIRST...basic PM...
--Flush/fill transmission (synthetic)
--Oil change (I've always used "Mystic 15/40 syn-blend" with no issues; KnN filter...I just like the little built-on 'nut')
--Fuel filter (WIX)
--Differential fluid change (planning to use the 'thicker' fluid...southTexas...)
--Coolant flush/fill

SECOND projects (random order; please rank them for me)
--Still has the stock air filter...thinking to change to one of the "open air" set-ups.... y/n?
--Fuel "pusher" ...not sure if the 06's need an aftermarket pump (I liked it on my 2001)...y/n?

Overhead computer reads 18.1 mpg...just on my #1 tank full, so not sure that'll be accurate on paper yet

Any "watch-out for" xxxx or "be sure to check" yyyy items yall suggest? Any typical "leaks" here or there to check? No obvious drips/drops underneath at this time... Belts? Pumps? Additives?

Thanks!

USAF (Ret'd); 06, Laramie, 4x4, Quad; all stock (except Toyo A/T tires)
Hello! Enjoy your Ram!

Aux. fuel filteration is a must. Stock is not enough, i added a filter head and a 2~ micron just after my oem filter. The oem replacement is= Baldwin pf7977 [drop in]/ the aux filter is= Donaldson p551313 {others may have other favorites, but this will get you in the right direction!]

Be carefull with K&N, lots of warnings on that , after asking i used the AFE Progard7 drop in air filter in my stock box. I added the Cool Hose and the DIY cold air intake.

The oem in-tank lift pump is quiet, supports 500~hp, i would leave it....
Gauges, lots of them just me, but i like to know whats going on..Electronic moniters are nice, I have the Smarty Touch, this gives me tuning and gauges... I can even get custom tuning =UDC Pro
Old 06-13-2016, 05:06 AM

You have an 06, EFI Live is an option for custom tuning, often recommended...
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by organicfarmer
Hello! Enjoy your Ram!

Aux. fuel filteration is a must. ..... i added a filter head and a 2~ micron just after my oem filter. ....
The oem in-tank lift pump is quiet, supports 500~hp, i would leave it....
:
Thanks!
1) Filter head just after the oem---where is the kit/reference for adding another filter head? ...so, the stock filtration is insufficient?
2) OEM lift pump in tank... so, no need for a "pusher" pump in the 2006s? --that's good to know!

Gauges...eventually.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by organicfarmer
You have an 06, EFI Live is an option.....
Thanks! Good info.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
danalex:

First of all,.....thanks for your service to our country! I am an Air Force veteran too having served during the Vietnam years. I was a 46250,...
Weapons Maintenance and worked on the AC-130 Gunships, F-4's, B-52's.

You have already gotten alot of good advice from our members here. I would add that if you are going to modify the truck much over about 50-75 H.P. you are going to have to upgrade the transmission. If you go above those numbers, at least go with a triple-disc converter, better valve body, increased clutches in the OD and raise the line pressure. Unfortunately, the stock Dodge 48RE torque converters are very weak with their one single-disc. Other members already mentioned the gauges and I would recommend a pyrometer, boost and fuel pressure at the very least. If you are towing, a transmission temp gauge is also good to have.

Take care and good luck!

--------
John_P
Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by danalex
Thanks!
1) Filter head just after the oem---where is the kit/reference for adding another filter head? ...so, the stock filtration is insufficient?
2) OEM lift pump in tank... so, no need for a "pusher" pump in the 2006s? --that's good to know!

Gauges...eventually.
In 05 [?] Rams came with the in-tank lift pump, mine was up graded by the previous owner, i did some research and was advised to leave it alone, unless 500hp isnt enough! The lp is a lot quieter then a FASS, that i know!
I bought a wix filter head from amazon; ill look for the part #

The oem pump is a 'push' pump
I'm at 400rwhp and lp psi never drops.
It is a fact that oem fuel filteration isnt enough with the common rail injectors.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:14 PM

Glacier Diesel Power | Diesel Truck and Tractor Parts | Dodge Ram Cummins Kubota | - Product List
https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-2...el+filter+base
Old 06-13-2016, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
danalex:

You have already gotten alot of good advice from our members here. I would add that if you are going to modify the truck much over about 50-75 H.P. you are going to have to upgrade the transmission. If you go above those numbers, at least go with a triple-disc converter, better valve body, increased clutches in the OD and raise the line pressure. Unfortunately, the stock Dodge 48RE torque converters are very weak with their one single-disc. Other members already mentioned the gauges and I would recommend a pyrometer, boost and fuel pressure at the very least. If you are towing, a transmission temp gauge is also good to have.

John_P
Shift kit for-sure! And trans electronics...etc,etc......
I have the triple disc TC; i kinda wish i had a singal disc so it dosnt lock so hard, i still have the stock input shaft; i feel the triple disc should have the HD input... A shift kit with a good single disc low stall TC [Goerend] should be ok if trans pressure is high enough and HP isnt wild
. Driver needs self control!!

A low stall TC makes these trans a lot better for DD and towing!

Not arguing with you John; just throwing my 2$

Quick Reply: What To Do FIRST ! (06)