3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a Snow Performance Tow Max kit coming. Any tips for installing the kit and program set up?

I'm looking for power for a dyno day, and cooling for towing work trailers. Hoping to break 500/1000 on the dyno and I temp out when towing up hills before I run out of throttle.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CLICKBANGBANG
I've got a Snow Performance Tow Max kit coming. Any tips for installing the kit and program set up?

I'm looking for power for a dyno day, and cooling for towing work trailers. Hoping to break 500/1000 on the dyno and I temp out when towing up hills before I run out of throttle.
-----------------------------------
You will get a very good owners manual with that kit from "Snow Performance." My suggestion would be to follow their recommendations on the installation of the nozzles and programmer set-up. Matt Snow is well respected in the diesel performance world and has a good knowledge of his water injection kits. I would also suggest using ONLY distilled water and adding some "Anti-Rust Additive"as we talked about earlier in this thread to your water to avoid rust formation in the intake manifold. NAPA makes a good one called "Number 13" which I have used with good luck.

---------
John_P
Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Snow Performance Tow Max kit coming.... I'm looking for power for a dyno day, and cooling for towing work trailers.
Don't know Snow's newer kits, with all the bells & whistles, but have had excellent results from mine for 7 years.
What size nozzle(s) come with that tow kit?

RJ
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM

I think it is two larges and a small. I've got rebal talked into installing the kit for me for a trade maybe. He'll help me toon it in a little too. Just seeing if other guys are having good luck with the same kit.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
-----------------------------------
You will get a very good owners manual with that kit from "Snow Performance." My suggestion would be to follow their recommendations on the installation of the nozzles and programmer set-up. Matt Snow is well respected in the diesel performance world and has a good knowledge of his water injection kits. I would also suggest using ONLY distilled water and adding some "Anti-Rust Additive"as we talked about earlier in this thread to your water to avoid rust formation in the intake manifold. NAPA makes a good one called "Number 13" which I have used with good luck.

---------
John_P
Went to Riebes for Number 13. It's a no go in Ca. I'll have to find something different.

The kit should be here tomorrow and it my be in buy the weekend. I also found a shop that sells methanol by the gallon.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Went to Riebes for Number 13. It's a no go in Ca. I'll have to find something different.

The kit should be here tomorrow and it my be in buy the weekend. I also found a shop that sells methanol by the gallon.
----------------------------------------------
You can also use "Bars Leak" Anti-Rust/Water Pump Lubricant." That is sold at many auto parts stores. Or you can order it direct from Scheid Diesel @
1-800-669-1934.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM

You can also use "Bars Leak" Anti-Rust/Water Pump Lubricant." That is sold at many auto parts stores. Or you can order it direct from Scheid Diesel @
1-800-669-1934.
hey John how much anti-rust do you put in with the water?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
hey John how much anti-rust do you put in with the water?
-------------------------
Dan:

I run about 1/2 pint to a gallon of distilled water. If you see rust anywhere you can go heavier than that. It won't hurt anything.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM

1-800-669-1934.
Good deal. Thanks John. I found Bars Leak locally.

I talked to Josh at Snow Performance to get a starting spot with the kit. He is saying to run two nozzles. A 375 and 625 nozzle and to run the High boost setting when on that mode. Hight would come on at 28 and be full on at 40 (the he351 pegs my 35 psi boost gauge fast and leaves the needle there till you back off). He mentioned I could try to see if the truck would run ok at the Med mode which was open at 18 and full on at 25. But this was for higher horsepower trucks. I guess the EGT mode for towing is pre mapped. So we'll see how hot the egts get with and without the injection on this mode (I'm 23,000 driving home today from work which is pretty normal). I asked how much pressure I'd have with these sized nozzles and he said right around 180 psi.

Kit should be here today, and in tomorrow if my buddy is available.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Good deal. Thanks John. I found Bars Leak locally.

I talked to Josh at Snow Performance to get a starting spot with the kit. He is saying to run two nozzles. A 375 and 625 nozzle and to run the High boost setting when on that mode. Hight would come on at 28 and be full on at 40 (the he351 pegs my 35 psi boost gauge fast and leaves the needle there till you back off). He mentioned I could try to see if the truck would run ok at the Med mode which was open at 18 and full on at 25. But this was for higher horsepower trucks. I guess the EGT mode for towing is pre mapped. So we'll see how hot the egts get with and without the injection on this mode (I'm 23,000 driving home today from work which is pretty normal). I asked how much pressure I'd have with these sized nozzles and he said right around 180 psi.

Kit should be here today, and in tomorrow if my buddy is available.
------------
Glad you found the "Bars Leak" Product alright! Both products are very close in color and consistency and work equally as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM

------------
Glad you found the "Bars Leak" Product alright! Both products are very close in color and consistency and work equally as well.
Kit is in! I purged the line and pump and will test it out on the way home from my shop. Looks like it will work.

And by the Bars Leak color, you ment it looks like breast milk right? I have the water, meth, and breast milk in as well.

Edit- not working. The pump works when hot wired. So pump ground is good and it works. The controller turns on and works. Set to 100% gain and Med mode with EGT mode on, it's not pumping. The controler screen blinks saying it's injecting, but no power increase and no EGT drop. I wired an LED in with the pump power wire so it would light up when the pump kicks on. But nothing. I'm going to test my LED to see if the light works. I'll be calling snow in the morning.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 PM

Ok. I just finished reading every post on this thread, and havent read much if anything about what timing to run.
I just installed a Snow stage 2 a few days ago, & with the mods in my sig with TNT SW9 I have already backed the timing down to Tm4, & am still getting more rattle while injecting. Not sure now if it's just normal for the power increase, or if it's detonation. On TM3 it sounded like a gasser with 50* of advance. I first tried both the 625ml, & 375ml nozzles in the intake horn, with start set for about 17#, & max set @ 40#. rattled bad up top, & drowned it down low. Now I'm just running just the one 625 nozzle, & set it to start @ 20-22#, & max @ 40#, & it doesn't rattle as much, but more than without it, & I'm not seeing much EGT reduction. where should I go from here?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Kit is in! I purged the line and pump and will test it out on the way home from my shop. Looks like it will work.

And by the Bars Leak color, you ment it looks like breast milk right? I have the water, meth, and breast milk in as well.

Edit- not working. The pump works when hot wired. So pump ground is good and it works. The controller turns on and works. Set to 100% gain and Med mode with EGT mode on, it's not pumping. The controler screen blinks saying it's injecting, but no power increase and no EGT drop. I wired an LED in with the pump power wire so it would light up when the pump kicks on. But nothing. I'm going to test my LED to see if the light works. I'll be calling snow in the morning.
-------------------------
CLICKBANG:

Yes Sir, both the "NAPA Number 13" and "Bars Leak" Products have that white milky look to them. They also have a slight oily odor but IMHO that is what helps keep the rust at bay.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
Ok. I just finished reading every post on this thread, and havent read much if anything about what timing to run.
I just installed a Snow stage 2 a few days ago, & with the mods in my sig with TNT SW9 I have already backed the timing down to Tm4, & am still getting more rattle while injecting. Not sure now if it's just normal for the power increase, or if it's detonation. On TM3 it sounded like a gasser with 50* of advance. I first tried both the 625ml, & 375ml nozzles in the intake horn, with start set for about 17#, & max set @ 40#. rattled bad up top, & drowned it down low. Now I'm just running just the one 625 nozzle, & set it to start @ 20-22#, & max @ 40#, & it doesn't rattle as much, but more than without it, & I'm not seeing much EGT reduction. where should I go from here?
------------------
bigwheels94:

If you can, P.M. DTR Member Rpainter (Robert Painter) in this thread. He has done ALOT of R&D with the Dodge CTD CR Trucks. My advice would be to run the system at the point where you cannot hear that "rattle" anymore. You probably read my posts with reference to my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve and the "detonation" or "rattle" as you described which sounds like spark ping in a gas engine that I had. This is bad, as it is basically incomplete combustion within your cylinders Sir. I saw this on my 1996 ALOT when my timing was set at about twenty (20) degrees with water/meth. I know on your Dodge CTD CR Truck it is hard to tell exactly where you are on the timing as it is variable versus the fixed timing on my 1996.

You should be seeing at least a 200-300 degree drop in your EGT's and if not something is not set-up right. I have tried to tell all the water injection users here that you have to really "tune" these systems to YOUR truck and it does take some time.

I also would suggest giving Snow a call and see if they can help you Sir.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM

Well my kit is going now. I called Snow and Josh helped me out everywhere he could from his end. I found the keyed power source that I was pulling out of the fuse box was very week. It would turn the controler on and it would work, but it wouldn't be able to run the pump. Switched to strong power and it is running fine.

I'm running two nozzles at 375 and 625. I'm running it in Med boost mode and with the EGT on at 100% gain. No problems at all. With 50/50 I'm still temping (1200-1300) when doing hard pulls in 5th and 6th gear. I'm going to try 60 water/ 40 meth to see if we can lower the temps a little.

Quick Reply: Water Injection