3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Clutch stress relief

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch stress relief

Finally, very tired of the valair shortcommings and talked to Lary here at DTR. Ordering a new Southbend setup tomorrow. Nothing worse that a sweet truck that is a pain to drive/shift.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We will get you hooked up with a high quality clutch that will meet your demands and won't break the bank at the same time Looking forward to talking with you again tomorrow
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 AM

I will be ordering one off of Lary real soon myself. Still savin some "mad-money"!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM

A new clutch kit is in my path not too far down the road. I really like the drive-ability of the stock clutch, but she always lets loose when the boost needle trembles past 28psi and the RPM is anywhere north of 1900.

Not so eager for a South Bend though. Lot of reports on here talking about noise and shift issues, and also our local shops shy away from them because of grabby performance - not so hot for hauling livestock.

I've read somewhere about a Rhino upgrade for another 25hp and 50ft/lb of torque, but know nothing about them. Both of my experienced local shops recommend Luk and believe my stock clutch must be ailing to slip like that.

Could be. Had 10k miles on it when I bought it and the pedal always seemed to engage kinda high to me. Lived with that for 70k miles, but I think it's time to get'r done.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rod_Montana
A new clutch kit is in my path not too far down the road. I really like the drive-ability of the stock clutch, but she always lets loose when the boost needle trembles past 28psi and the RPM is anywhere north of 1900.

Not so eager for a South Bend though. Lot of reports on here talking about noise and shift issues, and also our local shops shy away from them because of grabby performance - not so hot for hauling livestock.

I've read somewhere about a Rhino upgrade for another 25hp and 50ft/lb of torque, but know nothing about them. Both of my experienced local shops recommend Luk and believe my stock clutch must be ailing to slip like that.

Could be. Had 10k miles on it when I bought it and the pedal always seemed to engage kinda high to me. Lived with that for 70k miles, but I think it's time to get'r done.
I had a Southbend OFE in my last truck, and I have one sitting here now to go in my new truck. The Southbend single disks do not make noise at all. The noise makers are dual disks, and it doesn't matter who you go with, they are going to rattle. Just the nature of the beast. As for hauling livestock, the OFE works great for it. Not grabby at all, and will hold your mods just fine. If you plan to increase your HP you are going to have to eventually go DD anyways, and then you are back to noise and rattle. Just my 2 cents worth.

Marshall
Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I've had my Con-OFE for about 4 yrs now with no problems. Mine is very grabby if I take off in 2nd but 1st is smooth as butter.....just slow as molassas. Other than that it handles all the power my BDDL will throw at it.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jhenson
I've had my Con-OFE for about 4 yrs now with no problems. Mine is very grabby if I take off in 2nd but 1st is smooth as butter.....just slow as molassas. Other than that it handles all the power my BDDL will throw at it.
I have a south bend also, not sure what model, but it acts like this. That is the only thing I don't like about it, as I'm use to starting in 2nd when not towing. Other then that great clutch.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Love my 3250 double disk southbend not at all grabby if I pull out in low and the rattle just makes other people think its broke.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 AM

I also like my 3250 DD, but it's slow to shift but I got over that when I bought my new Shelby. My truck is now more for work then it use to be play.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tn hillbilly
The Southbend single disks do not make noise at all.
Marshall
I have to disagree with this statement. I have a South Bend single disc OFE and it rattles terribly. Other than that small complaint, it's a great clutch. I haven't been able to slip it yet with the Smarty set on 9 with torque management on 4. The rattle goes away at about 900rpm so it's not a big deal.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:50 PM

Well, here I am six and half years later with the same factory clutch still in there. 118K miles now. It seems to have fixed itself, somehow. Maybe wearing through glazing from previous owner's abuse? I've gone from a 6k tow to a 12k tow in 2013, but she'll easily pull 30-32 boost without slipping. In fact, I can't recall the last time she did let go, but it had to be like 70k miles ago.