3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detonation???

Originally Posted by John_P
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
clndesl:

Yes,.....I would start out with smaller amounts of the methanol and work your way up from there. On my 96', I would get the detonation with as little as 20% mixture. When I ran the water/methanol mixture, I always bought the methanol and then mixed it myself WITH distilled water. IMHO,.....you get a more accurate mixture that way. I feel that the windshield washer fluid like you buy at "Wal-Mart" for example has too much variation from bottle to bottle, but there are Members here that probably would not agree with that, which is fine.
I am running the stage 2 coolingmist kit.. I am really happy with it. I have played with the mix ratio from about 15% to 50/50 mix.. I have found that I need less duty cycle at higher ratio... I think I may have detonated a bit?? It happened @ Wot w/ edge on stage 5 injecting a 50/50 mix... at about 2600 rpm.. a clattery noisy bad sound... could this be injector clattter??.. If it was detonation could I have damaged anything?? It seems ok now,

Also, My truck has made the same sound on stage 6 of the Edge with out any water meth..( I don't have the injectors or new hpp pump installed yet or head studs)

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by clndesl
I havent noticed any knocking at all but i have only ran desteeled water but this weekend ill mix a batch of water/meth and let you know. I only have one nozzle. cooling mists new varicool kit is only for one nozzel it must flow alot because it sure emptys my resivoir. And the BD crazy larry i love it. It works great with my stage 3 dr. p. once you put it on you wont want to take it off for sure.

Are you runing the PMT?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 PM

not the PMT just the triple dog with 2.4D
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 PM

Is the PMT CL and TD 2.4D the same tune?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 PM

Well then I would download it cause you will love it.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbs
I am running the stage 2 coolingmist kit.. I am really happy with it. I have played with the mix ratio from about 15% to 50/50 mix.. I have found that I need less duty cycle at higher ratio... I think I may have detonated a bit?? It happened @ Wot w/ edge on stage 5 injecting a 50/50 mix... at about 2600 rpm.. a clattery noisy bad sound... could this be injector clattter??.. If it was detonation could I have damaged anything?? It seems ok now,

Also, My truck has made the same sound on stage 6 of the Edge with out any water meth..( I don't have the injectors or new hpp pump installed yet or head studs)

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It sounds to me like you may have had some "detonation" going on. I try to tell the Members that IMO,.....it sounds alot like what "spark ping" does in a gas car/truck. I found on my 96' that the more methanol that was added, the worse it got! My recommendation would be to find that point with your mixture of water and methanol, (whatever that percentage is) and then NOT go past it. And YES,......it can do damage to your engine. You are probably alright if you heard it and then "let-off", but be careful! Remember, that the water/methanol can "aggravate" what is going on in the combustion chamber because the methanol will burn at lower temperatures than the air and diesel fuel.

Hope that helps you some.