Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Used smarty question (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/used-smarty-question-226061/)

Sam Turner2 12-10-2008 04:59 PM

Used smarty question

I hate to spend 500 plus on something that could be broken or vin locked when I get it. If I bought a used smarty and it was vinlocked could I send it in and get it unlocked? Whats the odds of buying one and it being broken?

Sam Turner2 12-10-2008 05:01 PM

Any honest DTR members have one forsale? I see them, but not from anyone that I have seen active on the forums.

RamWheelsBy4 12-10-2008 05:22 PM

Where are you located in Texas? I have an extra one, not really looking to sell though.

Sam Turner2 12-10-2008 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4 (Post 2309705)
Where are you located in Texas? I have an extra one, not really looking to sell though.

I'm currently in the abilene area.

madhat 12-10-2008 09:14 PM

I saw one in the classifieds the other day...

justin mcfall 12-10-2008 09:27 PM

There is one in the classifieds today...

MarioGavazzi 12-10-2008 10:27 PM

Samuel,

This is your wife... if you so much as spend $10 on that thing leaking diesel all over the parking lot, you will have a lot of free time to DREAM about getting a smarty and blowing your transmission to hell on DTR. Also you will be spending ample amount of time with the couch as well. [verymad]

GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND COME TO BED.

Take out the dog and the trash while you're at it.

Sam Turner2 12-10-2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MarioGavazzi (Post 2310188)
Samuel,

This is your wife... if you so much as spend $10 on that thing leaking diesel all over the parking lot, you will have a lot of free time to DREAM about getting a smarty and blowing your transmission to hell on DTR. Also you will be spending ample amount of time with the couch as well. [verymad]

GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND COME TO BED.

Take out the dog and the trash while you're at it.

LOL, thats exactly what she would say....

MarioGavazzi 12-10-2008 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Turner2 (Post 2310198)
LOL, thats exactly what she would say....

Yeah, I can keep a secret. Good Luck Bro.

Matt S 12-10-2008 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Turner2 (Post 2309682)
I hate to spend 500 plus on something that could be broken or vin locked when I get it. If I bought a used smarty and it was vinlocked could I send it in and get it unlocked? Whats the odds of buying one and it being broken?

All the answer's I'm getting is no. Throw it away because it's useless. The mad's site says they have a one time code to unlock one but Bob Wagner hasn't answered my question in over 2 days but he might be busy and just hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Bob Wagner 12-11-2008 12:37 PM

Matt, I just checked my pm's , nothing from you. sorry.

Whats your question?

Bob Wagner 12-11-2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Matt S (Post 2310248)
All the answer's I'm getting is no. Throw it away because it's useless. The mad's site says they have a one time code to unlock one but Bob Wagner hasn't answered my question in over 2 days but he might be busy and just hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The one time PASSWORD is for the error message"software changed" only. It is not for unlocking a vin locked smarty.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

RamWheelsBy4 12-11-2008 01:21 PM

My suggestion is try it before you buy it or pay for it. If that is not possible then don't buy it.

Matt S 12-13-2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner (Post 2310730)
The one time PASSWORD is for the error message"software changed" only. It is not for unlocking a vin locked smarty.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

So I don't understand the difference between the two vin locked situations. To me, either way is the same to the smarty. It doesn't recognize the truck as the one it loaded the software on to. Also, if it's updated to POD then wouldn't that reset it also since you have to change the board?

Apparently I'm in need of an education.

Bob Wagner 12-13-2008 12:04 PM

Matt, "software changes" is just that the e software in the ecm has "changed" since the smarty was last in the ecm.

Where do you see the words "vin locked" ?