Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Twin EGT readings? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/twin-egt-readings-249868/)

cincydiesel 08-13-2009 10:31 AM

Twin EGT readings?

I recently purchased a replacement thermpocouple for my truck and after many tries of removing the old one I think its best to not force it. Could I drill another hole in the manifold towards the back side of cylinders 5 and 6 to get a better reading? I've heard 5 and 6 run hotter than the rest and the current thermocouple is place to the front of the manifold / turbo inlet. If I did tap the rear of the manifold, could I run both egt's together to the gauge? And would the gauge just read the hotter of the 2?

soulezoo 08-13-2009 10:41 AM

First... one t-couple to one gauge; do not wire together.

Yes, it is ok to tap between 5-6, but it won't be your hottest reading. (BTW, you are reading only 6 there, not 5) That will occur at the collector. FWIW, I have three probes installed on mine, two at the collector (one for front 3cyls, one for rear 3 cyls) and the last one in the runner at 5 where it would show the average of 5 and 6. That last one is consistently 100-150* below the other two at the collector.

cincydiesel 08-13-2009 10:46 AM

My current probe is at the collector but towards the front of the divider.. Am I getting a accurate reading of 5 and 6 there?

cquestad 08-13-2009 11:44 AM

Um.....no. The rear of the collector is the warmer side. Do you want two probes/two gauges? If so drill and tap the other side of the collecter as well.

I run two and think it is a good idea...

If you just want to remove it...spray some thread penatrant...let it sit for a while...then remove it. If the adapter is what is stuck...don't worry about breaking it...you can drill it out with a slightley smaller bit...then use a tap push the remaining crud out...then chase with a 1/4 or 1/8 npt tap.

Clear as mud?

cincydiesel 08-13-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad (Post 2551497)
Um.....no. The rear of the collector is the warmer side. Do you want two probes/two gauges? If so drill and tap the other side of the collecter as well.

I run two and think it is a good idea...

If you just want to remove it...spray some thread penatrant...let it sit for a while...then remove it. If the adapter is what is stuck...don't worry about breaking it...you can drill it out with a slightley smaller bit...then use a tap push the remaining crud out...then chase with a 1/4 or 1/8 npt tap.

Clear as mud?

Tried every penetrating oil that I could find, that baby aint coming out. Even tried the wax method.. I think I'm just going to leave it and drill another hole on the back of the colletctor to get a better reading from #5 and #6. Maybe someday I'll get another gauge to monitor both but with my mods I'm thinking I dont need it? I was concerned with drilling another hole and possibly weakining the manifold.