3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo Bark " how bad is it"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Turbo surge/bark is generally rough on every part in the turbo that turns.

You are working the shaft and eventually it will distort the compressor wheel....
Yep what he said.. You can eventually grenate a shaft....
Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Chapter President

Now this will be different for every different turbo, but on mine with my boost elbow (stock HX-35) partially open, I hear it, and I'm wondering if its not the wastegate opening. (It sounds like it's hitting insulation, so I think it's coming from there). I imagine the HX-40s with boost foolers are doing the same thing, and possibly aftermarket turbos with adjustable wastegates. How far off is my theory?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Question

I think i have what y'all are talking about but i'm not sure, it started happening right after i put my stage 2 afe system on. I hear a like a buff buff sound when my torque converter locks in and i am accelerating pretty hard. It also happens if i'm loading the engine by pulling a trailer up a hill an then letting of i hear the same thing. I took it to a mechanic to se what it was and he said that i was hearing air come back out of the filter. Is this the "turbo bark" that yall are talking about? If so i would like to get a BOV to fix it if somone could send me in the right direction. THANKS ALOT GUYS!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Duallydog
Now this will be different for every different turbo, but on mine with my boost elbow (stock HX-35) partially open, I hear it, and I'm wondering if its not the wastegate opening. (It sounds like it's hitting insulation, so I think it's coming from there). I imagine the HX-40s with boost foolers are doing the same thing, and possibly aftermarket turbos with adjustable wastegates. How far off is my theory?
The wastegate will only open if you exceed the maximum boost that it is able to maintain.That will only happen while you are under wot.I'm sure most people upgrade their wastegates as they increase boost psi,otherwise they would not be able to maintain a higher level of boost.I'm not sure of how much boost the OEM waste gate will allow,but I'm sure it's over the 26/30 OEM pressure.If you can find someone who can sell you a wastegate try and get an external,and will be adjustable by springing it up and also so you can add a boost controller on it that is adjustable from the cab.Haven't really talked to any after market turbo dealers,but I'm sure their waste gates are much stiffer than stock.

Back to the point and maybe help someone who wants to run a BOV on the street.BTW they are controllable also by an allen set screw on the side of the unit.

Anyway you all might try an Audi dealer,as in TDI DPT,or Garrett did make some street and race models.Not sure how big some of the models made for gas engines are,but mine was a 4 incher as well as the boost tubes and the in and out side of the inter cooler,and I think some of the bigger race models were somewhere in the 4/5+ inch bracket.Gas,diesel,french fry grease,a BOV is a BOV.Makes no difference as hopefully all you have going through there is air.

It's really hard to try and explain all this as it is very complicated and each engine depending on mainly rpms that of course spin the rotors and then there's the horse power issue,compression ratio of your cylinders,intakes,exhaust size,restriction and the list goes on.

But trust me that when I start to do my engine it will be a drag racer and be able to drive on the street.It will have a very large adjustable waste gate to build boost,have a boost controller,a rising rate fuel pump,and all the rest heavy duty internals and that includes a big **** tranny build up.

BTW,most of the external WGs have a spring that can be adjusted up in the engine bay,you know make it stiffer or weaker for street use as well as the bov engine bay adjustments are adjustable to allow less or more pressure to escape.Unually with a good TCI hard shifting auto the bov doesn't even activate as it shifts faster than you can wot a standard shift.Whew don't even use the clutch except to get outa the hole
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM

I was a whole lot tired when I posted up yesterday and was not too clear.Here however is a site you can go to and get a clearer picture of how things work.

www.streetracesonline.com/articles/turbo/b
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM

I just installed a banks high ram intake manifold, and now i havent heard the "bark" anymore. Maybe im just getting use to the noise lol. im still pretty new at this great but expensive hobby. I have another question? when i upgraded my triple dog to 2.4.1 my downloader asked me to recieve a new "flash" from the dealer for my tranny. what's this flash???
Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Does this sound like my problem:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=173535
Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StrokeThisCTD
my 04.5 barked after i put the bullydog on. i couldnt get it to bark on stock fueling.

Regardless, i can safely say i barked my stock turbo 100+ times and that truck still ran like mad.
Yeah! it'll bark hard if you accelerate hard and then take your foot off the throttle fast.
Mike
###
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM

what does it sound like?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

does adding a intake make it happen more often???
Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
X3!!!!! Put an aurora 5k on and you'll know what barking is!!!!
you got that right. automatic with about half throttle it will make the boost gauge needle bang back and forth. not thats barking .
I did it when I first put it on. so when it shifts in OD you better have it floored or barely on the throttle
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 PM

do you guys think that is what i am hearing? or is something else wrong?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 PM

mine has barked a few times. I only started doing it after I installed my AFE 2 intake. I paid close attention to what conditions cause it and I now avoid them. Hasnt barked since.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Megacab07
mine has barked a few times. I only started doing it after I installed my AFE 2 intake. I paid close attention to what conditions cause it and I now avoid them. Hasnt barked since.
does it bark getting on the throttle or off?

my noise i am experiencing is happening when i let off the throttle them jam back on it.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 AM

is "turbo bark" the "pssshht" sound when releasing throttle under acceleration to clutch and shift? if so, it doesn't sound like a "bark".

Quick Reply: Turbo Bark " how bad is it"