3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Turbo Bark " how bad is it"

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allways_Lost
I have the bully dog and havnt heard the bark yet.

Maybe I am just lucky.

Who knows.

Mine started a bit after the crazy larry upgrade. so i keep it off that setting for now.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Been hanging around here for several months now and haven't made many contributions as I have found out that when you contradict someone or try to answer a question that sometimes you get your wagon painted red.

However since this turbo bark situation has came up I will try and give a little insight.I really wonder why this has not came up earlier and I hardly ever hear of anyone running a "BOV"

A bov is the easiest way to help save stress on your turbo vanes and shafts and not to mention your TBI.As in when you are under hard WOT acceleration and suddenly come off the pedal and the butterfly slams shut your turbo is still under full spool and cranking out how much psi and rpms your engine is venting into the exhaust side of your windmaker and this air has to go somewhere.So it tries to back up as fast as it is coming in.Well you get the picture.That bark noise is probably coming from where you have your air induction plastic,rubber,whatever mounted to metal via a screw clamp.It will cause a boost leak or cause some little or major damage depending on just how many rpms you are turning and how much boost.A bov or pressure relief valve vents this incoming rush of air and relieves the pressure you are trying to cram down your now closed TB and all moving parts are happy and have no stress put on them.

My little Dodge Neon with a 122 cid engine had 450 hp with a HRC stage IV Mitsubishi super 20 G turbo and was equipped with a GReddy type S bov when you let off the loud pedal it sounded like you done ran over a 400 pound tom cats tail.So that so called turbo bark you are hearing is high pressure air trying it's best to explode something in between your turbo i/c air pipes and what else ever you have stuck in there to get in it's way.Figure if you have enough psi to blow a head gasket then that stuff has to go somewhere.A good bov will help save a lot of expensive parts.I mounted mine right before the air charge went into the TB and right after it came out of the i/c.

BTW,DTR you never did get back with me on those parts I called you about last week.Remember me??Redneck from eastern KY pounding down the Buds.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo bark is only a problem if it surges very bad repeatedly. Stresses the shaft/bearings every time it happens so if it does it really bad and does it a lot there is the possibility of twisting off the turbo shaft.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My turbo started barking when I had the transmission built for racing and added the 3 disc TC. Just barked louder when I had the SPS66 put on. It was irritating when mergeing into freeway and bark every time. I really wasn't worried about the SPS66, but the barking was driving me and passengers crazy. I had HotRodDiesels install a BD BOV and solved my problems. A little expensive, but I am glad I had it installed. It has been on for close to two years now. Besides it is cool to see heads turn when you give it a good throttle and then let off. The psssst psssst is unmistakeable.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
a larger turbo will bark worse not better(wanna hear mine?) due to the inertia of the larger(heavier) wheels and shaft. takes longer for boost to drop off.
the only ways to stop it is gently coming off the accelerator or installing a BOV. larger piping or I/c will not help.
X3!!!!! Put an aurora 5k on and you'll know what barking is!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

now you're bragging.
wait until you see my twin setup. http://www.nwdiesels.com/forums/inde...e=post&id=3471 Its a t46 going with my sps62
Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned

now you're bragging.
wait until you see my twin setup. http://www.nwdiesels.com/forums/inde...e=post&id=3471 Its a t46 going with my sps62
no worky????
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Banned

sorry, i am computer stupid tonight.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM

sorry, i am computer stupid tonight.
I hope your not using that thing as the primary (bottom charger). Really that thing is not suitable in any way for a twins setup. The compressor wheel is way to small to do any good and the turbine is huge which is really makes the turbo kind of useless.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
X3!!!!! Put an aurora 5k on and you'll know what barking is!!!!
No kidding...
Old 09-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRacer
Been hanging around here for several months now and haven't made many contributions as I have found out that when you contradict someone or try to answer a question that sometimes you get your wagon painted red.

However since this turbo bark situation has came up I will try and give a little insight.I really wonder why this has not came up earlier and I hardly ever hear of anyone running a "BOV"
There are a few people running BOV's BUT they arent as easy to install or dial in as it would be on a gas motor, also they are quite expensive for our diesel motors. I think the main people that are running them are ones who do the tractor pulls with their trucks where they are running full boost for as long as possible then just taking their foot off relatively quick.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vinceg99
There are a few people running BOV's BUT they arent as easy to install or dial in as it would be on a gas motor, also they are quite expensive for our diesel motors. I think the main people that are running them are ones who do the tractor pulls with their trucks where they are running full boost for as long as possible then just taking their foot off relatively quick.
I dont know of one truck puller that runs a BOV.

Good way to overspeed the turbo and kill it in one pull. Bad idea.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 PM

This is where I read it not sure who said it BUT maybe I read that they coul see that as a good use for a BOV? Oh well either way I retract my statement about pullers using them
Old 09-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Does this "turbo surge" or "bark" lead to any other problems or issues???
Old 09-09-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06RED-BARON
Does this "turbo surge" or "bark" lead to any other problems or issues???
Turbo surge/bark is generally rough on every part in the turbo that turns.

You are working the shaft and eventually it will distort the compressor wheel....

Quick Reply: Turbo Bark " how bad is it"