Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   TST vs. Triple Dog which would be best to start with? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/tst-vs-triple-dog-would-best-start-98496/)

06Cummins 04-05-2006 01:56 AM

TST vs. Triple Dog which would be best to start with?

I am looking for a box soon after i get my gauges installed. I know the TST is great for power and i have also heard good things about the BDDL Triple Dog with the Crazy Lary program. Eventually i will be stacking and i have heard some ppl stacking the two and getting good results and others that are going with the TST and EZ or something simular. I guess i am just wondering which would be the best for me to run alone while i am in the process of building the truck up? (Converter, Valve Body, Flex Plate, Output shafts, Fass 150 etc) Once i have all that done along with a SPS66, then i will be looking into stacking. But which will give me the best power/driveability while i am getting the truck built up over the next year or so? I have read a lot about the two but i havent seen anyone compare the two really for my application. Also, with the TST, i am guessing i would need to go with the basic program first and then move up to early twins, or the twins program after the turbo? Or would it be ok to get the early twins with the stock turbo and just take it easy? I wouldnt do anything to put the truck into harms way (no matter how tempting it may be) until it is built to handle it. Thanks guys, Jason

judge88 04-05-2006 07:02 AM

i would just get the tst for now. its a very strong box and it will allow you to use the higher #'s as you upgrade your truck. i run the tst /ez or the bddl with my tst and its an awsomw stack however if i had to choose one box it would be the tst. as far as the twins version goes i wouldnt even consider it without a set of twins or a big single. i have twins and i cant even use all what that box has . a modded cp3 is needed to do so since it can drain our rails in a blink of an eyes. good luck with your build up.

PourinDiesel 04-05-2006 07:14 AM

Tst ......

jemery 04-05-2006 07:19 AM

I have both, the TST is alot stronger than the BDDl, however it will slip my converter on 3x3. There is also alot of info out there about the TST taking stock turbos. Unless you have alot of self control you will find yourself bumping it up to 5x5 (or higher) once in awhile. I know I do, and my tranny does not like it at all. I don't really care because I am putting in a DTT next week.

So if you want alot of power that you can feel go with the TST. I know the BDDL puts out some power also, but it is alot smoother, and I got used to having it within a week and found myself wanting more. The TST comes on at a higher RPM, so you really feal it kick on. If you want a reason to get a tranny sooner than you had planned, go with the TST.

abc4yew 04-05-2006 07:27 AM

Start with the TST and you will end up with the TST...the upgrades are cheap and they are always coming up with new options...cool down timer, timing selection, etc. Other companies such as F1, Quad, and TS have boxes that can be tailored to stack perfectly with the TST. Even the proposed Smarty for these trucks has a setting that fits well with TST :) ks

realsquash 04-05-2006 08:26 AM

Start with the BDDL. It costs less, makes more power/heat than the truck will take w/o other add-ons, and runs a lot smoother than a TST.

The TST also has a PITA harness where as the BDDL just plugs in once in the cab and you don't need to even keep it plugged in.

Andy

JCLeary 04-05-2006 09:34 AM

Get a TST. I've had both the standard and race Quads, a Ramifier, a MP-8 (similar to Ramifier), an Edge EZ, the Bully Dog Triple Dog and the TST.

Go with the TST. You'll never outgrow it, and you'll be buying one anyway when you get your turbo. Do it once and be done with it.

The downloader is nice, but I'd rather have a box I can remove. The TST lets the motor think it's running normally, so there's really no way to trace it, other than the max boost readings that are recorded by the ecm. I believe it's always 21psi or so.

The BDDL may or may not be traceable, but with a new truck, still under warranty, why risk it?

I did it on mine because I had over 36k on the truck, and if nothing had broken yet, I figured it wouldn't. I was not concerned with warranty issues.

06Cummins 04-05-2006 09:59 AM

yea i am thinking TST is the way to go..but the only thing that i am seeing is that it does not have the power at low RPMs. I do a lot of around the town driving from light to light. Im guessing a stack with an EZ or something simular would help off the line and low end to get the turbo spooling quicker. Can you feel the TST helping under normal unloaded everyday driving, or is it just when you stick your foot into it? Thanks for your responces, Jason

2500WHITERAM 04-05-2006 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by realsquash
Start with the BDDL. It costs less, makes more power/heat than the truck will take w/o other add-ons, and runs a lot smoother than a TST.

The TST also has a PITA harness where as the BDDL just plugs in once in the cab and you don't need to even keep it plugged in.

Andy

I AGREE, AFTER TWO (2) TST'S THAT WERE POS JUNK DEFECTIVES, I GAVE UP ON EM AND WENT EZ / BDDL (tRIPPLEDOG)

MY 2CENTS

JCLeary 04-05-2006 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 06Cummins
yea i am thinking TST is the way to go..but the only thing that i am seeing is that it does not have the power at low RPMs. I do a lot of around the town driving from light to light. Im guessing a stack with an EZ or something simular would help off the line and low end to get the turbo spooling quicker. Can you feel the TST helping under normal unloaded everyday driving, or is it just when you stick your foot into it? Thanks for your responces, Jason

The fueling is done based on boost. Ask for the milder twins program and it will start fueling at 4psi, ramping to full fueling at 24psi. It will help.

Stacking with an EZ is great, but not necessary.

jemery 04-05-2006 11:33 AM

I can feel the TST under normal driving conditions, however, you really feel it when you stick your foot in it. Beware, mine smokes like crazy when you get on it, some people think its cool, others don't. Your tranny is going to hate you with just the TST stacking an EZ with will just make it worse.

judge88 04-05-2006 12:55 PM

I AGREE, AFTER TWO (2) TST'S THAT WERE POS JUNK DEFECTIVES, I GAVE UP ON EM AND WENT EZ / BDDL (tRIPPLEDOG)

MY 2CENTS

thats the first time ive ever heard that before. my tst has thrown a code before but so has my bddl. and a box that works like tst thats ok with me cause its awsome. any problems ive had with tst which is usually my fault is dealt with through them as if i was there only customer. they have went out of there way for me a couple times. tst is a great product and company. sorry to hear you had problems with them. on a side note i would watch running that ez /bddl stack if your running the bddl on anything higher than tow since the ez ads pressure. anything higher than tow on the bddl ads pressure as well.

06Cummins 04-05-2006 02:02 PM

thanks for the replies again guys. I think i have made up my mind on the TST which was what i was already leaning to. Now i just need to get my gauges in and it will be time to order. Thanks again, Jason

8mpg 04-05-2006 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 06Cummins
thanks for the replies again guys. I think i have made up my mind on the TST which was what i was already leaning to. Now i just need to get my gauges in and it will be time to order. Thanks again, Jason

This thread has got me lookin into TST, I was really waiting on the Edge Hot Juice with attitude but its going to be another month and a half before its released.

Reaper 04-05-2006 03:56 PM

The TST is an excellent box, but only if your in the boost. It really needs a fueling box to get things going when your off boost.

Also, the TST on my '05 was really prone to setting off the check engine light due to P0336, Crank Shaft Position. It occured four time within the month I had it at various RPM's and engine temps. I called them and they were aware of the problem and currently had an '05 in the shop trying to track down the issue. So if you can stand the occasional CEL then go for it as it sounds like your have big plans for you truck.

The CLDL is great also and is very responsive when your off boost. It can get a little smokey though if you can't control yourself.

If I had to run just one for an extended period of time it would be the CLDL or FlashPaq as they are a better all around package. Nor can I stand to see my CEL on.