3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Triple Dog + 06 = Vin mismatch and truck no workie!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triple Dog + 06 = Vin mismatch and truck no workie!

Well, I managed to screw up my 06. The Bully Dog Triple Dog for the 06 Cummmins screen says " VIN mismatch please unplug. Vehicle will not reprogram without stock from another vehicle." Huh????

Well here is what I did, tell me where I went wrong. I bought the unit brand new off the shelf. The guy said to update it for the 06 off the BDDL website before I install it. So I do that, and I also download the Crazy Larry.

Next I install it in the truck. It now says "Triple Dog Crazy Larry edition Power Pup v2.2.7" So I go to "install download" I press Y and I follow all the prompts to the letter, turning the key on and off when it tells me to. During the download I can hear the fuel pump running constantly for about 30 seconds then it cycles on and off untill the download completes. Weird, but whatever, I continue on. It now has tow economy, performance and Crazy Larry.

O.K., next I enable a couple of cool functions like fog and high beam, Accessory delay, and no horn chirp when locking.

I start the truck and let idle for 5 minutes, I was gonna take it for a test spin, but wife came out last night and said it was 1:00 am, so I get really upset and proceed to smack her up ..... just kidding , I go to bed then proceed to work the next morning in my '99 because I haven't got to test the '06 yet.

Well tonight I fire up the truck and it runs for a few seconds then dies. I crank her over for ten seconds and still nothing. The check engine light is now flashing, so I plug the BDTD in to get the codes, p0513 and p0630. OOOOps! . O.K. not to panic, I'll just reprogram the stock ECM, well no I can't, it says VIN mismatch.

What did I do wrong? And more importantly what can I do to fix it?

...................Jim
Old 05-03-2006, 05:41 AM

i think you might have to get it reflashed at the dealer, and there was 2 programs out for the 06 , not for sure if the others still around but it was a wrong program, lukily wen mine froze up with the first program i had i was at the dealer so the re flashed the T dog, and that fixed my problem, but not for sure if u have the same
Old 05-03-2006, 06:32 AM

maybe this is why my crazy larry does not feel very good, My triple dog after downloading CL still says extreme and is still version 2.2.2?????
Old 05-03-2006, 08:56 AM

I went through the same thing. They told me that happens sometimes when you update off the web.
Anyways, call them, they will run you through the recovery set up on your Triple Dog. Then you can run the recovery set up on your truck. Then your truck will run fine. It will be stock. But you will probally have ABS and air bag lights on and such. This is because the PCM lost it's VIN and programing.
Now there is a chance if you install the Triple Dog at this point, it may cure that. I was told there is a slight chance. I didn't try. I ran mine down to Dodge and they reflashed it for me. I think no matter what, you lost any updated TBS flashes, and having Dodge reflash will get it all back.
I sent my Triple Dog back. Too much risk involved for me. Whether it was Bully Dog's fault or mine.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DO NOT panic.

just call BullyDog, and talk to them, they will fix it, no problem. if they don't, ask for a manager.

they WILL take care of you. There is a lot of code in these ECM's, but BD stands behind their product.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
DO NOT panic.

just call BullyDog, and talk to them, they will fix it, no problem. if they don't, ask for a manager.

they WILL take care of you. There is a lot of code in these ECM's, but BD stands behind their product.
I agree that they are very helpful, and will do what ever they can. But it may be to the point where they tell him to go to the dealer and have it reflashed. I have been down that road.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:44 AM

Thanks Rolngthun and 04ctd, I called BD this morning and they helped me reprogram the VIN. They also helped me get rid of the ABS and Brake lights that came on. Overall I am happy with the end result, but it did take quite a few phone calls before someone finally helped me.

Love the power, but wow, the Crazy Larry sure throws out the smoke with just a stab of the throttle in neutral.

Thanks again...................Jim
Old 05-04-2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Dynomite
Thanks Rolngthun and 04ctd, I called BD this morning and they helped me reprogram the VIN. They also helped me get rid of the ABS and Brake lights that came on. Overall I am happy with the end result, but it did take quite a few phone calls before someone finally helped me.

Love the power, but wow, the Crazy Larry sure throws out the smoke with just a stab of the throttle in neutral.

Thanks again...................Jim
I'm glad they got it all fixed for you.
The first guy I talked to was great, got me set up with the recovery deal, and got my truck running. The second guy I talked to about the ABS and air bag lights was a butt head. He just acted like I messed it up, I should deal with it. And told me to take it to the dealer. He basically is the sole reason why I returned my Triple Dog. And bought an Edge Product. I should say he was the straw that broke the camels back. I was considering giving the Dog a chance until I had to deal with that butt head.