3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Steering box stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering box stabilizer

I just installed a steering box stabilizer on my truck. What an improvemnt! Feels like a totaly different truck now, no more steering wander.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one did you use?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM

To date, that has been the one single change that I have made to my truck that has made the most noticable difference... ITs was incredible and instant how different the truck was...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
To date, that has been the one single change that I have made to my truck that has made the most noticable difference...
That's because you don't have a Smarty jr....
Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a smarty jr and the steering stabilizer was much more noticable than the tuner....the cummins rocks even without the smarty jr!

I got a BD stabilizer off amazon, I think they are all about the same. It's just an additional cross member with a bearing for the steering box.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by verdesardog
I have a smarty jr and the steering stabilizer was much more noticable than the tuner....the cummins rocks even without the smarty jr!

I got a BD stabilizer off amazon, I think they are all about the same. It's just an additional cross member with a bearing for the steering box.
The difference is price. BD is starting to become like ATS, too proud of their product (most they don't even make) and horrible customer service/support.

I bought a PSC stabilizer for about $200 WITH shipping. A recommendation from the guys at Carli. A very quality product!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
but I do.... sorry, I have not updated my sig. in awhile... I have a Smarty Jr. set on the default economy setting and love it as well...

Guess I didnt think about that, I was more focused on things that helped to correct weak/unfinished engineering on Dodges part, The Cummins part isnt weak/unfinished in stock form.. The Smarty just makes it that much better..!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
but I do.... sorry, I have not updated my sig. in awhile... I have a Smarty Jr. set on the default economy setting and love it as well...

Guess I didnt think about that, I was more focused on things that helped to correct weak/unfinished engineering on Dodges part, The Cummins part isnt weak/unfinished in stock form.. The Smarty just makes it that much better..!!!!!!
Okay so you DO have one! Then you will admit that was the #1 most noticeable improvement to your truck. I know I live my smarty... If I take it off for any reason and the warden drives my truck she immediately notices something is wrong with the truck. I am sure I could take off my steering brace, and probably install square wheels and remove the roof and she wouldn't notice any of those things...
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM

I don't let the warden drive my truck or my tractor!!..
I allow her to drive the riding lawnmower though!!!!!!!!
I can say this, she doesnt read what I put on here..
Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Lake
AIN`T IT THE TRUTH!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM

I gotta get one of those real soon. Did that improve handling over bumps as well as improving the handling in a straight line. Its sad that a new Dodge has this kind of steering that would be no better than a stock 75 Chev pickup. And yet isn't a dodge box a Saginaw unit as well like the Chevs?
Old 11-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Got mine on Ebay from Custom Diesel for $119. Son in law got his from BD for twice the price. Pretty much identical units. I was very happy with the tighter steering, and was very surprised at how much it reduced frame flex. Thought my shocks were gone, but now... Whole different story! (NOTE: I have no connection to CD, just very happy with their product)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM

Is this something that all our trucks should get? I have an 03 quad 4x4.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Good question.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 AM

This should be part of the 4x4 trucks from the factory. Cheap insurance to prevent steering box bearing failure, frame flex (definate difference when you hit a dip in the road going through a curve), and frame cracking where the steering box bolts to it.

Quick Reply: Steering box stabilizer