3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

SB DD street clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SB DD street clutch ?

The oil pan has rusted out on my 05' to the point where it has started leaking and needs replaced ASAP. I have experienced some very minor slip in my clutch when towing heavy and have been thinking about upgrading it for some time. Instead of lifting the front of the motor up to swap the oil pan I'm considering taking it to the shop and having them drop the tranny to get at the oil pan instead and doing the clutch, rear main seal, and transfer case output shaft seal while its apart. Very reputable local shop and they recommended the South Bend SDD3250-G-ORG Street Dual Disc all organic clutch for my needs.

So I am looking for feedback, specifically in regards to those that have experience towing with this clutch. My truck is used primarily for hauling my excavator and 14K dump trailer so I am always backing up on difficult approaches on job sites and can not have an overly grabby clutch thats going to buck when I'm backing uphill!

I have 130K on the stock clutch with no problems with the DMF and the motor is all stock and always will be. Definitely loosing some throw on the clutch pedal and this summer I felt like there was some very minor slippage in the clutch but now I've logged another 10K miles with no issues. Sure would hate to do the clutch just over saving a little on shop labor and end up with an overly noisy and grabby clutch when I think there is still life in the stocker....
Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
My advice would be to call South Bend and tell them precisely what your needs are, they will shoot you straight and help alleviate any concerns you have