3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

So I looking for a box?????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I looking for a box?????????

OK all, heres the chance to voice you tried and true facts please. Ive talked to edge (guy i talked to didnt know much)
I talked to Quad (Stan was the man)
I talked to tst (she was as helpful as edge guy)
I had an edge comp in the old rig and loved it.
Now i have an 05 and deperatly need to start the bombing
what box? or perhaps boxes?
the thing i did like about the quad was the digital box is entirely seperate from the power box (warranty I can pull the power box and leave the digital guages)
The edge needs the power box to make the attitude work correctly (i was told)
The edge seems to make the least hp and torque of the three (100)
the quad seems to make the middle of the three (130)
the tst powermax cr says they make (200!!!Holy Edit)

Are they bsing me or what
Should i talk to bank and or bully dog
I plainly and simply just want to make an educated decision. Always doing my research please guys just the facts based on experience i hope.
oh yea right now the truck is stock. I intend in the near future: open up the exhaust as needed
air intake as needed and fuel as needed
the tranny as needed and so on
i dont see twin for another year or two
i only wish to purchase items one time
Old 08-04-2005, 05:05 PM

The TST would be my first choice seeing that it can keep providing power as you do more mods to the tranny and turbo. It also stacks well with many pressure boxes. I have heard the best thing to stack with the TST is the Bully Dog Downloader. I have never done this stack myself but many people rave about it. The tranny and turbo will definately need some serious uprades to handle this stack. If you don't like the idea of the downloader the Van Aaken 3.1 pressure box goes well with the TST and gives it a stronger bottom end.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:09 PM

I have had the bullydog power pup from day one and love it to death. (Ad removed site violation)
Old 08-04-2005, 05:17 PM

I would install a TST and be done with it. I think the display is a little cheap looking, but it is the best box you can buy if you plan on going bigger and better HP #'s later on.

All the other boxes are basically a "this is what you get" where the TST is a "these levels are where you can go"...

I am sure Quad could probably custom flash something for later improvements so you might ask about that.

Note the TST is probably capable of the HP claims, but you need turbo / 's, tranny, exhaust to hold the insane power levels... So keep it down unless you want to risk the stock turbo....
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 PM

I have had my 05 since January. The steps I took in motor mods were in the following order.

AFE intake & intake tube
Install fuel, boost, pyro gauges in the a pillar
Junked the cat & factory muffler & installed full flow
TST w/o gauges
Edge EZ

I wanted to get the gauges in before I started bombing so I could keep track of the changes.
I really like the adjust ability and sheer grunt of the TST and would recommend it.
Just make sure when you bomb your 05 you know a good DC tech who wont try and screw you out of warranty if something should go bad. I feed mine beer it makes him happy
Old 08-04-2005, 08:34 PM

quick question
what is everyone talking about when they say "downloader" is this different than say an edge comp or ez?
Pressure box?

politely asking a stupid question i guess but please explain
Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 PM

Downloaders are tuning modules that replace the actual programming of your ECM. Basically they flash a new program into your trucks brains that is more agressive. They are called downloaders, because that is how you install the program, you download it into your trucks electronics.

I'm very leary of the downloaders. The companies will say that you can return your truck back to a stock program, but most people don't realize that it is not THEIR stock program. Its a stock program of some test truck at Bully Dog, or whoever. That means, if you have had flashes done to your truck, that were not done to Bully Dog's test truck, you will lose all of them as soon as you upload a program into the trucks ECM. This is a big red flag for dealers when you take your truck to service and they see that a flash they installed previously is no longer there.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Genros, another thing is you should state what your HP/TQ goals are. There are so many boxes out there that give you small to extreme gains that it is a very open ended question. We'll need more details before we can offer a box.

You will find that most will recommend the TST if you don't have any ideas of where you want to take your truck. This is about the only box that you can grow with as you add additional mods to the motor. Most of the others work great on stock engines, but are limited in top potential.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:07 AM

Is the TST a downloader. The last statement completely put me against downloaders. I like the idea of removing and still haveing a warranty.
Can someone now explain the stack ?
I thought the tst added fuel pressure also? If so why stack?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 PM

The TST box is a fuel pressure box, but does nothing to advance the timing of the injection event. Therefore a stack with a timing box will really wake things up!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:10 PM

Uh...the last staement is really really null and void. TST is a duration and a timing box and does NOTHING with fuel pressure. Stack a small pressure box and viola!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by BigBlueDodge
Downloaders are tuning modules that replace the actual programming of your ECM. Basically they flash a new program into your trucks brains that is more agressive. They are called downloaders, because that is how you install the program, you download it into your trucks electronics.

I'm very leary of the downloaders. The companies will say that you can return your truck back to a stock program, but most people don't realize that it is not THEIR stock program. Its a stock program of some test truck at Bully Dog, or whoever. That means, if you have had flashes done to your truck, that were not done to Bully Dog's test truck, you will lose all of them as soon as you upload a program into the trucks ECM. This is a big red flag for dealers when you take your truck to service and they see that a flash they installed previously is no longer there.
so like TST can be unplugged and never detected as being there??
Old 08-06-2005, 06:04 AM

Nope. The TST must be hardwired in so the techs can tell that something was hooked up. That's the only reason I don't run that box on my truck,yet!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:57 AM

so now we found out the tst has to be hardwired but it is the strongest box for future building. So where do you go from there. How do you do the install without a ech seeing it