3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need help on a pacbrake prxb system...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on a pacbrake prxb system...

Hello I have installed a Pacbrake on my truck. The truck has a Banks six gun and triple lock converter. I have had up grades done in the trans like valve body clutches and steels and so on. I have followed all the instructions to a tee and checked over things three times now. Here is the problems I am having. One the warn up feature is not working. Two the brake will engage when you take your foot off the throttle and hold it till around 30mph with no problem. If you have to go through more then two cycle of speeding up then slowing down the brake will not engage after the second time you take you foot off the accelerator. The converter is still locked but it will not engage, I even tried burping the throttle to see if it will engage but nothing. The third thing is that at about 25mph if you take your foot off the throat it will engage and lock relay quick and hard then disengage right away some times. I have checked over and over and over again the whole ting and can't find anything wrong. So anyone have any thoughts. Been on the phone with Pacbreak and they say just to check every thing done that for the past two days and nothing. It is so frustrating because it will work good about 1/3 the time and then the other 2/3 it wont. I have used a meeter to check all my connections and its good. Any thoughs Oh and i am in tow/hall mode like the directions say. Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 09:51 PM

That sounds very much like the air pressure is not holding or a line is leaking down. The air reservoir is small so won't take much to drain it down if the compressor has to overcome leaks as well. Check that cause if it works once then it should work multiple times. So you have obviously installed it coorectly.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 PM

I had similar issues and it was air pressure like stated above. I had a leak in a line and when found issue was resolved. Buddy of mine had issues with his compressor out of warranty. replaced it with upgraded unit and it works fine since. Not sure if these are your issues but check on them. Both issues don't sustain enough pressure to keep valve closed completely. Dodge challenger is probably right on money!! Hope you get it fixed.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks guys for the help and it seems to be something to do with the electric portion of the system. I get the red light when start up to show me its on. Start driving and if i take my foot off the accelerator the light will go orange to show its engaged. Then thing i do not seem to get is a green light when driving. I one or two times that the green light came on if I stepped a little harder on the accelerator peddle it would go right out and not come back on. I have checked of air leaks and it seem to be good.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Make sure the ECM connections seated properly
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 PM

I have and I even checked all of the pins in the plug and the ECM. Went with a volt ohm meter between the plug and where each wire connected to make sure I had a good connection. I am thinking it's in the ECM. I have lock up on the TC and it still will not reengage the break.It is like it's not getting a signal or if it is the ECM is bad and just not activating it. I am at a loose this is the third day i have spent going over the same things and can't find anything wrong on my part. I also have it in tow/hall mode all the time like they say. Just don't know guess it's going to be a another phone call to them.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM

it depends if you think it is the ECM not grounding the trigger (pin42) or if you think it is "losing" the ground and not activating (pin39).

If i were going to test it, i would remove the wire that goes between the ECM (pin42) and spade number 85 on the relay. I would turn the truck on and ground spade 85 a few times and cycle the brake and see if i could recreate the problem.
you may have a bad relay that is not turning on the air compressor.

Joe
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Ok i am at a lose with this and they can not seem to find the problem. I have been over the system 6 times now. No air leaks or electrical problem on my part. I don't get over 125psi max. With the switch off it should cycle three times consecutively and it's not. It will cycle once then the compressor will go in at 114psi and when it shuts off the brake will cycle two more times only for the compressor to go back on. It said 150psi on the compressor but never goes past 125. I have no warm up feature at all. When driving the break will engage and once it disengages I then can't seem to get it to reengage a second time. It is very erratic on getting engagement on the brake. If it dose reengage a second time it seems to be hit and miss on it engaging. I don't get a green light when driving to on the switch ether. I am totally at a lose and looking for anyone with a PACBREAK to see if they have any help. Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Why don't you give Pacbrake a call?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM

I have and they are not sure what the problem is. They are now sending out a new control unit. Lets hope this works.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Not sure if this means much as I have an 06 with the EB software pre installed from factory no out side module needed like your 05. But since my new full built trans lock up on down hills descents does not engage when it drops out of 4th to 3rd in unless I give a tick of throttle response to in gauge the TQ. I've been told is is do too the difference in line pressure over OEM. As you should too have an increase in line pressure for the trans mods you have done. For me I know it's my truck not EB. The EB is only waiting for my ECM to tell it what to do. So not sure I' of any help but thought I'd throw this out there.