3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty junior EGT's and Smoke Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty junior EGT's and Smoke Q's

Hey guys, I've had the junior for a few weeks now and have a couple questions for you. (PS, i put a 4" exhaust with free flow muffler, and not CAT on a month ago)

How does Jr make more power with lower EGT's? I'm assuming by advancing the timing...and if that's the case, does that make more heat inside the cylinder to the point that I won't see it on my (pre-turbo) pyro?
Is this something I need to account for when towing, eg, keep EGT's on gauge under 1200*?

On any of the 3 Jr tunes, my truck smokes, least on Fuel Econ, most on performance. It smokes mostly at low RPM's, coming off of a light, etc. It's a 6 speed, so it's smoking in the first 4 to 5 gears after a stop. I haven't played with any of the TM settings yet, but I'm just getting a feel for those of you who have the JR to see if you're getting smoke.

If it's smoking more than it should, what would be the causes? Turbo damaged, eg, fins on either side maybe? Bearing? Would a slower spooling turbo increase smoke? Anything else?

Thanks very much guys.

PS, I did a compression test on it, 410 across the board, and dyno'ed 285rwhp at BD on stock tune. The tech said it looked fine except maybe power was coming on a little late.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 PM

As you'll find every trucks different as well as driver. Definitely play with both tm and tq as they both play roles in smoke.
Towing for me sw1 tm4 tq4 is my sweet towing spot and yes she will ploom-haze if I luge it but can control it to some extent but for the most part it's pretty light Dayle. But sw3 tq4, tm 4 wow she will block out an intersection. Hopefully one day Marco will find the sweet spot for both power and minimal smoke but fuel quality is the killer.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 AM

my jr. smokes down low pretty good, but cleans up, I'm a 6 speed too. My auto truck doesn't smoke near as much, again we 6 speeds load the engine down low a LOT more than an auto.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me.

You are correct on the timing, stock max continuous EGT should be in the 1450* range, with the timing of the Jr drop that to 1300*, with short burts to 1350*.

Did you replace the whole exhaust or just the muffler? Either way won't effect your EGT's/smoke too much.