3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty ?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty ?

First of all i would like someone to explain what timing does. I know what the fuel does but in my last post people were asking me why i was running my Smarty on even numbers (fuel only). Well i dont know what the timing does for me except adding more smoke and i have sort of just been experimenting and have not blown anything up except a transmission but i figured that was going to go anyways but that is done, over with and fixed now. So what does the timing do?

Second, how do i change the speed limiter with the smarty? I have the old school Smarty (not even in the DTR store) from my old truck. I went through all the options and could not find anything except the tire size but i had already changed that.

Third, what should i run my Smarty on with my mods. I drive very conservative unless I am racing someone which is rare, not an every day thing.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 AM

I think you need to go threw the "ecm update" option to change speed limiter but i could be wrong. Or update to tnt or revo and do it that way.

Diesels have "retarded timing" so what most programmers do is "advance" that timing in order to get more power and better automization of fuel for the truck. (somone correct me if im wrong)

Hope this helps
Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM
tcr

I saw your other post, read through it, I believe you need to update your Smarty w/ your computer, to a newer tune.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 AM

ok, ill try to update it. soon as i get a chance. I agree with you. It is pretty old School. Went through the whole thing last night andthe only things you can do is change catcher, tire size, and read codes.

What is Ideal timing and does smarty have that? Does the timing go up with the catchers?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by TXboy
ok, ill try to update it. soon as i get a chance. I agree with you. It is pretty old School. Went through the whole thing last night andthe only things you can do is change catcher, tire size, and read codes.

What is Ideal timing and does smarty have that? Does the timing go up with the catchers?
Wow, that is a really old school Smarty. I believe the Revo software has the speed limiter.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM

I dont know if what your referring to as an old Smarty is an S04, but the newer ones that are similar are an S06. I think you can look at the vin number somewhere on it or on the packaging. Should have the call letters on it.

I personally have the older one myself (S04) and have updated mine to include all of the same software as stated above and in your last post. There's no real difference in the outcome of the tuning software, I just think the S06 downloads quicker. Not much difference, just get yours updated and go from there. Just make sure to download S04 software and not the S06!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:49 PM

on the back it says S04 real big but on the vin it says S06. And it has to be an S06 because the S04 doesnt work for the 2006 trucks from what i understand.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Then only the program is old, not the smarty itself. The vesion of your software flashes when you plug in your smarty. Look at it, let these fellas know, and then you'll know what version you have and what to expect with another one.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 AM

It says V: 4.06 D D: 2.06 A
Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 AM

Ho boy is that old. You definitely need to update the software loaded on your Smarty.

I think someone else suggested you load/run 4.11. I would agree with them. I was running Beta 4.4, but it was too smokey for me and I went back to 4.11. I was happier with 4.11 than with Revo (until I got POD--Ha! Now I'm a POD person ).
Old 04-11-2009, 05:58 AM

LVTony..
You had the regular Smarty and say 4.4 was smokey? Did the POD using the same 4.4 allow you to run same 4.4 settings without the smoke?

On my truck 4.4 is the best for smoke control I have used of the Smartys that add pressure. I am trying to find a method to control the smoke at the moment..
Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Added timing makes more efficient use of the fuel injected. Our trucks have retarded timing for emissions. Too much timing is bad. Causes stress on connecting rods, bearings etc. The Smarty timing should be safe. You will reduce timing if you add larger injectors as they add timing by more fuel sooner.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
LVTony..
You had the regular Smarty and say 4.4 was smokey? Did the POD using the same 4.4 allow you to run same 4.4 settings without the smoke?

On my truck 4.4 is the best for smoke control I have used of the Smartys that add pressure. I am trying to find a method to control the smoke at the moment..
I haven't even tried 4.4 since I got the POD upgrade. 4.4 wasn't too bad off the line unless I got into it, but what really sucked was the 3-4 (or 4-3) shift around 48 mph. If I wasn't careful, it would send out a nice cloud. Not really something you want to do too much in an urban environment.

I'm surprised. You should see a lot of smoke with your tighter DTT TC and II Silver62; although, once it spools, it would clean up more and faster than mine. I purposely got a towing TC when I had Dave do my transmission. Maybe you did too, since your rig looks to be setup for towing.

I ended up downloading Revo #9, TM3, IT2, RP2, WG0 and have POD at 38. Even though it has less power than stock at POD38, the power comes on better from idle because of the TM3. Overall, it's more drive-able around town and the transmission shifts are nicer; although, passing on the highway is a little suckey. Smoke is practically nonexistent unless I set POD back up high.

I really need to do the aftermarket LP and Turbo if I were going to run pressure regularly at full [Smarty] power, but then I'd need a cam and exhaust manifold to try and mitigate the higher spool RPM... $$$ $$$
Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Just like I used to have . I had a S04 that was updated to the "Wild" S06. You have a very old "Wild" program that is nowhere as nice as the new stuff at MADS. Well at least on my 07 it wasn't as nice. So, as long as the sticker says S06.........., you have a S06 in a S04 case...

Update that sucker to the Revo TNT and have some fun. Remember, you can't go back unless you talk to Bob....