3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

side tow mirrors LED light install??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
side tow mirrors LED light install??

Has anyone installed LED lights on their side mirrors ??

for Clearance or turn signals
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Havn't, but I'd like to!!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

X2 on that!!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM

Would love to have some!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 PM

I installed the one dodge offers that have the led maker lights and turn signals, what do you need to know?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
got any pics?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM

Im interested as well. I've searched aftermarket but havent come up with anything good yet.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Did anyone ever do this and post a step by step? I saw an earlier thread on an 03, but I have an 07 w/ oem flip out tow mirrors (heated & electric). Have added Mopar clearance lights, but would like the lights toward the outside edge of the mirrors.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM

I have been searching for led lights to mount on the outside edge also,no luck so far. The ones from Dodge are the same ones as the ****'s. I don't like the looks of them. The only thing that ford did right on the superduty was the tow mirrors,larger spot mirror seperate from the regular mirror. The spot mirror on the dodge tow mirrors are to small!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Well, I've not got 'em hooked up yet, but they're mounted! Like usual, one of the 50 little projects I've started at the same time, that I just can't find time to finishing!

These lights aren't led, but they're sealed bulb rated for something like 40,000 hour life expentancy. I bought them through JC Whitney. They come in chrome backing or black (obviously I used the black here). The consist of an aluminum mounting channel, tapered end caps, and the light "strip" that pushes into the channels. All the individual lights in the strip terminate in a two wire lead, so wiring them up is easy. This is definately a good way to go if cost is an issue...I think I probably paid $25 for the 4 lights needed to do the two mirrors.

I've also used the same style lights on the front air dam, running boards, my trailers, and even some in the bed to light things up at night. Because the current draw is so low, I've had no problem with hooking them up to existing circuitry.

I do have the lights wired up elsewhere on the truck. The smallest ones on the side mirror are the same light as the small amber seen on the side of the air dam in front...

I'll probably end up painting all of them with the NiteShades paint to give things a little more subtle look.

They seem to be pretty tough, as I've put them through some rough stuff, and they just keep on going. I sunk deep enough in mud to break 2 of the light lenses in the bumper, but these strip lights never missed a lick!

Although they're a single filament bulb, there's an easy way to wire them up to be used as a running/marker light and turn signals. Basically, run the positive lead of the light strip to a positive marker light wire, and run the negative lead of the light strip to a positive turn signal wire. This allows dual purpose use out of a single filament bulb. The strip will ground through the positive of the turn signal when just the markers are on. When the turn signal flashes, the light strip receives double positives (which equal a negative here), and they will go out. So, in essence, they flash just opposite of the the factory turn signals. I know I didn't explain this very well in electrical terms, but it works.

I won't have internet access till Monday, but I'll be happy to answer any questions then.

--Eric
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Looks great! Is that a 6in and a 9in combination??
Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned

Looks great! Is that a 6in and a 9in combination??
Actually a 3" and a 6" I believe. For the shorter lengths anyway, there seems to be 1 bulb / every 3". i.e. 1 bulb in a 3", 2 in a 6", 3 in a 9....
Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Thanks, that looks like what I want to do, I'll be interest as to how you wire them in, especially the blinker part --- I'd be concerned it would short something, but I don't know that much about DC electrical. Let me know how you run the wire through the mirror.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 AM
PCM

Hey Eric. Mirror lights look great. Please post how AND the success of your wiring of them into the electrical system. I'm very interested in doing the same to mine. Thanks for the great pix and info. PCM
Old 09-03-2016, 04:51 PM

Side tow mirror wiring

Eric, I installed led lights the way you described and it worked great except for when I hit my brakes the lights go out, the turn signal will still work while the brake is depressed but the other side goes out. Did yours do the same thing ? Any suggestions on this would be great !

Quick Reply: side tow mirrors LED light install??