3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

rokktech and mpg udate and question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rokktech and mpg udate and question

installed the rokk tech sensor last week. so far it does exactly like they claim, about 1 mpg more with smoother idle and more power the 1 mpg shows up on both the hand calc and on the computer so far happy with it

question is why is my computer 12% off from what i am hand calculating and which should be more accurate

does the computer not adjust for what i might overfill in the fill neck of the tank

so once the tank is full anything i overfill in the neck is not accounted for by the computer resulting in poor accuracy what gives?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Banned

Once you do any mod to the truck the overhead is off. That's if it was even accurate from the factory.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:27 AM

Just did the sensor install today. Too soon for mileage diff,but I'll tell ya the first time she cranked for 3 seconds (usually 1 sec.) before firing and had a knock pulling away but that's the cetane in the PS diesel kleen Rokktech says. No codes thrown so far. After work tonight she fired up as usual, but it being colder, first getting on the road the knock was lasting longer ?. That's a difference. Next fill I run Howes and mmo combo and see versus ps/mmo.
My overhead did creap up .3 as I don't reset between fills which raised an eyebrow. Once running it is a smoother/less throttle more grunt below 2000 rpm definately! Boost is the same but egt is down 50. The only time my overhead matches hand calculations have been running straight hwy, towing or empty didn't matter. That's filling up to the neck and driving for 6-8 hours steady. Do a little stop and go city and it never matches.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Running the Power Service Diesel Klean with cetane booster will definately rattle at lower rpms. Less rattle with the winter version of PS from my experience.
With the Rokktech I picked up 1mpg around town, 2mpg towing and no change for empty highway (22mpg @ 70mph).

MikeyB
Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 AM

I just heard about this sensor from this post. I went to go check it own at rokktech.com and they dont explain it to me all that well. What does this sensor do? I can read it does something with adjusting timing. If yall can explain this for me that would be great, it seems like a cheap mod thats good.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sevir
I just heard about this sensor from this post. I went to go check it own at rokktech.com and they dont explain it to me all that well. What does this sensor do? I can read it does something with adjusting timing. If yall can explain this for me that would be great, it seems like a cheap mod thats good.
Rokktech takes a stock crankshaft sensor and mills it to allow adjustability. Doing so will add about 2 degrees of timing. Adding timing helps with the low rpm performance with slightly more engine noise, and in most cases increases fuel economy. The tone wheel mod does the same and it's free. Plenty of info for the DIY in this forum.

MikeyB
Old 11-11-2005, 10:22 PM

sorry so late with a response had the flu last two days. feel like crapola

i don't know why some guys rigs runs rougher with the sensor. i am not running any boosters in my fuel

i live at altitude so it is getting cold here 30s at night i am plugging my truck in at night but i haven't noticed any rough idle everything is smoother, starting idling acceleration

and gas mileage is going up still

i averaged 17.2 out of my last tank. i know that doesn't sound great but consider i climb 3500 ft in altitude on my commute home and i am not exactly keeping my foot out it, i have 35 miles of uphill travel some pretty heavy grades each day

if i had an empty run of relatively flat highway i am thinking 19-20 wouldn't be out of the question @70mph, i have the 3.73s so at 70 i am turning 2000 rpms

thanks for the input guys sorry i had to ignore you for a day or so. but hey i had a meal stay down today so things are looking up
Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 PM

just purchased my rokktech sensor 5 minutes ago. cant wait to get put it on and see what it does.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:13 AM

I almost bought the Roktech sensor but, opted to take the cheap way out instead. I milled the Tone Ring. Took about 45 minutes with dremmel, 15mm socket and 1/2 drive breaker bar. The tone ring is what the sensor reads from.

Very simply, remove the fan belt, remove the harmonic balancer (15mm socket and breaker bar), tone ring slips right off.
With the tone ring on the bench, use the dremmel to mill the left side of the dowel pin hole and remove about 1/16th in. This will allow you to turn the tone Ring clock wise (front facing rear) once installed. Put it all back together and you're done.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I finally got around to installing my Rokk Tech Sensor too. My experience with it the few miles I have driven with it on, is about the same as others have reported. Seems to be a little smoother at idle, has quite a bit more get up on the low end, and mileage has improved somewhat around town according to the overhead. So far im happy with it. Hopefully in a week or so I will have a better feel for the differences between the Rokktech vs. stock sensor.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Running the Power Service Diesel Klean with cetane booster will definately rattle at lower rpms. Less rattle with the winter version of PS from my experience.
With the Rokktech I picked up 1mpg around town, 2mpg towing and no change for empty highway (22mpg @ 70mph).

MikeyB
Interesting observation Mikey. I normally use Standyne and while I was out hunting and needed to fill up, I purchased some PS and noticed a more pronounced rattle @ about 1100 rpm's. Was not overally concerned but made me pay attention. Since running that tank down and filling up and pouring in my Standyne, the rattle went away. HMMM, learned something and more @ ease. Thanks for that info, now I feel better.