Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Resetting codes?? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/resetting-codes-96164/)

tristan21 03-17-2006 09:03 PM

Resetting codes??

If I reset my codes with a scanner that was purchased from an auto parts store (around $350) will it just delete the blown codes or will it actually reset my ecm programs. Ive never messed with those things and have no idea what im doin. Im hoping I will be able to reset my speedo also for the 295's. Also if I were to get the truck flashed by the dealer which flash should I get and should it cost me anything??

RamWheelsBy4 03-17-2006 11:01 PM

If your scanner reads the codes then it should be able to clear the codes. This is not reseting the ECM, just clearing the codes. If the reason the code was set is no longer present then the code will eventually clear itself. It will just take a while.

None of the generic OBDII scanners I know of can reprogram "Pinion Factor" for larger tires. You need a DBRIII tool with proper updates for that ECM, normally only a dealer has one.

Unless you have a specific problem, I would not worry about flashing ECM. Depending on the build date/serial number of your 04.5 Cummins the TSB 18-037-04 is to correct white smoke on cold start, overhead mileage calculation and minimal mileage improvement. It did nothing for mine.

tristan21 03-17-2006 11:21 PM

Thanks, I may try the TSB you mentioned just to give it a go. That is if they dont try to charge me for it. It needs to go in for the speedo anyhow might as well let'm screw with all of it. Im hoping maybe it might help the overhead with a few of it's inaccurate readings. I gotta be gettin more than 14.5 with WOT [laugh]

koogala 03-18-2006 07:24 AM

I got a flash for poor mpg. It cost me nothing. I got a 2-3 mpg increase.

tristan21 03-19-2006 11:52 PM

I tried to reset the codes with one today that is made by B&B electronics that was an OBDII and it would not read the come. It was the laptop kind that shows all the parameters on the screen. It would shoe that it had the check engine light on but it would not reset it nor would it show what the exact problem was. I know that it works on the old mans 2000 CTD but it was having a hard time receiving the data. I had to manually put in my vin etc. I think maybe I might need to unplug the edge/juice module to get it done. Does this sound right or should it read them regardless?

RamWheelsBy4 03-20-2006 06:32 AM

What codes do you show when you do "key" code check. (turn key off to on 3 times without starting, leave on, codes will display on OD read out)??