3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced My AC Condenser & Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Replaced My AC Condenser & Intercooler

I thought to replace my AC condenser when I replaced my intercooler because it looked crappy - too many knees hitting it as people worked on my truck. I happened to come across a replacement on Summit Racing for $100 or so.

I was quite impressed by the look as it sits further away from the intercooler. I was even more impressed at how big the change was in cooling the cab down. It was good before, but now the temps at the vents are almost unbearable on the fingertips.

I thought it was worth the money. Easy to change. Although the holes to mount to the intercooler didn't match up perfect even with the supplied brackets that came with the new IC, it was pretty easy to do a small amount of fabrication with some stainless bolts and the spare brackets.

I had all the Banks IC tubes, intake and heater grid delete powder coated a metallic orange to match the company colour. $170 for that. I hated the Banks red so I thought it was worth it...
Attached Thumbnails Replaced My AC Condenser & Intercooler-img_0861.jpg   Replaced My AC Condenser & Intercooler-img_0858.jpg   Replaced My AC Condenser & Intercooler-img_0859.jpg   Replaced My AC Condenser & Intercooler-img_0860.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the middle of replacing my compressor and I got a coil like that from napa and I thought it looked anemic compared to my 03 coil. My 03 coil is 7/8" thick and has double row tubes. The napa coil is 11/16" thick and has flat cells like a radiator core. How thick was your oem coil. Napa told me the 06 is 3/4" thick. Some guys talk about using the 06 coil on 03s because it's bigger. I'm trying to figure it all out! Craig
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 PM

The entire unit is the same height and length as stock. However, it seems the width is not necessarily as thick.

In my opinion, one cannot judge the coils on such a simple view. Just like an intercooler, there are many different factors. The type of metal would be one factor, fin density would be another, as would fin design…

Really then, all I can say is the unit I purchased works far better than the stock one I had that was mashed up a bit...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So now are you may as well get the condensor guard and tool tray from Genos Garage. I have BOTH of them on my 2005 truck and they install easily and work really well.

http://www.genosgarage.com/DODGE-RAM...D%5FGR%5F0307/

http://www.genosgarage.com/TOOL-TRAY...info/TOOLTRAY/
Old 08-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Very cool! (pun intended)

One thing I wonder is what would happen if one installed an electric fan on the face of the coils. I mean, there's the ac, then IC, transmission cooler (?), and radiator. That's a lot to go through. So I've been thinking: I wonder why one couldn't give the entire system a bit of help with a low-profile fan...?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Forum member Dodgezilla has a write up on this.....he claims it works wonders....do a search for it and happy reading.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put 2 - 12" fans where the cooler is located on the autos. It sure cools down a lot faster and cooling is good in city traffic. From what I've read, a lo pro fan barely fits in front of the cond. coil and you said your new coil is farther out. Craig