3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Radio upgrade

The radio/CD player in my truck had died, so am considering a replacement and maybe an upgrade. There is a mind boggling variety of single DIN radios to choose from, but now I am considering upgrading to a double DIN AM/FM/CD radio with maybe a built in GPS. Have a bunch of questions that maybe some of you can help with;

- Can a double DIN fit in my truck without moving the A/C controls?

- Is here a modified faceplate/facia available that will make this upgrade look like a factory installation?

- Already have Garwin GPS that is tranferable to any vehicle. Can the maps in this be downloaded into a fixed GPS? Still waiting on a reply from Garwin on this.

- Anybody done this upgrade?

- Many other questions, but that is enough for now.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Try looking at crutchfield.com. You can look them up specific to your vehicle, they have units listed with gps etc..... They also have the trim pieces for factory look.

Last edited by ftltmp; 09-26-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add info
The following users liked this post:
2-Stroke (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:10 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Thanks. Already been looking at their stuff. Also been looking at Carid. Too many to choose from. So far can't see any reason to go to a double DIN in place of my single DIN. I have a 7" Garwin GPS that I move from vehicle to vehicle, so in reality I really do not need another GPS. All I want is a good AM/FM/CD.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I took out my stock Nav when it failed and went back in with a JVC single DIN. The JVC Arsenal KD-AR959BS. It has Bluetooth and I can use my steering wheel controls still... Im pretty pleased with it. CF did the install too.

Last edited by 2-Stroke; 09-26-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added the model of the radio
Old 09-27-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm planning to do the double din upgrade and get a unit with Apple CarPlay. I agree there's no point in a built-in Nav. But the larger displays are nice and update the look of the truck's interior. The double din dash bezel used to be expensive. But now you can get them pretty cheap from CF or ebay. I think Amazon even has them. Be careful about what you order if you have the Infinity sound on your truck and/or the factory bluetooth. I don't know if those were around in 2003. If you use CF, fill out your truck and they will list the parts you need.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:42 PM

After much checking around I ended up going to my local Autozone and buying a reasonably good Pioneer. Surprisingly they had a reasonably good selection of radios and they were also the cheapest. They did not stock the faceplate that I needed, but Walmart had exactly what I needed. It looks quite good and the sound is fine for a truck and my wife says that it sounds better than the original radio. I think so too. Installed the radio myself. Only 14 wires to figure out where to connect them.

I found a few nice radios at some US suppliers, but by the time I convert my money to USD and pay for transportation, they were not worth it.