Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   puttin the silencer ring back in (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/puttin-silencer-ring-back-50412/)

HorseHauler 09-04-2004 09:11 PM

puttin the silencer ring back in

how hard is it to put these things back in?

Tfeore 09-04-2004 09:43 PM

Takes more work to get the tube off than to get the ring and snap ring back in(It's easy). Why would you want it back in? Just curious...

wannadiesel 09-04-2004 09:44 PM

Probably a four letter word that starts with "w". ;)

Tfeore 09-04-2004 09:54 PM

If that truely is the case, the one I've got can't tell a difference.[laugh]

HorseHauler 09-05-2004 09:48 AM

no the eight letter word that starts with w... i dont care what she thinks....

Tfeore 09-05-2004 10:46 AM

I understand your concern but the silencer ring does nothing to effect performance. It can't cause a warranty issue.

It only reduces turbulance into the turbo, silencing the [whistle]

Tom

HorseHauler 09-05-2004 10:50 AM

knowing me id find somehow to screw it up and get shavings in their when i take it off... im just a scaredy cat i reckon....

Tfeore 09-05-2004 11:10 AM

Don't let it scare you, are you tring to get it back in or take it out?

I've had mine in and out 2X. The worst part was losing an 8mm(?) deep well socket. Fell off the extension, hit the block and I have no idea where it ended up.

HorseHauler 09-05-2004 11:23 AM

i have yet to take it out but trying to figure this all out before i do

Tfeore 09-05-2004 11:32 AM

Don't let it stress ya, just get after it. You'll look back in a day or two and wonder why you hadn't done it sooner. I used a flat head screwdriver, you can get it under the notch and pull it out. If you want a picture, PM me and I'll send you a pic of the snap ring.

Tom

Bubba_CTD 09-05-2004 12:17 PM

Here's a shot of the ring... just use two small screwdrivers. I tried to use the same one I took the intake tube off and it was jsut too big... that's where I got a couple scrapes from. I used a smaller one that was able to get into the groove better and lifted up enough so I could get a really small screwdriver under it and pried it on out.

Here's a shot when I was taking mine out... you can see the thin dark ring just inside, that's the clip and then the silencer behind it.

SportTruck 09-05-2004 10:49 PM

Or you could just use a pair of pliers and pull the thing out and throw it in the trash where it belongs. the snap ring will remain on the turbo housing, takes about 4 minutes total. Oh, unless you dont like people asking you why your truck sounds like a jet coming down the road. its your choice. p.s. using pliers will ruin the ring because its about as thick as a pop can-- but who cares about saving the thing.