3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Removing Edge before dealer visit???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing Edge before dealer visit???

Ok I have a question for you guys...
I have been thinking about getting an Edge becuase the price is nice for all the features it comes with and gauges... Then once I have the tranny I will get a Smarty...

So I take my truck to the dealer for oil changes and things (they only charge $49!) But they are a no go with Edge... they even told me I can do a lot to my truck and wont void the warranty as long as there isn't an Edge or Superchips on it!

So do you guys pull everything out every time you vist the dealer even for oil changes??? Sounds like a BIG PITA to me...

If so how much time does it take you to do this if you do?

Also where did you mount everything to keep them from suspecting the install?

And last but not least, what do you do with the EGT probe?

Thanks so much for your help with this I would really like to keep my warranty and I understand not to let on to anything when I talk with them, and I know you gotta pay to play and all but I am trying to figure out if it is worth doing and if I can hide the goodies!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you dont feel like changing the oil yourself pay somone an extra 10 dollars and spend like 60 @ oil lube place.

its worth 10 bucks not to take all that off haha
Old 10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned

I agree. Either do it yourself or take it to Jiffy Lube. The Juice will take about 30 minutes to remove, and you can't completly remove it. You will still have the fitting for the pyrometer and the pyrometer thermocouple in the exhaust manifold.

That or get a Smarty now and wait till you have more trans work done to crank it up. Totally undetectable and lots of nice options. You can always add a pyrometer in an SRT10 pod like I have to watch your tems without having a ton of gauges.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:06 PM

If your dealer says no to Edge, I'd remove it. My brother has the Banks on his, and the dealership he goes to doesn't say anything about it. Maybe they don't know?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:14 PM

they know...just wait until you have engine or transmission trouble trouble. thye will be quyick to remind you that you had that box on your truck. I've even heard of dealer mechanics taking pictures of and logging any mods they see on the trucks when they service them.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:20 PM

I always pull my juice off and place my srt10 pyro tip in the manifold before taking it in. I once forgot to remove my overhead attitude monitor, but no one noticed . I felt kinda retarded when I jumped back in the cab when I picked it up and the edge attitude monitor is right there.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't bother going to the dealer with a bunch of aftermarket stuff on the truck - you're just giving them ammo
Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 PM

My dealer's service manager said the Edge was OK because it wasn't as aggressive as others. With that being said, I'll still remove it if it goes in for any warranty work. I do my own oil changes etc so that's not an issue
Old 10-25-2006, 04:23 PM

I don't get this attitude of the dealer should fix it regardless. What ever happened to "you play, you pay"?

If you are going to put aftermarket stuff on a vehicle that changes the factory settings, why would you expect the factory to fix something broken caused by the aftermarket product you installed.

Factory settings are set for a reason. The factory has spent a lot of money and time testing to find the optimum setting for longevity, power, durability, EPA restrictions and customer satisfaction. Expecting them to stand behind a modified product is ludacris.

One of the reasons a new truck costs 40K is the amount of money the manufacturer expects to pay to fix a vehicle under the warranty period.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:58 PM

Your right to a certain extent on the..you pay, you play saying. But what do you do when you have done nothing to your truck, take it in for injector issues and they come back and say that it was contaminated fuel...sorry, that'll be 2 grand.... So personally I think it comes out in a wash, from the people they stick it too on warranty items that they don't cover, and from when they stick it to little old ladys and such..
Old 10-25-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty $600+ and then add $300+ for gauges! ouch
Edge on Ebay $645 Done...

Thats why I was thinking about the Edge for now. I just want a little more power and 1-2mpg would be great!

So if I had an Edge no dealer huh?

Can you get some kind of plug for the EGT probe?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 PM

Yeah, you can get a 1 1\8 pipe plug from any hardware store...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure the 1/8"NPT plug has a Dodge part #
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 PM

I just take off my edge juice when I take it to the dealer, but I've always left the pyro probe in place, and route the wire to the firewall. I just planned on saying that I'm waiting for my EGT gauge if they ever asked, but they never have.
I know the whole "you play, you pay" idea, and I wouldn't ask them to replace my injectors or something major if it was caused by my juice. But I'd rather not have some yahoo tech void my warranty just because they see the juice, if it hasn't caused any damage.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Guardrail
I don't get this attitude of the dealer should fix it regardless. What ever happened to "you play, you pay"?

If you are going to put aftermarket stuff on a vehicle that changes the factory settings, why would you expect the factory to fix something broken caused by the aftermarket product you installed.

Factory settings are set for a reason. The factory has spent a lot of money and time testing to find the optimum setting for longevity, power, durability, EPA restrictions and customer satisfaction. Expecting them to stand behind a modified product is ludacris.

One of the reasons a new truck costs 40K is the amount of money the manufacturer expects to pay to fix a vehicle under the warranty period.
Well stated. One of the reasons our society is dropping rapidly is this annoying fascination...I want just a little bit more...

Quick Reply: Removing Edge before dealer visit???