Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   powerpup downloader questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/powerpup-downloader-questions-76667/)

drew03 08-31-2005 07:48 AM

powerpup downloader questions

i went for a ride with a friend that has a powerstroke(7.3) with a powerpup downloader installed. The truck was pretty quick. He said we went from 15 mpg in town to 20! What does this downloader do different from a module? Has anyone else had these kind of results on a dodge?

bocuso 08-31-2005 08:22 AM

From what I understand, the pup will reprogram your ecm.
A module works after your ecm changing the different parameters.
A programmer will leave a trace code, where as most modules will not if they are not connected to the data port.

drew03 08-31-2005 09:19 AM

does anybody know what the downloader programs do to your fuel pressure? will it reduce injector life like an EZ (turned up)?

bigman 08-31-2005 09:26 AM

The downloader uses very little pressure to achieve its power. Most of it comes from duration and some timing. Much easier on injectors than the ez or other pressure only boxes.

realsquash 08-31-2005 10:11 AM

I believe the difference between the EZ and the BDDL is that the EZ will leave your rail pressure high, even during light throttle cruising. I don't think the BDDL raises up the rail pressure until you lay into it.

Andy

drew03 08-31-2005 03:33 PM

i will probably wait until the warrenty is out to make the switch. It is definately something that i have been considering. I went ahead and turned down my ez to level one(40hp) just to be on the safe side. Anymore information about the bdpup would be greatly appreciated.:D

bigblock2stroke 08-31-2005 08:41 PM

Only problem is that the dealer can tell that the ECM has been reprogrammed. He can't tell by who or what, but it he looked up all the service on your truck and no one had anything in the "system" about a reflash for your ECM, then how did the ECM get reprogrammed. They are not on to this yet, but they are close.

First of all, they have to put 2 and 2 together, so maybe by 2010, they'll have it figured out[laugh]

bigman 08-31-2005 10:29 PM

I think a "dealer" can look for and find about any modification that you do to your truck that has to do with power enhancement. Its whether or not he has a reason to do so. Some dealers are good about that others are really really bad. Roll the dice.

CrashCade 09-01-2005 12:02 AM

From what I heard from my service manager is... The only way that they can tell if you have used a DL'er is if you have had you computer reflashed by the dealer IE... TSB...and they have a service record of the reflash date. Most of the DL'ers use a standard ECM program so if the dates are different then it gives them reason to look further into it. However, there really is no other way for them to tell unless it is just blatantly obvious.

Just my .02

John Rodriguez 09-01-2005 12:54 AM

They also check by # of starts since last reflash, which obviously gets erased when changing programs.

Mark Craig 09-01-2005 09:29 AM

drew03,

We sell lots of the Power Pups, but the 5 MPG increase is maybe a little optomistic! If he is using the overhead console MPG calculator he's not quite accurate as when you re program the stock PCM the MPG calculator is working off of bad info etc. That said we do see MPG increases of 1-3 MPG pretty regular with the Power Pups, consider getting the Outlook monitor too if you don't have gauges as when you add HP you need to add gauges too! Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

SolarRam 09-01-2005 11:30 PM

I have the new BD TriDog DL and the Outlook Monitor and I am sure I am prejudice but I think it is a great pkg. I had it installed with 1300 miles on the truck and have had no codes or irregularities at all. My wife and I agree it is like driving our old 2001 Corvette but larger with 4x4!

bigblock2stroke 09-02-2005 04:43 PM

Like I said.

they would have to put 2 and 2 together.

Not going to happen very often, but.....