3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Power Chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Power Chip

Can any of you give me first hand experience, between Quadzilla, Edge and Bully Dog? Will be doing a power chip upgrade, but have not determined "tow" version vs 100 HP adjustable version. Do not want too much power and do not want to rebuild trans, but want a little power and possibly a little mileage increase.

Can any give personal experience?

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

Ok, i had the Edge EZ first. Nice box but a guy on the street bought it off of me for more than i paid for it. So it is gone but great box to start and wont break anything. Then i won the TS Ramifier on here. Ehhh ok box didnt like my truck really. Sold it. Got the BDDL W/ outlook. Well, outlook didnt change the settings and the DL ran a ton of codes where i had to get a new ECU thankfully the GM at the dealership I go to is a good friend and gave me his numbers to get the work on my truck done. Just ordered a SP Diesel Stage IIe box. Will post results when I get it. Cant tell you on Quad or TST or Edge Juice. Did manage to try the PDA setup with Banks on my PDA. Wasnt happy with the fact that I couldnt use my navagation software on my PDA with the Banks system. And there were too many things that i could mess with on the Banks setup. So returned it within the 30 day trial period. Wouldnt recommend Banks overpriced for the systems with same results.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:38 AM

the xzillerader that quad has is a good box. with the standard you shouldnt have transmision problems and will get great power.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:03 AM

What to do

Originally Posted by scootn
Can any of you give me first hand experience, between Quadzilla, Edge and Bully Dog? Will be doing a power chip upgrade, but have not determined "tow" version vs 100 HP adjustable version. Do not want too much power and do not want to rebuild trans, but want a little power and possibly a little mileage increase.

Can any give personal experience?

Thanks
Scott
Scott,

The problem is your trying to do something for nothing. What? Any of the above listed boxes can and will cause premature problems with other systems on your truck if you do them in a standalone manner without other upgrades. To mention a few,...your tranny,...injectors,...your intercooler.

All of those cost in the neighborhood of $500 so buy a quality valve body and get a little more power to the ground and a little better fuel economy. When you have the $$$ to invest in your truck then a full tranny rebuild will be the best $$$ you will ever spend on your truck. You'll get probably 50more hp to the ground,...power you can feel and you'll have 2 or 3 more mpg's that we all need these days. Some will tell you that you can go to 100hp box upgrade and not change other things. Wrong!! You'll see and it will be too late after a dozen or so hard runs with your new found power and then you'll get to do the tranny b-4 you planned as your overdrive clutches will be slipping. The only box upgrade I've heard of in a couple years on this and other forum that you really don't have to upgrade other systems is the VAC3.1. It is a light pressure box and will give you small but felt increase in power and will help any towing you do plus it will give you a bit more mileage without hurting your truck.

Last edited by OT-OF-Here; 04-09-2006 at 06:04 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 AM

I have ran Edge/Attitude and bullydog on mine. I ran Superchip on my other truck. My brother ran the Edge EZ. I think you could go with any of them and be safe as far as the transmission goes if you stay in the lower settings. My Dad has an 05 with about 50,000 miles and runs the Edge/Attitude and he leaves it on level 5 all the time. But for the most part he drives it normal.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 PM

I had the bullydog trippledog on my 06 for about a week. It had no bottom end power at all(all top end) therefor it is not on my truck anymore. Tried the quad 30-60-100 hp box and love it.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:27 PM

I did allot of reading and ask allot of questions and settled on an Edge EZ. The one thing I did not want to do was flash my CPU. With the Edge it’s a five minute no brainier to install and if you leave it at the factory setting it will not bother your tranny. With my six speed I usually use 2nd, 4th & sixth on flat ground. Now here is the problem, when it starts to come on the power band and your neck snaps back and you see the black smoke from your exhaust its awfully hard to let up to shift. I get a couple more mpg. Towing my enclosed snowmobile trailer at 70 mph I get 14-15 mpg and empty @ 70-75 mph, 20-21 mpg. Before I got 13 towing and @ 68 mph empty 18-20. If you find a Bullydog dealer they can give you a temporary flash that lasts a couple of days so you can try it out. A good friend of mine has a Van Aiken and really likes his. The only reason I didn't get one was I got a good deal on the Edge. If you can find someone that has a box borrow it and give it a try. Like I say its a five minute install, plug & play. The only reason it takes five minutes is because you have to find a bucket to stand on and do it left handed.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 PM

I had the quad 65hp tow box and it is a great box a will have no negative effects on your stock trans. I now have the edge juice/attitude and it is as good if not better plus there is more adjustablity and more power on hand if you want to upgrade you trans.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll second the Edge EZ. Very reliable and simple to install. You can pickup a used EZ pretty cheap like I did.
I run mine at level 2 and pleased with the performance and economy. Works well with the Rokktech crankshaft sensor.

The Quadzilla XZT box is another good one and reasonable priced.

MikeyB
Old 04-09-2006, 12:48 PM

I highly recommend the Quad Std. 30 60 100. Its an all around good purpose
box. And NOBODY BEATS QUAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.......PERIOD!

I don't want a tit for tat with any previous post here, but with all due respect
the true need for future mods to the tranny & other stuff all depend on your style of driving. Its a given here that everyone in performance section runs the crap out of thier trucks....at least thats the feeling I usually get. If you lay on it thru 1/2 the stop signs to work everyday,yeah,your gonna' trash EVERYTHING FROM THE FLYWHEEL BACK "POST HASTE" We won't EVEN start
on drag racing & sled pulling.......

If, on the other hand, you drive in a more or less normal manner and get on it OCASSIONALLY, I think you'll be fine. I like my 100 setting getting on the
interstate. On my auto, i hit the tow/haul button, get into it & as I shift to OD
EASE OFF THE JUICE A LITTLE....dont shift into OD at full throttle..... thats where you start losing your converter.

I know I'm the odd man out here 'cause this IS a PERFORMANCE section. I also respect everyone for running thier trucks as they wish, but I do think common sense will play a major role into what else you need to do. I do think an aftermarket lift pump may be in your future, though.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by marc03
I had the quad 65hp tow box and it is a great box a will have no negative effects on your stock trans. I now have the edge juice/attitude and it is as good if not better plus there is more adjustablity and more power on hand if you want to upgrade you trans.
you did the exact same thing i did .. i replaced my 65 hp box with the juice with attitude and i am VERY happy with my new edge box .. loads of power, no CEL , and oh so smoooooth !! .. i think the 65 hp quad box might be a good stck with the J/A do you want to be a guninue pig ??!! ..
Old 04-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by koogala
I highly recommend the Quad Std. 30 60 100. Its an all around good purpose
box. And NOBODY BEATS QUAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.......PERIOD!

I don't want a tit for tat with any previous post here, but with all due respect
the true need for future mods to the tranny & other stuff all depend on your style of driving. Its a given here that everyone in performance section runs the crap out of thier trucks....at least thats the feeling I usually get. If you lay on it thru 1/2 the stop signs to work everyday,yeah,your gonna' trash EVERYTHING FROM THE FLYWHEEL BACK "POST HASTE" We won't EVEN start
on drag racing & sled pulling.......

If, on the other hand, you drive in a more or less normal manner and get on it OCASSIONALLY, I think you'll be fine. I like my 100 setting getting on the
interstate. On my auto, i hit the tow/haul button, get into it & as I shift to OD
EASE OFF THE JUICE A LITTLE....dont shift into OD at full throttle..... thats where you start losing your converter.

I know I'm the odd man out here 'cause this IS a PERFORMANCE section. I also respect everyone for running thier trucks as they wish, but I do think common sense will play a major role into what else you need to do. I do think an aftermarket lift pump may be in your future, though.
I'm with you. That is why the Bully Dog is not for me. If I was a wide open throttle guy it would be great. If I got the desire for wide open throttle I have better toys for that then this big truck.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rolngthun
......... If I got the desire for wide open throttle I have better toys for that then this big truck.
I hear ya talkin!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Upgrading from the Quad Tow box to Edge?

G'day guys,

I am considering (well ready to buy actually!) the Quad standard box (100hp one).

I am just interested in reading that a couple of members have upgraded from the 65hp Quad box to the Edge/attitude. I was just curious why you upgraded to the Edge instead of to the Quad Standard.

My knowledge is VERY limited in this area, so I'm most likely overlooking the obvious answer.

Any info/advice greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Batts
Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 PM

No increase in rail pressure. Longer fuel system component life ( ie. injectors and pressure relief valve)

Quick Reply: Power Chip