Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Performance/MPG Mods (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/performance-mpg-mods-145970/)

walker 04-11-2007 08:29 AM

Performance/MPG Mods

Well, after spending a fair bit of time reading other peoples opinions, I'm thinking about going with these mods - I think they'll get me the best bang for the buck.

1.) MBRP stainless muffler
2.) AFE Stage II air filter
3.) Diablosport Predator

Whatta you guys think?

I was going to buy the muffler here - not sure who has the best deals on the other two things.

walker 04-12-2007 07:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback...next time I'll ask my wife or cat.[duhhh]

Lrdchaos 04-12-2007 08:29 AM

Go with the s&b intake, lots of people running them and they are half the price....

keller 04-12-2007 08:37 AM

just run no muffler. trust me it not loud.

I still have my cat with a muffler delete. and I CAN NOT HEAR IT IN MY TRUCK. if I want to hear the exhaust I have to roll down my passenger side window and smash the throttle when passing a house or wall.

04ctd 04-12-2007 08:50 AM

i always chime in with the DIY cranksensor, airbox holes.

got a boost fooler on mine, those 3 seem to keep me 17~18mpg

Fisherguy 04-12-2007 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by keller (Post 1456408)
just run no muffler. trust me it not loud.

I still have my cat with a muffler delete. and I CAN NOT HEAR IT IN MY TRUCK. if I want to hear the exhaust I have to roll down my passenger side window and smash the throttle when passing a house or wall.

Had your hearing checked lately? [laugh]
A guy I know did the delete thing, he thought it was cool for a while but eventually decide it was too loud, came over to look at my Nelson muffler...

I second the S&B air cleaners, the AFE's are not worth what they want for them.

RedRacer44 04-12-2007 10:02 AM

As other members have said...you can find cheaper intakes. I personally like my S&B as well...good price and works great. You can get into a Nelson or Donaldson straight-thru muffler much cheaper than the MBRP muffler...dont quote me on that though :)

Lots of people like the Predator...dont think you can go wrong there especially for the price. Lots of people like the Smarty and Triple Dog as well...but more $$$

walker 04-12-2007 10:14 AM

:D Thanks...yea, I really dig the S&B.

For what I'll save, I may just do the Predator stack combo.

Fisherguy 04-12-2007 10:20 AM

Make sure you get some gauges if you get a programmer. you'll be able to watch you fuel pressure drop to ZERO! :o

If you're gonna do the intake, change the muffler to, I put on a 40" Nelson, pics in my galler.

Have fun!
Will

walker 04-12-2007 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy (Post 1456596)
Make sure you get some gauges if you get a programmer. you'll be able to watch you fuel pressure drop to ZERO! :o

If you're gonna do the intake, change the muffler to, I put on a 40" Nelson, pics in my galler.

Have fun!
Will

o.k. will the Nelson muffler be a direct bolt-on replacement? Where did you buy yours?
Guess I'll add some guages and a pod to the list...

Fiftygrit 04-12-2007 10:34 AM

I have the XZT tow box and an AFE drop in filter with the airbox drilled, 06 4x2 373 gears, last highway trip 24mpg on paper at 65mph, best ive ever seen is 25.9 at 60mph, on summer fuel though, this truck from day 1 gets better mpg than my chevy ever did, happy camper here.

04ctd 04-12-2007 01:23 PM

the RPMOUTLET.com store has a muffler delete pipe for $49,
(you need that for the S curve to keep pipe alignment)

and NAPA has a straight thru muffler for $120

with the CAT, that should be nice. saving up $$ to do that to mine.

Fisherguy 04-12-2007 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by walker (Post 1456597)
o.k. will the Nelson muffler be a direct bolt-on replacement? Where did you buy yours?
Guess I'll add some guages and a pod to the list...

GOt my Nelson from a Cummins Store near me, $67 CDN.
You'll need some 4" 45º bends too, they sell those at Cummins too, and clamps. If you have someone who welds it's pretty simple. I put my muffler straight off the tail pipe and put the offsets in front of the muffler down to the pipe behind that cat. I saw a guy with a muffler delete pipe that would work in place of my offsets, but the one at Genos is too far between bends and wouldn't leave room for the muffler.

Gauges for sure if you're gonna add a chip or programmer.

If you have lotsa money, sure, get the best, 5" stainles dual exhaust, AFE etc, but I'm just a workin stiff and gotta worry about best bang for my buck! [coffee]

(b'sides, gotta have money left for my new fishin gear too!) [laugh]

Smithereen 04-14-2007 11:45 AM

Fisherguy, is your exhaust alot louder? Did you have to weld a hanger on the muffler to mount it? It looks like you did in your pic`s. Looking to replace the muffler on mine and I liked your setup.:cool:

qzilla 04-14-2007 12:02 PM

Also take a look at our intakes. They are made of steel and powdercoated. They look good, install very easy and work well. We have had great luck with the green filters as well.

They are very reasonable price wise compared to many others so shop around and you might be suprised!

Also there are some members on here that have had them and reported on them even after sort of abusing the filters everything was still filtering properly!

http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/intake.html