Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   PacBrake question (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/pacbrake-question-128091/)

Cowboy45 12-15-2006 10:47 PM

PacBrake question

Howdy, whats the compressor like that comes with the pacbrake? Is it heavy duty enough to run air bags and/or aux air tank for all purpose air. I still have not bought a compressor kit yet for the bags and thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if I got the pacbrake. I already have a 3 gallon air tank.
Do they tell you the duty rating of the compressor? Any info would be great. Thanks.

morkable 12-16-2006 03:04 AM

I dont have the answer to that either, but that is what I plan on doing. The new pxrb comes with a tank too. I personally dont see why it wouldnt handle that though, with the holding tank.

Kevin

D.Wiggs 12-16-2006 03:16 AM

The PXRB compressor is a BEAST! It runs my PacBrake and my Air Horns (unbelievably well) and will soon run the aux. air bags I am installing since my new suspension will be MUCH softer in the rear!

htgreen3 12-17-2006 05:43 PM

The duty cycle on mine is 20%, it would handle a horn (how long would depend upon your tank) and air bags. The Pacbrake tank is about a gallon in size.

bnold 12-17-2006 05:54 PM

Personally i skipped the pacbrake compressor... I use a vialair 100% duty compressor that I use for my brake and air tools or whatever, works pretty well [guitar] I also haveit plumbed it into a 5gal air tank under my pass fender in front of my rear tire...

D.Wiggs 12-17-2006 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bnold (Post 1256098)
Personally i skipped the pacbrake compressor... I use a vialair 100% duty compressor that I use for my brake and air tools or whatever, works pretty well [guitar] I also haveit plumbed it into a 5gal air tank under my pass fender in front of my rear tire...

How big is the compressor? What does the duty % mean exactly? I am trying to decide if I want to use the Air Horn compressor at all.

dodgezilla04 12-17-2006 08:16 PM

duty cycle means how long(in percentage) can the compressor run at capacity. around 20% is normal

bnold 12-17-2006 10:23 PM

My compressor is probably 12" long by 5 or 6" high and 4" wide... Duty cycle is very important if you plan on running any type of air tool or filling large tires... If just running brake and air horn a 20% would work, but why??? I would rather have more capacity withough worry of overheating, not much cost diff between pac's compressor and a quality viair compressor... Just my .02

D.Wiggs 12-18-2006 01:02 AM

Anyone know the duty cycle % on the PacBrake compressor and what its capacities are in comparison to viair?

Cowboy45 12-18-2006 06:38 PM

I wonder if you can buy the brake with out the compressor so a person can oppt for his own. Thats the thing, I don't want to buy an air bag kit that comes with compressor and then buy the pacbrake that also comes with a compressor. It would be nice to have a Viair to run both.