3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil in intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:35 AM
j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in intercooler

Had my radiator replaced recently and when I picked it up, the shop said there was oil, a lot of it, in the intercooler. He suggested the turbo was going out and mine was one of the worst he had seen. Told me to be careful with it and plan on replacing it soon. Does this sound right?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like the bearings and the seal has gone out. pull the boot on the boot on the intercooler and see how much is there. Does the turbo make any noises when it is spooling?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
careful, you could have a run away engine!
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The advice given you by the shop is accurate.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If it is a reputable mechanic and there is in fact oil film in the intercooler, then your turbo seals ARE shot and, like others have said, it CAN lead to a runaway engine which you will ONLY be able to shut down by CUTTING OFF airflow to the intake manifold.

Infact, cutting off the airflow to a runaway diesel engine is NOT easy, unless you are prepared and packing a decent sized Co2 fire extinguisher. EVen then, it is particularly hard with the engine running at HIGH rpms and the key off because one tends to freak out a little…for example, heres is a youtube sample on a runaway Ford diesel.

Also, be aware that it CAN happen on a moving truck as well and you will feel a surge of uncontrolled acceleration as the engine behinds ti run on oil instead of applied diesel.

The easiest and quickest way to shut it down, once you are safely pulled over and in neutral with the parking brake on, is to use a CO2 fire extinguisher and pop the hood a little, enough to get the extinguisher hose near the air filter intake, then pull the trigger and keep it pulled…the Co2 will displace all the O2 that the engine needs to keep running and the engine will eventually and relatively quickly shut dow.

Sorry, NOT trying to scare you, joust trying to give you there headsup on possibilities and the need to fix your truck BEFORE that happens.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And then there is this runaway on a Duramax where the engine DID eventually stop on its own (must have burned through the oil) but i'll bet the guy walking up to it AFTER it finally quit had to change his pants after (spoiler alert... LOL) the radiator blew out --

PS-- I do recommend keeping the volume down on this vid unless you ALSO want to change your pants after watching the video…LOL, but seriously, just saying !!