3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil

Bought my first diesel 2003 dodge 2500 crew cab long bed 2 wheel drive, has 280000 miles on it! Should I stay with a conventional oil or go to a synthetic oil! And how many ouarts of oil does a 5.9L hold? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Terry Stafford; 07-28-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I am partial to Amsoil Syn 15w-40, its all I have ever used since day one. Mine holds 12qrts.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you see any engines or parts lasting longer from using synthetic? i personally have not, so i dont spend the extra money on synthetic when there are engines out there lasting just as long on non synthetic as synthetic.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CRF450R RIDER
do you see any engines or parts lasting longer from using synthetic? i personally have not, so i dont spend the extra money on synthetic when there are engines out there lasting just as long on non synthetic as synthetic.
Price wise it's not that much difference for me that would make or break the deal. I guess it's personal preference.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
Price wise it's not that much difference for me that would make or break the deal. I guess it's personal preference.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM

There are two reasons for using synthetic oils:

1. High heat. By that I mean temps well above 200* for extended periods of time. Not really that big of a deal in a truck. Oil is heated mostly by rpm's, like 6,000 rpm's lap after lap.

2. Extended drain interval. Based on UOA, my truck can run conventional oil for about 15,000 miles. I change the oil every spring. If you plan on driving more than that in a year, it might be more convenient for you to switch over.

The Cummins uses 12 qts. 3 big jugs. I wait for Valvoline Blue to go on sale at Wally World.

As a side note, there are only 5 true synthetic oils on the market, and none of them are diesel oils.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:24 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am interested to see the link that backs the claim of your "side note" below and the criteria used to make that statement.

Originally Posted by .boB
There are two reasons for using synthetic oils:

1. High heat. By that I mean temps well above 200* for extended periods of time. Not really that big of a deal in a truck. Oil is heated mostly by rpm's, like 6,000 rpm's lap after lap.

2. Extended drain interval. Based on UOA, my truck can run conventional oil for about 15,000 miles. I change the oil every spring. If you plan on driving more than that in a year, it might be more convenient for you to switch over.

The Cummins uses 12 qts. 3 big jugs. I wait for Valvoline Blue to go on sale at Wally World.

As a side note, there are only 5 true synthetic oils on the market, and none of them are diesel oils.
The following users liked this post:
anoldbiker (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I am interested to see the link that backs the claim of your "side note" below and the criteria used to make that statement.
How do you prove a negative?

A true synthetic oil is just that, a synthetic. It's a man made product. A true synthetic start with a man made PAO base stock, and adds their particular additive package.

A semi-synthetic starts with dino oil, and refines it to a point that it (reportedly) performs well enough to be called a "synthetic", even when it's not. And then they add their particular additive package. When push comes to shove, a UOA will prove that they don't perform as well as a true synthetic.

That's not to say that a semi-synthetic is a bad oil. In most cases it's just fine . But it's not a synthetic. If you're paying synthetic prices and expecting synthetic performance, you're getting ripped off.

Do your own research. Find out which oils start with a PAO base stock. Start with your favorite synthetic oil that's in your truck right now.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 PM

I also have read that there are only a handful of true synthetics. Never researched it, but I've seen that statement more then once.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have researched. Quite a bit in fact. To say there exists no true synthetics (based on the correct PAO base stock info below) that are made for diesel is just plain false.

Here's a link to a TDS (technical data sheet) of just one.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/244-9000-td.pdf

Royal Purple is another that makes a full syn Diesel oil...

Redline is yet another...

I really have no interest in what others run- their choice.

But I don't like seeing misinformation being spread.

Originally Posted by .boB
How do you prove a negative?

A true synthetic oil is just that, a synthetic. It's a man made product. A true synthetic start with a man made PAO base stock, and adds their particular additive package.

A semi-synthetic starts with dino oil, and refines it to a point that it (reportedly) performs well enough to be called a "synthetic", even when it's not. And then they add their particular additive package. When push comes to shove, a UOA will prove that they don't perform as well as a true synthetic.

That's not to say that a semi-synthetic is a bad oil. In most cases it's just fine . But it's not a synthetic. If you're paying synthetic prices and expecting synthetic performance, you're getting ripped off.

Do your own research. Find out which oils start with a PAO base stock. Start with your favorite synthetic oil that's in your truck right now.
Originally Posted by CRF450R RIDER
I also have read that there are only a handful of true synthetics. Never researched it, but I've seen that statement more then once.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
I see a few different diesel oils by Amsoil labeled as 100% synthetic as well.
HDD 5W30
AMO 10W40
AME 15W40
ACD 10W30

I believe they have a couple "Euro" synthetic diesel oils as well.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 PM

I stand corrected. I went back through their web sites, and found some diesel rated true synthetic oils. I don't remember finding them when I was looking a few years ago.

I also went looking for any indications that other oils are a true synthetic. I couldn't find any. Some of them appear to have some PAO base stocks mixed in with the dino base stock. But no clue as to how much.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:44 PM

If you read what i wrote, i said I NEVER RESEARCHED IT. i had read a that there are a handful of true synthetics. To add into that statement, i also read that they are not for diesel. Sorry for this "misinformation" that i never claimed was true.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry Stafford
Bought my first diesel 2003 dodge 2500 crew cab long bed 2 wheel drive, has 280000 miles on it! Should I stay with a conventional oil or go to a synthetic oil! And how many ouarts of oil does a 5.9L hold? Thanks for the help!
Terry,

Unless you know the history of your truck and know that the oil was consistently changed, assuming conventional oil was used, I would venture to say to stick with conventional oil. I am a firm believer in synthetic oil, but because of the detergents and other chemicals used to make synthetic oil, if the conventional oil wasn't changed at regular intervals and allowed to sit, it has the potential to dry the seals and leave a wax like residue (that keeps it from leaking). Synthetic oils will naturally strip away that residue leaving the potential to cause a leak, that would then be blamed on the synthetic oil, when it was actually due to poor maintenence and using conventional oil.

Now saying that, these engines are built to last, even if you did run synthetic, there is a good chance there wouldn't be any leaks, and if there were, I would think it would be just the oil pan. If I bought a high mileage truck such as your's, first thing I would do is run engine flush and put in synthetic oil, expecting to do some maintenance afterwards at the next oil change.

I good friend of mine bought a 98 12 valve a few years ago; he's ran AMSOIL Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Synthetic Oil since shortly after he bought it and just had to change the seal on the oil pan....although now that I think about it he may have changed it before he started running the oil...been a few years since I had to think about that.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.