3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Not stock, dead truck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not stock, dead truck!

Hey guys I'm wondering if you may shed some light on something for me. My '03 5.9 died last night and I'm afraid it's not getting fuel. Here is the question. If the PO installed a Holley inline fuel pump would they have had to remove the transfer pump from up at the engine under the filter? I think I saw it in place last night but I was on the side of the road in the dark. Could the aftermarket pump push through the factory unit to provide fuel or would the PO have removed it entirely? I know the Holley is dead, it has power but is locked up...
Kinda makes me want to go back to just stock since the truck only has 94K miles on it. What should I do?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

If the Holley pump isn't going through a secondary filter system, then yes, it is more than likely pushing through the factory canister filter. See if the factory wiring harness is plugged into the stock lift pump. If not, try it and see what happens. Other than that, if you want stock, look at GenosGarage.com as they offer stock LP's for a decent price. Pretty simple replacement.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM

Jhensen you are the man! Thanks a bunch, found one for $160! hopefully I can get it quickly!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Not a problem. Welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger....there are tons of folks here with tons of knowledge.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM

OK since I don't live too far from work I went home for a sandwich and had a few minutes to check things out some. I found that if I disconnect the signal wire to the transfer pump from the relay coil, that powers the Holley inline pump, I HAVE 12VDC! YIPPEE! OK then I should be able to power her up, so I tried and after a little cranking she started up!. Now my question is this, since the factory transfer pump is a vane style pump then that means that the Holley was just "pushing" fuel through it, right? Does that mean that it was always running too? The harness was connected after all. Second, Now that I have removed the power from the Holley will I be able to "pull" enough with the factory pump? I just assume that it may be a vane pump also and will that restriction harm the factory unit? Now I am wondering how much difference there will be in performance with the stock tune vs. when I have her turned up...