3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

No or Hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No or Hard starting

I have learned that I have a 03 Cummins and not a 02.

Big Difference I see, thanks all of you that gave me replies in 2nd Generation Cummins.

Hope I get the same response here.

BigIron70 had a great link on how to test the VP44 injection pump. Hoping some one has one for the New Generation pump to.

Anyway Here is my issue:

Have a 02 2500 4 x 4 Build in 09/02 Which makes it a 03

Truck has p0602 code but has been reflashed. Truck always started with this code being stored, I have just lived with it.
Truck will not start when it is cold or warm. If you spray starting fluid in intake, starts fine and ok the rest of the day. Truck runs great, pulls hard. Only issue is getting it to start. It may take around 5 hours of sitting to bring back the no start condition.

This is what has been done so far
Changed fuel filter
Changed lift pump....to rail....runs 17 PSI when key is cycled
runs for 35 seconds, out put 2 1/8 qt., fuel is clean
Injection pump was replace, and two injectors. Truck ran fine for about a month.
Back to no start. Checked all above again. Same Installed a fuel pressure gauge at injection rail. Pressure low. Installed pressure regulator valve.
Started ok for about a week then back to no start.
Install pressure gauge back on rail. When in specs.

Question what tells the injectors to fire? I know the ECM but what is the ECM looking at? Crank or CAM Sensors? I think the cam sender. If I had one of these bad I would think I would have a P code. If I unplug one and try to start the truck the check engine light will come on and when I read the code it related to what I unplugged.

If I had an injector bleeding down issue I would think the truck would start, but have rough idle? Or white, black smoke, or my oil would be increasing due to fuel leaking past the rings. Why would on leaking down injector not let the truck start? You would think fuel getting to the injection pump, pump increases fuel pressure in rail, may take two start cycles, but I think it would start? When cranking my pressure gauge at the rail reads 1876 pi, truck running it is around 2250 psi.

I have heard of a "Block Off " tool to cap each injector on at a time, But I have not been able to find information on this tool.
Was thinking of buying one steel injector line, cut on and weld it shut.
Any Ideas would be most helpful

I found this tool.Common Rail)
Used to block off common rail to test injectors. ******Caution-Common rail under high pressure******
http://hoeslidiesel.com/store/page13.html
But it looks like does not block off one injector at a time.

The "High Pressure Injection Rail"
How do I determine if I have a bad injection pump.
All the job of the pump is to increase fuel pressure for the injectors to have a burst of spray when they a fire from the ECM. What pressure should I have at the high-pressure rail? At cranking speed? I can hear the Fuel Control Actuator click on start up. Can I read fuel pressure, at the fuel pressure sender, with a voltmeter? Is there a Spec for this? Is there a sender that will keep the injector from firing if the rail does not come up to correct pressure? Should I be able to hear the injector click on cranking? What is the ECM looking for to make the injectors fire? Cam sender signal? Oil Pressure? Injection rail Pressure?
If I had a bad pump why does it run so well once it is started? Is this because of higher pressure being built through the pump when the engine is running? May reading now are 1850 pressure on cranking and 2250 psi at idle.

There has to be a simple way to determine if the pump is bad again.
Thanks Tang
I am trying to learn Cummins
Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all.... you do not have an injection pump. Common rail engines have a lift pump that feeds a two stage high psi pump (cp3). The fuel rail and lines are merely a high psi resivior of fuel to feed the electronic injectors which is where the "injection" event actually takes place (electronic injector). Long crank time would call for doing some fuel return tests as it's obvious that you are not building proper rail psi to allow an injection event which can be monitored using a scan tool that shows setpoint and actual rail psi. The block off tool you refered to can be made from a line that is welded shut. Rather than buy one, get one from the many here who have experinced "cracked" fuel lines. They are an easy source to make these tools.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Injector replace all 6

No issues and it been 2 months , 12000 miles

Thanks

Tang
Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Messed with my 03 for year and half changing filters and lift pump and from mechanic to mechanic. Finally took to real dodge diesel mechanic(not dealership) and took injectors off and tested. 5 were bad. Sent all 6 to don at formula 1 and got all 6 rebuilt with flux 2 nozzles. GREAT ever since
Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM

How long did it take to get your injectors back?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM

Took bout 2 wks
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Not bad! Thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nine out of ten times a hard start on a 555 motor is a high-pressure fuel leak... rebuilt bodies fix it unless crossover tubes are clipped during improper injector R&R - occasionally a worn flare seal on a tube end is the culprit.

ECM won't command injector solenoids until >3Kpsi in rail.