Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   nitrous yes or no (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/nitrous-yes-no-194537/)

jerrywoodie 02-28-2008 08:57 PM

nitrous yes or no

with the mods that i have can i spray any nitrous 35 or 50 shot and be safe

Billm2004 02-28-2008 09:08 PM

I would think so, im spraying a 105 shot with my mods!

jerrywoodie 02-29-2008 10:07 AM

any more info for me guys

WUnderwood 02-29-2008 10:12 AM

I think you need studs first

Billm2004 02-29-2008 11:49 AM

I ran my system without studs a few times and 50 psi boost, never had a problem

idahopower 02-29-2008 12:11 PM

that little you should be allright anymore I would really consider studs. Stock internals will be fine no need to worry about them.

CReed 02-29-2008 02:11 PM

Stud it then I would spray it bullydog is adding lots of timing and then your adding more with nitrous. I wouldnt be considered with boost as much as I would be with cylinder pressures. Then your turbo will be the weak link due to drive pressure if you go with a 100+ shot but with a small shot should be fine imo after you get some head studs. Prevention is alot easier then cleanup, just what ive been told [laugh][laugh].

jwb600 03-01-2008 03:55 PM

I thought of spraying my truck but ive heard so many bad things of dropping valve seats and blowing head gaskets I dont want mass destruction. I just wanted like 100hp shot or so not huge amounts

blwnsmke 06-06-2008 10:29 PM

I too planned on spraying mine in the future but am scared to tear anything up

RunninLean 06-07-2008 12:24 AM

I have been told mild shots 50 to 70 actually help lower EGT's?

matego 06-07-2008 12:32 AM

Yes, N2O does reduce EGT's. When you spray it, its in liquid form. N2O boils off at -129* so its extremely cold when it changes from liquid to gas. Thats why when you spray too much it shuts down your engine. It gets so cold the fuel cant ignite, so no flame. N2O is some pretty good stuff when used correctly. Its like anything else, when abused it will cause damage and therefore gets a bad rap. Start off small and work your way up, it will be alright [guitar]

blwnsmke 06-07-2008 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by matego (Post 2108482)
Yes, N2O does reduce EGT's. When you spray it, its in liquid form. N2O boils off at -129* so its extremely cold when it changes from liquid to gas. Thats why when you spray too much it shuts down your engine. It gets so cold the fuel cant ignite, so no flame. N2O is some pretty good stuff when used correctly. Its like anything else, when abused it will cause damage and therefore gets a bad rap. Start off small and work your way up, it will be alright [guitar]

Well you know your stuff.. Whats a good shot to start at and what size should you start really being careful? Is a 100-125shot dangerous or being risky on a diesel?

drillpipe 06-07-2008 07:08 AM

Go with a 2 stage setup. I researched alot before putting on my truck and a couple of smaller shots close together is WAY easier on parts than 1 big shot. It will only cost a couple hundred more but is well worth it. And watch the drive pressure as has been mentioned.

matego 06-07-2008 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by blwnsmke (Post 2108506)
Well you know your stuff.. Whats a good shot to start at and what size should you start really being careful? Is a 100-125shot dangerous or being risky on a diesel?

Is your sig correct.... stock turbo and injectors? I personally would not run any until at least a turbo is put on. N2O is a oxidizer, its like a bigger turbo in a bottle. The N2O will burn any extra fuel you have from lack of air. With stock injectors I bet you can pretty much burn all of the fuel you have now. It would be a big help to get the turbo lit from a no-boost condition though. Here is where the bigger turbo comes into play, since N2O is like a turbo in a bottle you will be burning all the fuel and you will have a lot more cylinder pressure. All this pressure has to go through the exhaust turbine which is still very small and restrictive. You are cramming all this air into the engine but it cant get out. Something has to give and usually its the head gasket. If you really want to play with N2O go small, like a .049 jet and give it a shot. I bet besides the turbo lighting instantly you will not notice any added power. Those guys that blow black constantly even with the turbo lit are the ones that benefit greatly from N2O.

blwnsmke 06-07-2008 03:52 PM

gotcha.. I plan on doing injectors and turbo soon. Just not sure if I wanna try twins or single