3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

newbie changing head gaskit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie changing head gaskit

Hello still waiting on new Turbo. If it still smokes white I'm going to Chang the head gaskit and Im not shore what I'm getting it to LOL I was told I would have to have the head milled if I pulled it off the block. Is that true? And is there thing I mite need to know about doing this job? And if there's anything I need to look it wile the heads off to find out if IV got a cracked ring?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How mechanically inclined are you? Have you done any king of major engine work before?

We need more info first. Any mods? When does it smoke and how much for how long? Why are you changing the turbo? How many miles? What kind of maintenance?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by A7-98RHELPER
Hello still waiting on new Turbo. If it still smokes white I'm going to Chang the head gaskit and Im not shore what I'm getting it to LOL I was told I would have to have the head milled if I pulled it off the block. Is that true? And is there thing I mite need to know about doing this job? And if there's anything I need to look it wile the heads off to find out if IV got a cracked ring?
Wow! Why are you changing the turbo? And everything else Rockcrawler304 said???????
Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 AM

sry about that.

Its an 06 with 54,000miles ( I know to early for that motor to start having problems) it started smoking two weeks after I got it. (I would be the first to tell ya if I drove it like a stole it... I didn't) it was I white smoke and only it I let it ideal for more than 15 minutes after I took off it would stop done that for a week....... THAN THE REAL TROUBLE STARTED smoke like you wouldn't believe dark blueish. Though it was in injector but some one told me to take the boot off the compressor side of the inter cooler. Oil run out literally so the I determined that most the smoke was coming from a leaking Turbo ( and if a parked looking up hill oil would run out of my tile pipe) but after I fix that I'm still stuck with the white smoke when Its cold and loss of antifreeze?? I work in a stop rebuilding small blocks for race application 450-700 HP I know my way around a torque wrench and miking tools.... so I think I can do anything that needs done I just never worked on a Diesel. And every body I talk to thinks there a Diesel tech so idont know who's right and not?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Wouldn't hurt to try some of that combustion leak detector stuff in the coolant first. White smoke in a diesel can also be caused by low temp combustion, like poor injection pattern, low injection pressure or low compression. Are you building pressure in the cooling system while running, I like to put a pressure tester on it while running if there is no obvious pressure on the cooling system. Shut the engine off while the pressure tester is still on the system and see how long it takes for the pressure to bleed off. Just remember that the pressure tester will not release pressure like the cap will so you will need to watch it carefully.