3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new xrf ball joints and pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new xrf ball joints and pics

so after reading the post about ball joints and finding out about the xfr's ...... i ordered them off ebay for $230 bucks...

got my truck to my buddys shop and got to work

after a quick walk around ...... my buddy tells me that my tie rod end, u-joint and bearing was bad

this was the side i had done from a local shop 5 months ago

so we got to work and he got on the phone for some parts

after getting the bearing out with his DIY puller we got to the ball joints and he points out that they wernt seated all the way.... you can see in one of the pics

got the new ball joints in ....went in perfect and were seated properly....

parts guy showed up with the 2 new wheel bearings and tie rod end.... he had a new u-joint on hand ..... it is a spicer u-joint..... twice the price but i didnt feel like doing it again

got everthing back in with me helping in about 5 hrs -1 hr waiting for the parts guy.........

it should be a good test for them due to me living in upstate NY and living on a dirt road that has about a half mile wash board woop section

anyways sorry for the long post but i wanted to put it up here .....

thanks..... Randy
Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 AM

i couldnt get the pics to upload ...... have to try in the morning ..... something about a tokin missing ????
Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will be needing them soon, and the XRF's are looking pretty good from what I read.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM

Albany, huh? I'm just a tad North in Clifton Park.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 AM

got the pics to upload

the tie rood end is a moog
Attached Thumbnails new xrf ball joints and pics-013.jpg   new xrf ball joints and pics-019.jpg   new xrf ball joints and pics-020.jpg   new xrf ball joints and pics-021.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 AM

I work for shultz construction co. just north of you sur5er

i live in cropseyvill....... about 10 min east of troy

do you ever go to the Kohls on central ave...... it gets quite a bit of people hanging out there over the summer .......lots of ricers ..some rodders.. and trucks the kids like going there and checking out the cars there.

i told my 9 yr old to go around and ask if anyone wanted to race (just kidding)and went in to mac. d's for 2 min and came out to 20 poeple standing around my truck ......... my little guy came running over to me yelling " I GOT SOME PEOPLE TO RACE!!!!" I had to decline of course...... having 4 kids in my tuck and street racing isnt to cool
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM

a few more

thanks again to the guys here ..... saved about $560 bucks just in the ball joints... nothing against carli's gear..... but now i can put it towards my twins build
Attached Thumbnails new xrf ball joints and pics-011.jpg   new xrf ball joints and pics-012.jpg   new xrf ball joints and pics-018.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I've heard XRF makes a good product as well and hard to beat that price. I've also been told that McQuay Norris' Extreme line is also good. For about $90 for each ball joint, that's not terrible. How much did the Spicer u-joint run if you don't mind me asking? I'm doing ball joints on my dad's '06 this weekend and he wants to replace the u-joints while the axles are out.

I must add some defense to the "bad reviews" << (I'll explain in second) about the Carli's... Carli has a great product! For the lifetime warranty you get, the price is right. Just because you've read about one set failing, doesn't mean they're horrible (and I think I know which post you read regarding such a situation). That set failed because of lack of maintenance, aka greasing them regularly. Carli shouldn't have sent him a new set for free....
Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM

jimbo....i think they were around $85 bucks each............ he had cheper ones but i opted for the better ones

there still is a small rattle now and then .....i think its the sway bar rubbers being worn i noticed they had a small gap around the bar when we were working on it
Old 04-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Hey everybody!! New to the forum and I read it everyday!! Lots of good information.

I have a 2005 CTD 3500 2x4...need to replace ball joints again and usually have to get the control arms for the uppers...I have about 247,000 miles on this truck and getting tired of the the joint replacement....I like the XRF'S and contacted them for a price, have to call in....can anyone give me a website or somewhere to purchase these?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Tireclub is a sponsor for this website. Click here and you'll see a code for a $10 coupon on top of that. I just got a set a few days ago, good price and quick/free shipping. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 AM

I have the XRF's on the truck now for about 25K and am quite pleased with them. Still nice and tight and I like the greasable feature.

Jim
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that MOOG tie rod end the new style that fits the AE/AF steering linkage? Are those individual parts finally available?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
Is that MOOG tie rod end the new style that fits the AE/AF steering linkage?
The OP's pics are not the 08.5 and up steering upgrade. That is OE.

Originally Posted by Shorts
Are those individual parts finally available?
Last time I checked (couple months ago), they still weren't offered through the aftermarket.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTD NUT
The OP's pics are not the 08.5 and up steering upgrade. That is OE.

Last time I checked (couple months ago), they still weren't offered through the aftermarket.

Thanks. I couldn't tell from the pic.

And what is all that yellow crusty stuff under there? Road salts? You guys are dirty.

Quick Reply: new xrf ball joints and pics