Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Nerf bars/fender flares (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/nerf-bars-fender-flares-309845/)

mark St Germain 02-01-2013 03:52 PM

Nerf bars/fender flares

Thinking about purchasing both of these items. Don't really want to lay out $400 for set of Bushwackers, anyone buy the lower cost (no-name )off ebay? Wondering if they're junk or not. Reviews from buyers look ok? Also looking for web site with best price on Nerf Bars. Like the black Westin 4" tube type.

Thanks

Nate-03 D 02-02-2013 06:41 PM

I bought my truck with the Westin bars already installed. I had them Line-X'd for the long term/durability. Being as my truck is lifted, having the bars are essential especially in the winters up here.

I bought Prestige Fender Flares, the style w/ the rivets in them. Same look as the Bushwackers but not as expensive. I've had them on for 4 years now and the quality of them is nothing but great.

I'd say go ahead and make the purchase. Especially if you have wider tires. The flares will save your paint and look great.

RyeThomas 02-03-2013 09:31 AM

I am dealing with my 06 having rust due to the previous owner having flares on it. I took them off but I guess the damage was done. I could see a light line in the paint where they rubbed, I buffed it out but it must have caused damage to the clear/paint. Now I have rust bubbles under the paint in the exact arc pattern where the flares rested. I would never put flares on without putting a 3m type clear protective sheet under them. Funny thing is the easiest way for me to fix it, is sand it out, prime it, then cover it with Flares [verymad]. But I can't afford to paint the whole truck or buy a new bed, and the rust is moving fast.

stevendavis 02-05-2013 10:13 AM

I've got bushwackers on mine and like them. You'll need to do a tad of trimming and fitting, but overall I like them. I've got to have them due to my tire size. Or rock chips become an issue. I'm also thinking of adding nuf bars or steps due to the truck hight. Don't know for sure yet.

WildBill79 02-05-2013 10:38 AM

I have the offbrand Bushwacker pocket style flares. They bolted on without any issues and are holding up well.

For steps I have the GoRhino dominator. They are similiar to N-fab. They are pinch weld mounted which I was not thrilled about, but i have not had any issues with them for 5 years.

surfram 02-07-2013 08:28 AM

My Westin stainless nerf bars still look great after 9 years.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...l/in-stock/yes

Roughneckin 02-08-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas (Post 3164506)
I am dealing with my 06 having rust due to the previous owner having flares on it. I took them off but I guess the damage was done. I could see a light line in the paint where they rubbed, I buffed it out but it must have caused damage to the clear/paint. Now I have rust bubbles under the paint in the exact arc pattern where the flares rested. I would never put flares on without putting a 3m type clear protective sheet under them. Funny thing is the easiest way for me to fix it, is sand it out, prime it, then cover it with Flares [verymad]. But I can't afford to paint the whole truck or buy a new bed, and the rust is moving fast.

If I could do it all over again I would not put the flares on. Mine has gone all the way to the metal now and is terrible. If you really want them make sure to follow Ryes advice and put the 3m on first. I have to leave mine on now or get the truck painted cause it has some nasty marks.

turbosmoker 02-19-2013 02:17 PM

another one for Prestige flares. my pocket style flares fit perfect and are holding up very well