3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need more OOMPH for towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need more OOMPH for towing

I recently upgraded to a 12000lb 5th wheel. It really seems to stress my truck on long climbs (6* or more). My truck is bone stock with Edge Insight digital gauges and a PacBrake. I know a Smarty would improve performance. But, I'm afraid of the toll it would take on my transmission. It's a Calif truck. So, I can't remove the cat or any smog stuff. I keep coming back to the Smarty. I have seen some used Smarty Sr. models for sale lately. Can they be configured to produce the same supposedly "safe" tunes that the Jr. provides? With the Smarty tuned for towing, is there extra stress on the trans while towing or is it more because people tend to be more heavy-footed when the engine is perked up? Besides the Smarty (and changing my rear end to 4.10), what else could I do without breaking the bank?
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smarty will work fine. Just has more features than the Jr. Adding more power will create more stress on the transmission. No way around that other than upgrading the transmission. For heavy towing the safe bet is keep the Smarty at power level 1, timing 2 or 3 and torque management at 1 using the latest Revo program.

Also buying used make sure the Smarty is unlocked from the previous vehicle and have a recourse with the seller if not.
The following users liked this post:
bonus (07-14-2019)
Old 08-27-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty Jr. See your PM's
John
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a CA emissions (SO vice HO), live in San Diego and tow a 13,500lb 5th wheel.

I use the Smarty SR on Switch 1 and it makes my lifeless SO up to the task of 6 degree grades. Usually have to downshift to 3rd (it's a stick) on anything bigger than 6 degrees. Without the Smarty I was crawling up 6 degree grades.

If you get one, just load the tune and forget about it, it's great!

I recommend an EGT gauge. I drive by it solely. If it gets around 1350, I downshift and they go right down. FYI, my first clutch went 220K miles and probably half that was towing heavy...just drive conservatively, watch the EGTs and the stock clutch/transmission should be fine.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I put a Smarty Jr. on my 2005 last year, and wish I'd done so many years ago. It pulls so much better than stock. If you drive sanely while towing I don't think you'll hurt the transmission. That said, I do have a double deep transmission pan, and had a BD valve body, since replaced with a Goerend valve body. These valve bodies provide improved line pressures (clutch holding) and better shifting than stock. Regardless of whether you add engine power, you may want to consider at least those mods to the transmission since you're towing that heavy. (My fiver weighs about 10K and I roar up the Grapevine in 3rd gear with throttle to spare).

Also, strongly consider transmission and exhaust temp gauges. I don't let the EGT get above 1,350* and I never shut the engine off until the EGT falls below 400* (measured in the exhaust manifold).

I also added the BD overdrive lockout (only applicable to the '05s) and wired up a torque converter lockup "Mystery Switch." I like the ability to lock the torque converter at lower RPMs/MPH than the ECM chooses. That helps to keep the transmission cooler, and with the EGT gauge I can tell if I'm lugging the engine.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM

You might consider water/ meth injection(you should have a EGT gauge also).
I found the benefits of temp control and power to be wonderful for pulling(14k+)fiver.
I`m with you jumper-well said
Old 12-16-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smarty Jr makes a big difference when towing even on the lowest level. You won't want to go back to stock.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM

One word of warning/caution DO NOT try pulling hills in OD, even though you feel you have the power with the Smarty -Don`t ask me how I know..
Pulled 12k 5er from the Carolinas to Oregon with a TC that would slip under a hard pull. I stayed in Tow- haul and made it while nursing the TC and /2nd gear on some hills.
Replaced the TC with a low stahl billet+ built 48re tranny that was nearly 10 years ago.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SMARTY all the way!!! Get a DEEP pan tranny cover,, increased capacity,, and use LubeGard Dr Tranny-- This stuff is the real DEAL.....
Old 08-23-2019, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
I recently upgraded to a 12000lb 5th wheel. It really seems to stress my truck on long climbs (6* or more). My truck is bone stock with Edge Insight digital gauges and a PacBrake. I know a Smarty would improve performance. But, I'm afraid of the toll it would take on my transmission. It's a Calif truck. So, I can't remove the cat or any smog stuff. I keep coming back to the Smarty. I have seen some used Smarty Sr. models for sale lately. Can they be configured to produce the same supposedly "safe" tunes that the Jr. provides? With the Smarty tuned for towing, is there extra stress on the trans while towing or is it more because people tend to be more heavy-footed when the engine is perked up? Besides the Smarty (and changing my rear end to 4.10), what else could I do without breaking the bank?
I would consider changing to a 4.10 if I were you. I have a 2003 SO with a 47re dually Calif stock truck. My truck has a 4.10. I have two travel trailers that I tow. A 36 ft fifth wheeler that weighs 11850 with cargo and a pull behind 28 ft that weighs 6700.
Having a 4.10 makes towing easier on grades and easier on the tranny. I once had a 2007 2500 HO with a 3.73 that struggled on grades more than the dually. A smarty would help but long term changing to a 4.10 would make you happier. I will mention that your GCWR of truck and trailer is 19000. This is with a automatic. If you have a 47re your input torque is 450 ft pounds of torque. A 48re will be around 530 ft pounds. With my rig I weigh a total of 19700. This is the 5th wheel. Be smart and good luck.

Last edited by hpitt74985; 08-23-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Add more.