3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

At my wits end, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At my wits end, need help

Ok, so I hung an injector open at TS before I ever got even close to the pullin track. Bring it back pull the injs and send them off to Don. he says that were fubared with crap in them, fixes them and send them back ready to go. I put them in and clean everything, put cross tube back in that had edge filters (also sonic cleaned them. Flushed lines and rail many times. Put it all back together and it wont start, then it starts and misses badly then wont start. Smokes like crazy, replace rial pressure sensor and it fires right up, but still kinda rough and alot of extra smoke. I think I will take it out for a spin get in and no go, engine will not rev over 1500rpms, will get there and then just stumble, pop and roll massive clouds of white smoke. Totatly sounds like its firring injs off time.

So after many hours of messing with things I figure out that if I start the truck up I can rev it up fine right to the limiter and revs smooth. Let it come back to an idle and then its back to not goin past 1500 again. Can shut the truck off start it back and it will rev again once. There are no codes out of the ordinary. I have tried a different ECU and all of the major sensors with no success. Right now I am trying to put another harness on it but got to get a recovery file from bob to make it work right with the ecu so wont know if that does anything till tomorrow.

Have 15volts at the ecu main power wires when its revved up, no voltage drop.
Ground checks out good to ecu.

new map sensor
new maf sensor
different ecu
no codes thrown with either
changed rail sensor
changed one of the FCA's

Please someone tell me they have seen this before and steer me in the right direction! I have spent way too many hours on it and about to go insane.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

have you checked the TPS ? it sends the signal from the ECM to all the sensors you mentioned.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

I'm confused. I climbed on your trailer right after you had the injector pulled and the body of the stix was bent. So after you got the injector back from don is when it started running all whacky?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 AM

I assume it was the injector problem that made it quit running, maby it was the eletrical stuff and the injs having trash in them was a coincedence?

I have another APPS here, may try putting it in if this harness doesnt work.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM

New harness made no differance and thats also with a different APPS.

One thing I did notice- when it free revs like it should the rail stays right at 8000ish on the scanner, when it wont rev up it jumps to 15-18kpsi. I tried another rail sensor besides the second one I already tried and no differance. Tried another dual cp3 controller no luck.

One other thing I notice is when I take the rail sensor out the fuel is very airated and bubbly. Not sure if thats normal for a cr or not never paid attention before.

I am very close to losing my mind now.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of scanner are you using?A drb will show command and actual RP simultaneously.I know because I had to check mine at the dealer.If 8k is all your seeing free revving then something is wrong.Should easily go to 15-20k.

Do you have another set of injectors to try?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM

Whos duel kit are you running??
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bad-Duvall
Whos duel kit are you running??
Simular to a Evil Twin kit but I made my own brackets, has benn working fine for a year.

Using a Mac scanner, I can watch duty cycle and pressure on it. Dont remember the duty cycle but do know the pressure is screwy. It is low when it revs fine and more normal when it wont rev up.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Still no fix on this. I am about to yank the injs again but still have my doubts that that is what the problem is.

Whats so wierd is afetr first starting it I can hold it on the rev limiter for as long as I want and it sounds perfect, but the fuel pressure stays right around 9400psi on the scanner and the fca Duty cycle never flinches at 32% and FCA volatge stays right around 1.8-2.0. Now as soon as I let off the throttle and attempt and throttle at all again it will jump the fuel pressure right up to 18kpsi, duty cycle stays at 32% but volatge will jump as high as 3.9v.

Can a cp3 cause this kind of issue? How could injectors cause something like that? I dont know either but its the only thing I havnt changed!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

You said the fuel looked bubbly... right? Here when we think there is an issue like that we run some hoses into a clean 5gal bucket of fuel. Suction and return and with the return hose submerged you can see any air bubbles. Its worth a shot before you yank your injectors. The CP3's will pull enough fuel without a lift pump to do the test.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy Cow. I thought this thing would be burning down the dyno and track by now........

Do you have the rail capped? Connector tubes are new or? 9400 psi is low.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Don M
Holy Cow. I thought this thing would be burning down the dyno and track by now........

Do you have the rail capped? Connector tubes are new or? 9400 psi is low.
Its about to be burning down but it wont be any dynos or tracks......

No rail pop off

Put in 6.7 tubes when I reinstalled the injs, sonic cleaned them first. Thought maby that was a problem so I put in clean 5.9 tubes and no change.

I know 9500 is low but why does it rev fine at low pressure and not rev at all with high pressure, this is the key to all of my insanity but I cant seem to get it unlocked.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM

I just read your signature. That is totally awesome, an 02 F350/Ford manual trans/05 Cummins. I looked in your gallery, no photos. Good luck with your problem, I am sure you will figure it out. Where can i see photos of this bad-boy?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

If your duals act anything like mine.... high pressure makes the truck fall all over itself. I can only run 12psi. Any more than maybe 15psi and the truck runs bad.... really bad.

What LP do you have and what psi are you trying to run to the pumps ?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by jmccart
I just read your signature. That is totally awesome, an 02 F350/Ford manual trans/05 Cummins. I looked in your gallery, no photos. Good luck with your problem, I am sure you will figure it out. Where can i see photos of this bad-boy?
I have been slackin with pics, here is a vid form last year with my clutch in its death throws. Truck looks differnet now and have stepped it up a notch under teh hood as well if I can just get it to run. http://video.competitiondiesel.com/s...9d00c731b6.htm

I am running a Magnafuel pump, its at 60psi but I have run over 100 with no issues in the past, 60 is as low as my regulator will go I will have to get a different bypass reg to get down lower.

Quick Reply: At my wits end, need help