Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Muffler/exhaust Questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/muffler-exhaust-questions-223202/)

RSOPNCO1 11-13-2008 09:37 AM

Muffler/exhaust Options

Thinking about changing the exhaust on the truck. Want a better sound but nothing loud. Also thinking that more flow less back pressure on motor and better sound form motor. What are the best options for me and where in the world can i hear them before i buy. would like to do just the muffler replacement honestly.Sound clips are hard to come by.

soulezoo 11-13-2008 10:08 AM

Don't know how to help with the sound clips, but generally, 5" systems have a deeper, more throaty tone than 4". Loudness will depend on the muffler used. It was a big difference for me going from stock to a 5" MBRP and am very happy with the result.

DUKCALN 11-13-2008 10:11 AM

You tube search cummins exhaust clips. You are pretty stock so I would say a good 4" cat back. Aero are good mufflers, magnaflow and flo-pro also. Add a 5" tip and I think you will like it

leftturn7m 11-13-2008 01:11 PM

Here you go....

http://www.justdieseltrucks.com/Sounds.asp

CoolumConst 11-13-2008 03:03 PM

What effect do twins have on the exhaust sound. Do you still need a muffler with twins.

soulezoo 11-13-2008 03:05 PM

Twins have the effect of quieting everything down some... not enough to go staright pipe if you don't like the drone or extra noise.

Fisherguy 11-13-2008 05:45 PM

Unless you're making some big numbers for HP (as in over 600) you're wasting your money on a complete system, just change the muffler or use a delte pipe if you want it loud, there's nothing wrong with the stock 4" system.

jetski428 11-13-2008 09:56 PM

I just put the MBRP 4" turbo back Installer series on with the 5" tip great sound NO drone wife even likes it and it only wake the neighbors if i try! the only draw back is i push the go pedal more just to hear it! [laugh][laugh] bought it from Harry at peak diesel good price and friendly service.

Fisherguy 11-13-2008 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jetski428 (Post 2279196)
.. bought it from Harry at peak diesel good price and friendly service.

Yup, got my clutch there...

Matt S 11-14-2008 09:51 PM

I bought a Silverline 5". It's definitely louder than stock. It has a nice deep tone but it's loud when you get on it.

snoyes 11-14-2008 10:10 PM

I have a complete 5 inch turbo back exhaust with a muffler. I get a small drone right at 60-65 MPH on the highway (even with a muffler and 5 inch high flow cat), and some say you can lose a little power off the line with the bigger exhaust. Does sound awesome driving around, wife said all the ladies in the store I dropped her off at looked out the window when I drove by. How cool is that! And won tons of cool points with the big exhaust... Looks awesome!! Not needed for the performance level of my truck though.

jiggerman78 11-15-2008 02:01 AM

I have a Donaldson 42" and it has a little deeper sound to it. Barely noticable at idle but above 2100rpms you can hear it and feel it, but its not to loud. i can actually hear the engine noise more than the exhuast but can hear the difference between three different sections of my truck(Engine,Muffler,Tip).

mpracehemi 11-15-2008 04:37 AM

I liked my tb 5'' I bought off ebay, then I went and bought a black stack off ebay and installed that. With what I have now, it has a nice mean tone!!

I did not notice any loss of power from a stop. I did notice a diff. in lower egt's.

CD in NM 11-15-2008 09:38 AM

I installed a ME pipe, sounds just fine, not too loud nor raspy. The stock 4" exhaust system is more than adequate to handle exhause needs, the CAT only has about 1/2 lb back pressure, not enough to make a difference, so I left it, plus, it has to be there or your 100K engine warranty is toast. I immediately saw lower EGT's.

CD

XXLTEXAN 11-15-2008 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy (Post 2278806)
Unless you're making some big numbers for HP (as in over 600) you're wasting your money on a complete system, just change the muffler or use a delte pipe if you want it loud, there's nothing wrong with the stock 4" system.

Ditto...you have a better platform with you 06' than some of the older trucks. Gut your cat and put on a quality muffler and buy an intake with the savings:cool: Oh yeah...loose you silencer ring for some real sound[coffee]