Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Monitoring Boost on a stock truck. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/monitoring-boost-stock-truck-117579/)

jka 09-24-2006 10:08 AM

Monitoring Boost on a stock truck.

If my truck will never be chipped do I really need to watch boost levels?

I tow a FW and understand keeping an eye on Trans. Temp. and EGT's but the boost thing isn't sinking in. If the wastegate is controled by the computer to open around 30 lbs. (is that right) shouldn't everthing be okay.

Please explain....[dummy]

whitebuffalo 09-24-2006 10:45 AM

i have boost and egt on my stock truck. i use it mainly just to help monitor how hard the truck is working, and in the future, to help troubleshoot potential problems. the more i can keep track of what my engine is doing, the better i feel

CD in NM 09-24-2006 01:20 PM

I have a stock truck also. I have installed a boost gauge for all the same reasons whitebuffalo discusses. One of the first 'loss of power' things has to do with boost - loose/leaking intercooler hoses or blown/cracked/worn out intercooler hoses, and the list goes on . .

Better to know how your truck is running than to assume all is OK until something big goes wrong.

CD

N.Johnson 09-24-2006 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jka (Post 1140589)
If my truck will never be chipped do I really need to watch boost levels?

I tow a FW and understand keeping an eye on Trans. Temp. and EGT's but the boost thing isn't sinking in. If the wastegate is controled by the computer to open around 30 lbs. (is that right) shouldn't everthing be okay.

Please explain....[dummy]

Your truck is a 2003 so the max boost you will see stock is 24-25 psi. Your wastegate is mechanical for that year engine also. Another great use of the boost gauge is economy. Lower boost numbers equal less fuel injected and higher mpg.

acook 09-24-2006 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson (Post 1140839)
Your truck is a 2003 so the max boost you will see stock is 24-25 psi. Your wastegate is mechanical for that year engine also. Another great use of the boost gauge is economy. Lower boost numbers equal less fuel injected and higher mpg.

I thought my right foot monitored economy?

jka 09-24-2006 07:56 PM

Still trying to understand......

When rpm's go up engine produces more exhaust therefore turbo spins faster and boost increases....right or wrong?

When towing and you climb a hill with the TC locked boost increases because more fuel is being used to maintain speed...... Therefore more exhaust produced spins turbo faster...right or wrong?

Am I close on the concept?

I'll get it sooner or later.

NB64 09-24-2006 08:05 PM

Your truck seems to be stock. With a stock setup you really don't need to add the gauges. I did however. The egts did get up there on some hill climds, but the engine started defueling. The boost is nothing to worry about. They are preset and will not climber higher unless you modify something. That said it is fun to watch the gauges.

whitebuffalo 09-24-2006 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jka (Post 1141133)
Still trying to understand......

When rpm's go up engine produces more exhaust therefore turbo spins faster and boost increases....right or wrong?

When towing and you climb a hill with the TC locked boost increases because more fuel is being used to maintain speed...... Therefore more exhaust produced spins turbo faster...right or wrong?

Am I close on the concept?

I'll get it sooner or later.

sort of....except....you wont bildboost without a load. in neutral....rev as high as you want, no boost becasue there is no resistance on the engine. i odnt build any boost to speak of until 3rd gear. your boost would likely increase when u hit lockup, becasue the engine is turning a litle less and workin a little harder.

someone else im sure can explain it beter than me [duhhh]

973604x4 09-24-2006 10:58 PM

so why is it fords can build boost while revving in park?

nice jerry jeff quote there whitebuffalo. i am a fan. good song.

BlueDually 09-24-2006 11:13 PM

I can build 5-6 psi in nuetral, 2500 rpm

whitebuffalo 09-25-2006 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4 (Post 1141338)
so why is it fords can build boost while revving in park?

i have no clue. maybe something with the variable geometryturbo?

nice jerry jeff quote there whitebuffalo. i am a fan. good song.
hahaha. thanks, that song is great. def my fav JJW tune. my GF always gets upset because of my "unscheduled scenery detours" when we're out wandering around. not so much upset at being geographically non-locatable...but the fact that i refuse to stop and ask. LOL

I can build 5-6 psi in nuetral, 2500 rpm
could you when you were in stock form? i cant get mine to do it even if i try to power brake it (just tried for you know whats and giggles one time.....)

973604x4 09-25-2006 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=whitebuffalo;1141402]i have no clue. maybe something with the variable geometryturbo?
[QUOTE]

don't believe so, the old ones do it too.

I can't figure it out either, i know our trucks have to have a load to build boost but can't figure out the dang fords.

i build 0 boost revving in neutral or park.