3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MBRP resonator

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MBRP resonator

I just ordered my cat back system. After reading all the post's about the MBRP muff's, I'm really worried that it may be too loud, especially with the off road pipe. My problem is I'm really **** about loud noise's. I hate them.

So,,,,has anyone tried the resonator. Would it cause any restriction's,,, kinda like defeating the purpose. Thank's for any input.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you keep the kitty it will not be loud at all. At least my 04.5 isn't!!! In the cab, it's not much louder than stock!!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:30 PM

Off road pipe.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 PM

dont get my other thread wrong...it not obnoxiously loud...it IS louder than stock, but not unbearable...Its the tone of the exhaust...just cant get used to it
Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
dont get my other thread wrong...it not obnoxiously loud...it IS louder than stock, but not unbearable...Its the tone of the exhaust...just cant get used to it
What, you think I was talking about you. Actually I was. But like I said, I really hate loud noise's, and I'm really worried. I think I'll order the resonator just to have incase I don't like it. Have you tried it yet?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:55 PM

No res yet....Working on the intake now...That and when I get the rhino sprayed will have an effect I'm sure...I think the tone is related more to the tip than the muffler....18" 5"er welded to the 4"...Chopped about a foot off of the factory tailpipe...Its kinda like a megaphone The tone of the stock muffler changed when I added the tip....Now with this muffler, it BOOMS

I gotta say that it seems quieter now a few days later...Maybe soot build-up changes it...Plus, I havent gotten it really hot since I installed it...Gonna give it some time, then if still not satisifed I'll experiment with a few things such as header wrap, new tip, etc...

Your bed is 2 feet longer than mine too...That will make a difference....I have to say the thing sounds awesome coming down the street...I pulled in the drive last night and the wife thought it was thunder

Gotta mak up my mind on the intake side I refuse to use an oiled filter, trying to figure out a good bhaf set-up
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM

Where are you in IL??
Old 11-18-2005, 11:06 PM

Here's a question....Would gutting the cat act the same as a resonator?? A res is just an expansion chamber, basically...Hollow the cat and you have a free res??

Or am I completely off my rocker here?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
Here's a question....Would gutting the cat act the same as a resonator?? A res is just an expansion chamber, basically...Hollow the cat and you have a free res??

Or am I completely off my rocker here?
I asked the guy at dielselmanor.com the same thing. He said alot of people have tried that and it sounded like crap. But who know's.

I'm from Granite City.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:11 AM

My problem is I'm really **** about loud noise's. I hate them.
Not to be an A-hole but its sounds like diesel is not for you.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Deezle98
Why, just because I don't want a loud muffler viberating my teeth. I'm not building a sled puller or a drag truck. I use my truck for work and just want a little more performance.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Deezle98
this from a high school kid ...Who doesnt even have a truck
I do not have a cummins myself, my freind (who is also 16), his mom has a 92 2500 auto.

I dug up Hoss' old thread last night....He said he thought it sounded like an overgrown ricer...I'd say thats accurate...I lent it more to a bucket on the pipe...My sounds come from the back end, not from under the truck...therefore I think it is due to the huge tip I welded on...I wanted a turndown but couldnt find one for less than $80 So I have what I have

I think you will be OK with this muffler, especially if you use the resonator.....I know the muffler opened up the engine...It runs quiter and smoother, and sure seems a little peppier...I left the cat (for now) With a whole 1028 miles on this truck, my last tank got 13.7mpg on the overhead (pre muffler install), mostly in-town....Gonna get the intake side done, hoping that will get me to 15mpg...Gonna try to load her up and help the break-in...I have a long way to go to get 20mpg, but that's my goal for now
Old 11-19-2005, 04:17 PM

When I installed my turbo back I was concerned about the noise also. After I got it all hooked up and fired the beast the sound was deafening and I thought "what have I done". Then I closed the passenger door and backed it out of the shop and felt a lot better. I don't think it is any louder than the stock.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

Bad Ramer Jamer,

Just intall the muffler 1st, see what you think. The install the test pipe, see what youy think! Do NOT gut the cat, waaaaay too expensive a piece to ruin etc. We have sold over 450 of the MBRP Performance replacement mufflers and probably more of the test pipes than that and the few folks that think it's too loud are far and few between. Try doing it liek I mentioned and you'll see the different stages and make up your own mind as everybodies different as to what is loud and what isn't!

Mark @ DPPI
Old 11-19-2005, 10:20 PM

I have the MBRP and the "off road pipe " It IS way louder outside of the truck, but surprisingly not so loud inside the truck. On the hwy, theres not much difference. The only time I really notice it being significantly louder is when it shifts into OD and I stay around the 50 mph mark. If you drive in the 1300 rpm range it will drone. I like that though. If you hate loud noises then opening up the exhaust is probably the wrong thing to do in your quest for more power. It won't make much difference anyway. I'd consider something else in the aftermarket world.

Quick Reply: MBRP resonator