3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Stacking Programmers....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacking Programmers....

Hey what's going on everyone, first off, just wanted to say Merry Christmas!! As you can see in my signature, I have an early '04 with a tst programmer. I love the tst, but I am curious about stacking another programmer with it. Can anyone shed a little light on this for me? The tst is a piggyback, so would it be best to stack something like a Smarty with it, where you are downloading information to the ecm? Will I get better fuel mileage by doing this? I am not overally concerned about fuel mileage because I do not drive the truck everyday, but I still would like to keep it where I am not. I hear that a lot of people choose Smarty over TST, but I personally have not had any problems from my tst. I also really like having the turbo timer on my truck!! Appreciate any info, Dave.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:49 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dave,
First, the semantics and nomenclature are important to get a good answer. The tst is a "box" or "module" roughly defined as an electronic unit that intercepts and reprocesses the engines ECM signal to get performance. A "programmer" or "downloader", like a Smarty or Diablosport actually rewrites the engines ECM. See here for explanation:http://www.nwbombers.com/membersites...ox_summary.htm

You cannot "stack" two programmers. Only one can write to the ecm at a time. You can stack a module with a programmer though... advised only when the use dissimilar ways of making power. For instance, a Smarty downloader that uses duration and timing with a pressure box like MP-8.
FWIW: TST + Smarty makes a great stack. After you stack though, be careful to start "small" and work your way up... not wise to download smarty sw9 and put tst on 9x9!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 AM

like stated above the tst is a fueling box. the smarty is a downloader or programmer. these can be stacked together for sure. just make sure you either turn the timing off on the tst or the smarty either one. you dont need to run timing on both of them it will be too much. I would get a smarty and put on like 4 to start or a level with no timing and run your tst on a lower level and see what you think. I bet you will be very impressed by stacking the 2 together. I think the tst works best when its stacked with something else
Old 12-24-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I will definetely look into doing something like this!