3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Little Diagnosis Help please

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Little Diagnosis Help please

Went to the track for the first time...did some boosted launches (10psi)...noticing a few wierd things...wanted your opinions on where to start looking as i dont have a mechanic i know / trust in the Phoenix Area.

Pulling up to a stop:
- Intermitant Noise (light howling / sounds like a pump noise but not the
fuel pump)...sorry, deaf out of one ear, hard to explain noises.
- Intermitant Rattle / Vibration
- Both stop when i put the truck in neutral

Driving:
- When using throttle, driveline vibration
- When i let off, vibration goes away
- It's more pronounced that the normal motor vibration....

Guages all read normal at all speads: EGT's, FP, Trans Temp, Boost (although i havent tried max boost)...

Any thoughts / help appreciated.....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 PM

without hearing/feeling myself it sounds like possibly a U joint.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the first thing that came to my mind: U joints
Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 PM

Thanks guys, i'll get a ujoint / motor mount check...and go from there....do they sell better aftermarket ujoints or do people just replace them frequently (30k on truck and i'm not hard on it...3 track runs being the exception)
Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've had good luck with the Napa joints, when mine goes I will be doing that. Check your carrier bearing while youre under there.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 AM

Not sayin theres not anything wrong but if its your 1st time to the track and all this stuff just now started to happen Id be willin to bet that they were all there before and now that you beat on your truck a little you are payin more attion to the stuff.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bad-Duvall
Not sayin theres not anything wrong but if its your 1st time to the track and all this stuff just now started to happen Id be willin to bet that they were all there before and now that you beat on your truck a little you are payin more attion to the stuff.
Agree to a certain point, but if it was there earlier, it's much more pronounced than it was before....

Making payments (4 yr loan) on a $40+k truck that you need to get to work will tend to do that to you! :-)

Just need to win the lotto so i can go t othe track every weekend!...i don't need help, i just need more credit! (Line from woody on Cheers)

Thanks guys
Old 11-15-2008, 04:11 PM

OK guys, any other thoughts?

Verified U-Joints, Carrier Bearing, Motor Mounts, Suspension - all good to go

Havent seen the vibration or noise come back...but my trans is still off...with my current smarty settings (used for past 6 months)...it used to shift 1-2-3 at 2-2.1k rpm (normal to light throttle)...it's now shifting at 1.7k rpm, and the 2-3-2 hang is back (one of the reasons i stuck with my current settings is that it eliminated it)...so now i'm guessing either a trans problem or the motor is down on power....

I cleaned the air filter and changed fuel filter (just to eliminate variables)...

Guess i'm going to take it to a diesel shop....what should i have them test / look for?

Guessing the below:

Transmission Test - do i just ask for a pressure test, or do i have them drop it and inspect? What makes the most sense?

In case there's a motor issue
Turbo Shaft Play
Injector Test
Rail Pressure Test (but i'm hitting 2433 max...which is norm for my smarty
setting)

What else should i have them check?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 04:58 PM

How did you decide that the u joints are ok? I was under my truck three different times with the load off the truck suspecting it was a u joint and although it did not appear to be, I finally decided that it had to be and so I pulled the shaft. The rear joint was trashed bad, but had wedged itself in such a way and is so big on these trucks that I could get no play in it on inspection. U joints are cheap and will need replaced at some point anyway. It might not hurt to do it now and just eliminate that as a possibility.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May be a cracked flex plate may explain the noise and vibration, Boosted launches do not bode well for long life.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
How did you decide that the u joints are ok? I was under my truck three different times with the load off the truck suspecting it was a u joint and although it did not appear to be, I finally decided that it had to be and so I pulled the shaft. The rear joint was trashed bad, but had wedged itself in such a way and is so big on these trucks that I could get no play in it on inspection. U joints are cheap and will need replaced at some point anyway. It might not hurt to do it now and just eliminate that as a possibility.
I paid a shop to do the inspection...was assuming they know what they're doing as they did a quality job on installing my susp system....i have 38k on the clock...they are cheap, so i'll give them a swap...
Old 11-15-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
May be a cracked flex plate may explain the noise and vibration, Boosted launches do not bode well for long life.
I do have a billet fp, so hoping it didnt crack off 3 10psi launches...otherwise i got ripped off!

But that is something i'll have them look at.