3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Just toasted 3rd Walbro LP, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just toasted 3rd Walbro LP, now what?

I just taosted my 3rd Walbro LP in my Glacier 392 LP upgrade with the big line kit. I am sick of this and wanting to know what there is more reliable to upgrade to? What suggestions do you have and how good of success have you had with other brands?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with a FASS or Airdog both great pumps or if you dont want the extra filters go with a raptor.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:39 PM

honestly when I had the glacier system if thats what you are referring to it worked really well. I took it off to get an airdog with filters. at least with richard he used to sell partsto fix what went wrong. I havent talked to him in a long time but maybe he will make it right with you?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM

airdog seems to worked great for me and rock solid customer serv.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find that extremely unusual to have 3 walbro failures. You never hear about them here! Mine has been on my truck for 3 years and 70+K miles and works awesome.

If you had one failure, I could understand. But 3???? Is it possible it was hooked up wrong and causing it to burn up or something? Do you have a pre-filter before the fuel goes through the Walbro?

I think the Walbro with a 2 micron filter kit before the cp3 is an awesome combo. I have been considering buying a second walbro pump to keep under the rear seat only as insurance. But my fp gauge reads 19 psi everyday.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 PM

I toasted about 3 walbros in a month & a half turned out to be my aftermarket locking gas cap did not ventilate & as a result fried the pumps.........
Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Usually, the the common denominator in Walbro failure is debris in the fuel. A filter (or strainer) on the suction side usually prevents this... Never heard of a locking fuel cap causing failure, but I imagine anything that causes any pump to run dry could lead to failure.

To the OP, the Walbros (All Gerotor pumps, for that matter) like to have fuel at their suction side. Gravity feed is plenty, and preferably close to the tank. IDK the details of your install,and I would hate for you to switch to a different system only to find some problem with the supply side of your truck.
That could be an expensive lesson.

I wish you luck whichever direction you choose to take.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM

I lost my first that came in the kit with 25,000 on it if I remember correctly. I now have almost that on this one. I also have one under the rear seat with lines on it already for a quick replacment if needed.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by RonP
I lost my first that came in the kit with 25,000 on it if I remember correctly. I now have almost that on this one. I also have one under the rear seat with lines on it already for a quick replacment if needed.
Yeah, I carry a spare as well. $100.00 is pretty cheap insurance. Would hate to be on the side of the road needing a spare Air Dog or FASS, due to the cost.

OFF TOPIC: From a Navy Veteran, Thank You for serving! :American Flag: <--- No smiley on this board for that...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 AM

Doesn't sound right!

Those little pumps are rock solid. I think you have a filter problem (is it mounted between the tank and your pump???), or you have something loose in your tank from the big line kit install and it is blocking the pickup tube long enough to cook the Walbro.

Walbro is not junk. You have something wrong on your truck and if you don't find it you'll just burn up the more expensive LP you go to next.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:02 AM

I have a Fleetguard itti bitti inline fuel filter on mine... Richard recommended it, so far I haven't had any problems in 2 years, knock on wood...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a walbro for a very ling time... it was a terrific little pump. No problems at all. I switched it out for a FASS 200... (needed more fuel than the little pump could give)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 PM

i have a fuel boss like it a lot and will never have to worry about not having enough fuel! opie is making some more mitusas at the beginning of the year if i could have waited that is the route i would have gone. but airdog's and fass's are also good get at least the ad 150 or fass 150 i wouldnt get the 100's
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Folks things do just go bad. I have plenty of filtering before and after the pump and mine went bad. Just quit, I would bet any amount of money it had nothing to do with dirt or anything else.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 PM

All my FASS units have been very good. Airdog is cheaper though and is pretty much the same just a bit quieter which is good. Mechanical pumps are the ticket if you don't run a Fluidampr...

Quick Reply: Just toasted 3rd Walbro LP, now what?