3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Installed A Garret Stage 3 Ball-Bearing Turbo

Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Installed A Garret Stage 3 Ball-Bearing Turbo

Last week I finally had my Garret Stage 3 installed.

I tried to do it myself, but ran into issues - with what I thought was a clocking problem (because the housings were removed to ceramic coat them). So I put the stock one back on - took me until 5 in the morning. Ugh.

Took it to Steve's Diesel in Edmonton...and no matter which way he clocked it, the piping (coolant & oil) would not fit. Looking closer at the installation instructions:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ions-Rev_A.pdf

...the photos are a mix of s generation 2 and generation 3 ram. One appears to have the T3 flange angled out at 45-90 deg, and of course the generation 3 has the flange pointed straight down.

To make a long story short, he cut some pipes, used a formed hose...and got it to work. Maybe I was sent a 2nd generation kit instead of a 3rd.

Even though I haven't upgraded my fuel system (bigger injectors & pump) to tap the power of this turbo, I have to say I'm mightily impressed. I was nervous that I would have a lot of turbo lag - especially looking at the difference in exhaust housing size.

But you can tell it spins more freely - it continues to be heard after the truck is shut off...for about 15 seconds. And when letting off the accelerator, it doesn't drop to 0 PSI - stays at +1 PSI for some time.

For spool, the truck feels the same or maybe even a bit better than a stock, any black smoke is gone - other than the first puff of the start of a quick accelleration.

My stock turbo was at 10 PSI cruising down the highway at ~110 KMH. The Garrett is only at 5 PSI - with all the power and then some....with a cool whistle to boot.

As for fuel economy...that's hugely improved. When towing a 7000 lb trailer around the city I'd get 500 miles to a tank (I have a larger tank). Now it's increased to 600 miles. Spending $20,000 on diesel a year for my business - the increase in fuel economy will have my money back in about a year.

But I do have one issue left: My truck keeps tripping a low boost code every once in a while. I added a BD boost fooler...but still, the issue persists. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Installed A Garret Stage 3 Ball-Bearing Turbo-comparison-1.jpg   Installed A Garret Stage 3 Ball-Bearing Turbo-comparison-2.jpg  
Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
My truck keeps tripping a low boost code every once in a while. I added a BD boost fooler...but still, the issue persists. Any ideas?
The boost fooler only helps with over boost conditions, an under boost condition is a different animal. Since the ECU monitors low boost also thats where the more efficient turbos cause problems. Not sure there is a fix for that.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:28 PM

At what pressure does the low boost sensor trip? Just wondering if you're actually seeing a vacuum condition.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Lower boost at cruising speed means better fuel economy right? Also congrats on the new setup.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 PM

code: P0299 turbo/super charger underboost
- happens mostly at idle.

I think the fuel efficiency comes from a few aspects of the turbo: it's a ball bearing design so it spools easier, it has a large turbine housing so it's freer flowing, and it flows more cool dense air at lower pressure, giving a better air fuel ratio.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 PM

Where did you get the turbo from?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 PM

www.midatlanticturbos.com
Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats! I love my Stage 2!

Does mid-atlantic modify the Stage 2, or is it straight out of the box?

It's odd that you get a underboost code at idle, I thought they only happened at higher rpms. There isn't much you can do about an underboost code, the Stage 3 (if not modifed) has a .99 a/r turbine housing and is going to be a bit slower to spool.

My stage 2 has the same turbine wheel, but a smaller .89 a/r housing and the smaller comp wheel.. I have yet to see an underboost code, even up to 8800 feet where spool was a little slow.

The instructions did lack a little in accurate photos, but I had no issues with alignment on mine.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Thanks Edmonton
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 AM

It was a stage 3 right out of the Garrett box...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM

I would guess thats why you get an underboost code.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Odd. I installed my EGT probe this morning. Instead of cooler temps they appear to be 200 deg higher. 1100 F towing 7000 lbs on flat highway at 65 MPH.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Honestly I am not surprised at all. When I was shopping for a Garrett I talked with Tom at Turbo Resource. He would not have sold me a straight out of the box Stage 3, the .99 a/r housing takes too long to spool and can cause some surging on the compressor side. He puts the stage 2 .89 housing on it, but still does not recommend it for towing. At low-mid load the turbo just won't spool enough to keep the EGT's down, but once you hit a hill it will do a great job.

The Stage 3 is a race/DD turbo, the Stage 2 is the tow turbo, or a modified Stage 3 if you really want the bigger comp wheel.

I see the same to about 50° higher temps while cruising in 5th and 6th, but when the hill comes I see the benefit. I also have manifold blankets which may increase the measured EGT's at partial throttle.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM

It's weird, I don't notice any lesser spool than stock - in fact, it's better, noticably so. The truck feels more "solid" in it's power. You can tell that there's a lot of room to grow - pushing 15 PSI feels the same as pushing 25.

In terms of towing, one question I've always wondered is: what IS towing? I mean, I can tow at 1500 lb empty trailer, a 7000 lb loaded one or a big monstrous vacation trailer. All very different. And then add to that mountainous hills.

So my towing I would say is light: 7000 lbs max, hardly much of a hill around these parts. So do I have to beware all the "do not tow" on this program or with this setup"? I guess I just keep my eyes on the EGTs...but then where would one say is that "towing" all the warnings are about?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM

There is more to towing than just weight, and while 7K lbs isn't HEAVY it's not light either. My 6K lb TT tows harder on flat ground than a 15K lb dump trailer becuase of the wind resistance.

It's slow acceleration spool that you have to consider, no WOT spool. You went from a .6ish a/r housing to a .99 a/r housing.. even with the BB center it takes some airflow to spool that sucker.

You will just have to learn to drive around it if towing isn't your primary use.

Manifold/turbine blankets and a spool aid would probably do wonders.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed A Garret Stage 3 Ball-Bearing Turbo