3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installed extendable tow mirrors w/ led signals

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Installed extendable tow mirrors w/ led signals

Even though the tow mirrors are big, I was looking for a little bigger mirror. Eyes are getting old, Hard to see sometimes. Well after looking at several different ones I got a great deal on the Mopar replacements w/ leds on ebay. They still are power/heated but with led running/turn lamps. The mirrors are 7.5"x10", 17" long and extend 4.5" to 20" out from the window. I had looked at getting the Schefenacker tow mirrors but those are spendy. Mopars are spendy but I have found them about $100 less than Schefenacker. Mopars are made by ****. Saved about $200 on the Mopar ones , but they're used and came without instructions. They still look new though. Previous owner had the dealer install on his truck, decided they were a little too big and bought regular tow mirrors and had the dealer swap them out. I figured it couldn't be that hard to wire them up after all the Navy taught me electronics. Arcs and sparks, zap, OWW. Swapping the mirrors was no problem. Remove the door panels, remove three nuts, and unclip the connector. Used a 12 volt battery and jumper wires to figure out which leds were the running lights(pin 7) and which were the turn signal(pin 8). Original power/heated mirror had only five pins. I used the installation instructions that Schefenacker had on thier web site, good instructions with pictures. Here are the links: http://www.ttt-mirror.com/pdf/Fittin...tionsDodge.pdf and thier 2004 supplement http://www.ttt-mirror.com/pdf/6020Update.pdf. Ran yellow wires for the running lamps, red wire for the left(port) and green(starboard) for the right. Tapped the lights under the fuse box. The running lamps yellow wires tapped to white/yellow wire on connector A pin 19, left turn signal red wire to white/light green wire on connector B pin 12 and right turn signal green to white/tan wire on connector B pin 15. I modified some female pins for the mirror connector. Checked the operation of each before putting every thing back on for good connections and it all worked perfectly. I think the larger mirrors fit the truck better. The running lamps are three leds horizontal in the lens and the turn signals are three leds in a triangle on the end to the lens. Pics with lights on are in my gallery. Here's are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Installed extendable tow mirrors w/ led signals-old-new-mirror.jpg   Installed extendable tow mirrors w/ led signals-new-mirrors.jpg   Installed extendable tow mirrors w/ led signals-new-mirrors-1.jpg   Installed extendable tow mirrors w/ led signals-mirror.jpg   Installed extendable tow mirrors w/ led signals-drivers-side.jpg  

Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 AM

Nice Looking. Might be an upgrade for me, as I would like to have the LED lights on the mirrors.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:56 AM

i would like to see a mirror that incorperates a 7" convex mirror for hauling my 53" trailer !!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:03 AM

Mopar part number for mirrors

Almost forgot. The mopar part number is 82209293. The catalog description: 7.5"x10" Trailer Tow Mirror (power/heated/turn signal & side marker lights);
left and right mirrors, factory mirrors must be removed, power control and
defrost functions remain active. Mine was used but a new set should have the parts and instruction to install.
Here is a link to the best price I've found : http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214295.
About $100 less than retail and less than ebay.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Chapter President

If anything happens to my mirrors I was planning on putting those on. Switching out mirrors is nothing really. I had to replace both mirrors on a buddy's truck, the hardest part was getting the tools in between the door and the door panels, until I dropped the 10MM deep socket in the door and took the rest of it apart, that was easy so that's how I did the other side. They look like Mickey Mouse ears, but for towing I bet they are awsome. BTW the truck their on is cool too.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not bad at all.

MikeyB
Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks Duallydog. Never thought about the mickey mouse ears. First comment I had after putting them on was from my buddy's wife. She said it makes the truck look tuff. Gotta love those Texas women they know what looks good on a truck. They should be nice pulling either the 24' stock or the 40' Sundowner at the ranch. Didn't like the fact when I flipped them up or down I had to readjust the mirrors.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:45 AM

Hey Cayuse66, nice job and thankyou. I thought I was finally done for a while. I wanted to ask about your step bars. I like the fact they go back a bit farther than the rear doors. I always have problems seeing into my truck box. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Chapter President

They really look like Mickey Mouse ears when their on a Chevy. My old roommate had stock mirrors on his Chevy and he put those on (minus the signals). Are you in Texas or is your buddies wife from Texas?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:24 AM

NB64,
The step bars were on the truck when I bought it. They're made by waag. Wheel to wheel bar. Eventually will replace with n-fab six step bars, they look a little nicer tucked up next to the body.

Duallydog,
I was stationed in Corpus back in 92 for 2 years, best duty station I had. My buddy's wife is from Texas. They both just retired after doing 20 and are moving bak to around Weatherford area in Jan. I'm from NM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Chapter President

The Weatherford area is growing, (everybody and their dog wants to move there, talk about traffic in the new areas of town) I'm an hour from Weatherford.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:33 PM

How do the mirrors perform in the extended position?
Any vibrations or fluttering from wind?
Thanks!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:50 PM

06RAMCTD,
I haven't tried them extended yet. Will let you know. No vibrations or fluttering in though. They feel solid on the arms.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:16 AM

cool mod got me thinking i should add a set of those