3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Input on Cat-Back exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Input on Cat-Back exhaust.

Hi guys, new here.
Had several diesels but we just last week bought our first Dodge, I posted a pic and some info in the Introduction section but here is the short story.
We purchased a very nice 2007 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 long bed dually with 5.9 power and the six-speed manual trans.
The truck had less than 40k on it when we took possession. One owner truck.
We are going to use this truck to tow, mostly a boat in the summer but we also have a 35' 5er that we will take out 5-6 times a year.
I have done a fair amount of research, and have ordered a set of gauges (boost, Pyro and fuel pressure), a new turn over ball and and Companion 5er hitch. Also have a Jakobs/Cummins E-brake coming.
I have a handful of Baldwin FP7977 5 micron fuel filters headed my way, and am researching addition fuel filtration options.
Also looking for someplace to order some Mobil Delvac 50 for the trans.

At this point I have run through my allowance for the next few months, as you might imagine.

However, at some point I am going to want a Cat-Back system for the truck. I wanna hear the Cummins sing, but I do not want a straight piped truck, or a real loud setup. I am also aware of a drone problem these trucks can exhibit and don't want that.
Just a nice, free flowing, nice sounding mellow system that won't rust off the truck and won't make my ears ring.

Looking for any advice on option to look at, and anything you think I should cross off the list would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck sounds sweet!
A 30'' FTE resonator by its self will give you a full Cummins sound and you could add a straight through muff if you want it quieter.

The res. will kill off drone. Mount it in the CAT location.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a 4" straight pipe, but left the cat in rather than buy a resonator or muffler. Exits at stock location and sounds just a little more throaty from inside, really is not obnoxious at all. I have not noticed any drone in the cab either.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gorms
I have a 4" straight pipe, but left the cat in rather than buy a resonator or muffler. Exits at stock location and sounds just a little more throaty from inside, really is not obnoxious at all. I have not noticed any drone in the cab either.
Interesting, hadn't considered the effect the operational Cat would have on controlling sound. thanks...that may be a way to go.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, the CAT does quiet it down.
I had drone so i pulled the CAT & went with the FTE res. = more better!