Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   Increase milage (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/increase-milage-330565/)

wtausa1 07-11-2018 07:40 AM

Increase milage

Have 05 Ram 2500 semi stock, 5.9, G56 6th speed, Raid cold air intake, Edge with Attitude and After oil filter. Would like to increase fuel mileage.
Would a new intake manifold and exhaust manifold along with larger injectors along with boost fuel pump be Helpful?
Any Help will be Appreciated as I am new to this.
Thanks,
Tom

marathon 07-11-2018 09:01 AM

Keep tires up and keep out of right foot. I've gotten 21+ in mine. Get rid of anything that increases your air drag. These trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick and lots of add-ons sticking out makes it worse.

Free breathing manifold/exhaust and larger injectors along with a matched turbo will improve things but most people can't keep their foot out of it.

mega-engr 07-12-2018 05:45 PM

Ya, nice upgrades just make you want to use more fuel and have more fun :-). The biggest bang for your buck by far is your driving style. 70% of any improvement in MPG will be the one in the driver seat.

HighTen 08-25-2018 12:02 AM

From all my reading here I've concluded (correctly, I hope) that the biggest mileage gains are from the most expensive accessories.[laugh] It sounds like new injector nozzles, camshafts, and some programmers make the most significant changes. It just seems like air intakes and exhaust get mixed results. But, this could be the right foot influence others are talking about also.

mopardamo 10-25-2018 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by HighTen (Post 3352234)
From all my reading here I've concluded (correctly, I hope) that the biggest mileage gains are from the most expensive accessories.[laugh] It sounds like new injector nozzles, camshafts, and some programmers make the most significant changes. It just seems like air intakes and exhaust get mixed results. But, this could be the right foot influence others are talking about also.

Everyone should be totally secure in their mid by now that NO exhaust or intake mod will help with a truck under 600HP. Make more noise yes! Not my cup of tea. I have Bosch 60PHP injectors in a fresh rebuild and a colt cam the same guy goes overboard and says will improve mileage with his combo. Well I have it. NOT TRUE. I could care less about spending money and then say "Oh It didi XXXX". Who wants to spend 600 to 20,000 and say it was not an improvement. It is emotionally out of reason for most folks.

Connotaucarius 05-08-2019 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by marathon (Post 3350532)
Keep tires up and keep out of right foot. I've gotten 21+ in mine. Get rid of anything that increases your air drag. These trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick and lots of add-ons sticking out makes it worse.

Free breathing manifold/exhaust and larger injectors along with a matched turbo will improve things but most people can't keep their foot out of it.

The best fuel economy I have seen is 22 MPG hand calculated. That was maintaining the cruise control at 65mph and running 1 Oz of power service per 2 gallons of fuel. Besides the driver, power service is the cheapest and easiest way to improve fuel economy.

Danderson 05-10-2019 08:35 AM

A 275-80-17 needs to come out. Tall and skinny

Fordzilla 05-10-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson (Post 3360503)
A 275-80-17 needs to come out. Tall and skinny

Goodyear Wrangler is all I found in that size, but only in Load Range D...[roll]...Ben

bonus 07-14-2019 02:35 PM

WTAUSA1, you did not tell us what Tires you have on the Truck,,,