3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

I love Power Wagon fender flares but......

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I love Power Wagon fender flares but......

they don't tape to the fender! The Dodge Power Wagon fender flares are perfect for me. I like the color, size, proportions, etc. However there is no 3M tape to seal the flares to the fender! So the little rubber seal thingy on the flare will rub through the paint eventually.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I know alot of guys have the PW flares now. Did you use any tape? I want flares but i'm not ruining my paint to have them! I was thinking about the Warn flares but they are too small. Like I said...the PW flares are perfect except for the tape! Story of my life!
Old 01-16-2006, 11:04 AM

I just picked up a set of 285s from a Power Wagon owner. He had taken his flares off because they were scratching the paint and he said the same thing about how there was no tape behind them. He said you could put your fingernail behind it and pull it off the truck. I guess you could get some of the two-sided tape and put it behind them. They should come off pretty easy since they aren't taped on. He really liked my ATS flares....
Old 01-16-2006, 12:48 PM

Guys, That is why I like real bolt on flares. Has anyone tried clear paintable sealant. It shouldn't pull off the paint but will act as a gasket between the fender and the flare. You will still get some sun fade but it won't hold water and gunk under the flare.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't noticed any rubbing with my PW flares. Personally, I like the design. They bolt nicely onto the fender and match the contours of the truck perfectly.

If it did rub a little bit over time, what difference would it make. It would be under the flare and I don't plan on ever taking them off.

I am more worried about rock chips on the rocker panel. If that become a problem then I will line-x those and probably under the pw flares too.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:50 PM

I have 2 cherokees that have the factory flares bolted on and no tape to guard the paint. One jeep is a 92 with 184,XXX and the other is a 94 with 256,XXX on them. I don't recall seeing any real paint damage from the flares on either of these... I don't really think it would be a problem...
Old 01-16-2006, 05:26 PM

I have some bushwaker flares on my truck that dont tape either. I am going to line-x the rockerpanels and the flares all at once. I will have Line-x folks go about 1/8" pass the flares to make a little seal from flares to truck.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:33 PM

Maybe you guys in AL have better Line X dealers than in Missouri but I have used it on all 3 trucks and am not sure what to try next. I would like to keep that clean Line X look while getting a little more durability. I keep takin hunks out of the stuff that is sprayed in the bed with the heavy gang boxes I put in it for work. Maybe I should go with the Concrete liner
Old 01-16-2006, 05:38 PM

the zenon flares are pretty close to the pw flares and they have the tape on them.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 PM

Dodgezilla...Your flares look good!

I would like to see some pics of Zenon flares unpainted....

I think it is very important for the flare to seal completely with the fender. This is how must OEM flares attach. Go look a flare on a Toyota and see if you can get dirt between it and the fender. I don't think so! That is why I get frustrated with the PW flares. They are so close to perfect except they forgot the darn double sided tape!

Thanks for everyones input.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:03 AM

Fender Flares

I don't have the PW Flares on my truck, but I put the Bush Wackers on one of my trucks and they did trap sand and dirt behind them... enough said.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MOJAVE RIDER
I don't have the PW Flares on my truck, but I put the Bush Wackers on one of my trucks and they did trap sand and dirt behind them... enough said.

Yep! I thought that may happen! The flares have to be sealed for them not to damage paint.

Anybody figured out how to fix the PW flares for this?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM

So has anyone solved this problem yet? I still like the looks of the PW flares the best! They just need some tape!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM

Why not try to find some of the 3m tape to put behind yours?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 AM

Go to an auto parts store and buy a roll of 3M trim tape.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by topless
Go to an auto parts store and buy a roll of 3M trim tape.
THATS WHAT I DID WITH MINE. WORKED SWEET!!

Quick Reply: I love Power Wagon fender flares but......