Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/)
-   -   I Love My Smarty Jr. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-high-performance-accessories-5-9l-only-107/i-love-my-smarty-jr-312135/)

john40 05-18-2013 01:14 PM

I Love My Smarty Jr.

I just had my first towing experience with my Smarty Jr. With the same load (12,000# fifth wheel) and the same grade; without, the speed was a little less than 50 mph and with, it was 60 mph. But more importantly, the EGT's were about 200 degrees lower. I haven't checked the mileage, but it seems to be about the same. It is set at SW-1, TM-2 and TQ-4, due to a stock transmission.
John

rockcrawler304 05-19-2013 04:06 PM

Great news! I love my Jr, as well. Every bit of driving is better. [guitar] Now I just need a new clutch to turn it back up again!! [coffee]

john40 05-19-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304 (Post 3184346)
Great news! I love my Jr, as well. Every bit of driving is better. [guitar] Now I just need a new clutch to turn it back up again!! [coffee]

I really wish I had a 6 speed manual trans, but I bought my truck used. My last truck was a '98 12v, 5 speed manual. I would have kept that truck, but due to the smog nonsense in Calif. I had to get rid of it.
John

Big-D 05-21-2013 10:04 AM

I used to love my Smarty Jr. until my last download a couple years ago. Still Edit about it. I had all the power, performance and functionality i wanted and after reading posts on here decided to do the software update. That's where everything went south for me. The performance is in the Edit compared to the previous version. I'm old school and like to open my door when backing up. Now when I do that the horn/alarm goes off. There is no undo. I originally bought the smarty to update my tire size for the speedo and transmission shift points with hopes of better mileage. What i learned with the updates is if your happy with what you got LEAVE IT ALONE! NO UNDO, Im reminded of this every time i open my door while backing. I don't regret buying the smarty jr. just regret doing the update. I haven't been happy with it since. Thats my 2 cents...

john40 05-21-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big-D (Post 3184614)
I used to love my Smarty Jr. until my last download a couple years ago. Still Edit about it. I had all the power, performance and functionality i wanted and after reading posts on here decided to do the software update. That's where everything went south for me. The performance is in the Edit compared to the previous version. I'm old school and like to open my door when backing up. Now when I do that the horn/alarm goes off. There is no undo. I originally bought the smarty to update my tire size for the speedo and transmission shift points with hopes of better mileage. What i learned with the updates is if your happy with what you got LEAVE IT ALONE! NO UNDO, Im reminded of this every time i open my door while backing. I don't regret buying the smarty jr. just regret doing the update. I haven't been happy with it since. Thats my 2 cents...

Are you running version 514b, which apparently came out on Oct. '12? That's the version that came with mine. If you don't have this update, perhaps you should try it. It works fine for me.
Good luck-John

Big-D 05-21-2013 01:41 PM

Ill check and see what version i have and post it here. It was from 2009 or 2010. So not the same version you have. I tried performance mode before and after the update and it became a slug after the update with the annoying horn/alarm if i opened the door in reverse. Wish there was an UNDO!

rockcrawler304 05-21-2013 09:41 PM

5.14b is the latest version and best one so far.

The horn thing is not from the Smarty, that's a Dodge thing. Have you tried to take the truck back to stock and see if it still does it? The Smarty saves your OEM program as is and reloads it when going to Stock.

Big-D 05-21-2013 11:30 PM

I have version 5.12A Have only had issues with horn since installing this version. I'm 99.999% sure it is a MADS issue.

Big-D 05-22-2013 02:20 PM

So im am updating to 5.14b and it erased the previous version and errors repeatedly while trying to load the new version. I basically have a smarty jr. paper weight. I should probably start a new thread. This is frustrating.... Good luck to you all.

Big-D 05-22-2013 02:25 PM

Guess i jumped the gun! After bout twenty minutes of restarting the load it got down to 1 second remaining where it stayed for another 10 minutes plus and out of the blue it completed the load. I don't remember software updates being this troublesome. I stand by my previous statement. "What i learned with the updates is if your happy with what you got LEAVE IT ALONE!"

verdesardog 05-22-2013 02:51 PM

FYI ...I don't think the smarty loads your OEM program into it, it uses the latetest OEM program stored in a non volital memory. If you try to go back to stock the smarty loads whatever OEM program it had in it when the smarty was first programed with when it was built.

rockcrawler304 05-22-2013 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by verdesardog (Post 3184764)
FYI ...I don't think the smarty loads your OEM program into it, it uses the latetest OEM program stored in a non volital memory. If you try to go back to stock the smarty loads whatever OEM program it had in it when the smarty was first programed with when it was built.

I'm pretty sure it saves your current ECM program.

From MADS user guide.

During the first
programming, the following screen will appear which
indicates a STOCK ECM program is installed:
Smarty will read the serial number of your vehicle
and the serial number of your ECM, then store
them into its onboard memory for future reference
From this moment on, Smarty will work only with
your vehicle until your vehicle is restored back to
the stock settings by Smarty.

Big-D 05-22-2013 10:08 PM

I installed 5.14b. It has much better power than 5.12a now if i could get rid of that annoying horn. (think I'm stuck with it)

verdesardog 05-22-2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304 (Post 3184788)
I'm pretty sure it saves your current ECM program.

From MADS user guide.

The smarty reads your VIN not the program in the ecm....go ask MADS

john40 05-23-2013 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304 (Post 3184706)
5.14b is the latest version and best one so far.

The horn thing is not from the Smarty, that's a Dodge thing. Have you tried to take the truck back to stock and see if it still does it? The Smarty saves your OEM program as is and reloads it when going to Stock.

My '06 has always had the "horn thing", with and without the Smarty Jr.
John